Unlikely Crosses?

So I am planning a new cross and it seems like my choices for parents is pretty bizarre. I have no idea what to expect, but I am really curious about what will happen. The parents will be Transkei (landrace sativa) and Black Mamba CBD (heavily indica dominant auto). So the parents are extremely different.

Has anyone here done unlikely crosses like this? I’d love to hear about them.

3 Likes

mixing photoperiod and auto, you’ll have about a 25% chance of an autoflower (depending). as far as mixing indicas and sativas, it’s done quite often. You should have quite a few phenotypes off that mix in varying mixtures of the parents.

4 Likes

Ideally, I’d end up with some balanced sativa/indica genotypes with a good amount of CBD, managable flowering time and height, with the flavour and “cleanness” of Transkei (from what I have read). Auto would be nice, but not necessary. I could select and run for multiple generations if necessary. I’m in no rush. Some purple/black mixed in with the Transkei’s lime green would be cool to see, but again not necessary.

5 Likes

I’ll probably end up crossing Transkei to Original Afghani landrace as well, for a more traditional hybrid. Transghani is a cool potential name for that one. Might try other crosses too. I’ve got quite a lot of strains to play with. :smile:

4 Likes

You can also BX as well, if needed to the autoflower cbd to increase cbd and autoflower %

2 Likes

That thought occurred to me. The possibilities are endless. I guess that’s why I enjoy this so much, even as a novice.

2 Likes

As it was explained to me, 25% auto will show up f2, but all original crosses will be regs as auto is a recessive trait.

7 Likes

Yep. That’s what I’ve read. I also read the F1s will be “fast photos”. I dunno.

3 Likes

The 1st cross of photo and auto will give you 100% regular seeds and if you grow out some of the crosses’ seeds - with crossing the "f1’s’ to make some auto’s - ( roughly 25% ) and choose two auto’s to breed with and BINGO - some auto’s .!
Good luck to you bud.

Yeah @Badfishy1 you’re correct mate.
Happy growing/smoking ,
Gaz

4 Likes

…I’m thinking 1980s weed with a bit of auto-twist. :smile: Wild & woolly…

:evergreen_tree: woogieboogie

3 Likes

Right on! I miss 80’s weed! I’ve got a name picked out already!

2 Likes

On the F2 generation you’ll get 25% autos, as you stated :thumbsup:, 50% “fast” photos, and 25% photos.
The “fast” photos are often not faster than the photos, because the single auto flowering gene is recessive, meaning that a weakly dominant photo gene must be present for fast flowering to occur.
AA x aa = Aa (f1)
Aa x Aa = AA, aa, Aa, Aa (f2)
25% aa
50% Aa
25% AA

10 Likes

Thanks everyone for explaining recessive Mandelian genetics for me. I’ve explained this several times before.

10 Likes

Growing out highly different strains could allow you to come out with two or three different unique lines if you have a clear idea of where you’re going. There should also be a high chance of hybrid vigor if you properly line-breed the hybrid, but that’s not important right now. The most important fact right now is that Mendelian genetics assumes you have an infinite population. Unless you can purchase a few hundred seeds direct from the breeders, – which is by far the best option if that is possible – I have two suggestions.

First, If you inbreed each line once to multiply the seeds you have to choose from, you will automatically increase your chance of producing a successful cross by decreasing the chance of breeding with any shitty parents. Growing out two generations of each of these lines will give you a better idea of what the cream of the crop looks like, too.
Second, When you cross the two parental lines together without having already vetted their combining ability, using multiple males of Line-A to pollinate the females of Line-B and multiple males from Line-B to pollinate the females from Line-A will increase your chance of success compared to one-on-one crosses.

TL:DR = Plants are lottery tickets, more plants to choose from increases the chance of a jackpot

10 Likes

Awesome advice! Thanks for that!

3 Likes

…there’s a saying about a saying about doing the same thing repeatedly with the same results.

–Howie Mandel, acclaimed geneticist

:evergreen_tree: :upside_down: :hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

You lost me at “Auto”

1 Like

Fair enough. Feel like explaining that a bit?

2 Likes

I don’t want any Ruderalis infiltrating my gene pool. Just a personal preference. Same thing with feminized. Don’t like either of them. I can see their merit, but i’d rather they stay as far away from my gene pool as possible.

8 Likes

Again, fair enough.

I figure it is easy enough to control pollen that there’s room for anything in my tent.

3 Likes