Males in feminized seeds?

I was reading something about occasional true males appearing from feminized stock has anyone else ever come across this knowing that the seeds came from a legit source or made yourself??

6 Likes

It’s genetically impossible to get a true male from selfing a female plant.

A female is XX and a male is XY. When you cross XX to itself (XX) you only get XX.

What you can see is a magnification of its recessive or undesirable traits due to inbreeding. For example, if you have a plant that might exhibit intersex issues there is a chance that can be magnified by crossing that plant to itself.

14 Likes

Yep, I forget the number, but its like 2 per 8k plants or something…I’ll go see if I can find it…

under seeds and Fems

3 Likes

i agree with @SCJedi, it’s a genetic impossibility, imo it wouldn’t be a true male but an intersex plant

2 Likes

Then whats this?

Out of the last 10 or 12 FEM auto seeds Ive sprouted, 4 have been males - or at least they sure looked like males to me.

Prior to that, with photo FEMs, I only had one true male, and several herms, out of maybe 15 or 20 total seeds.

3 Likes

I would say that picture is the culmination of one or more lies. Switch who you are buying your seeds from

13 Likes

I completely understand what your saying sc… but if a fem is xx and a male is xy. what is a female w hermaphrodite expression. I just cant see it being xx always. I dont have experience selfing… but aren’t there some that will not reverse in the process of being treated? I dont think that it is completely impossible but is very unusual to see a male and is probably alot of shady practice goin on but I cant vouch for or discredit anyone for somthing that I’m not completely sure of

1 Like

I know this for humans but doesn’t it say it is an xy chromosome but exhibiting female genetalia. couldn’t this possibly happen w plants I’m no scientist. hence the reason I raise this discussion lol!

I’m recently diving into more advanced breeding and am just trying to gain a better understanding of things. thanks everyone for any input!

and then there’s the huge factor of cross pollination on top of shady practice hard to decide who’s telling the truth on what or if it was just a missed accident.

also I’ve heard breeder talking about 75%fem rates…?.? is this from crossing a fem to a standard increasing fem rate or what’s up w that??

It would be a female that is deficient in female hormones. If a plant doesnt produce female flowering hormones, or they are blocked with silver, the plant will produce male flowers.

7 Likes

So who are you accusing of telling the lies - me or the seed producer or both?

Im going to assume your not accusing me of making this up, but that still leaves you accusing a seed seller of lying to their customers.

What do you think they are doing exactly? You think they pull out a few random male seeds to fill in on orders? So when I ordered 10 seeds from @Sebring seeds, or Nirvana, that they gave me 6 or 8 actual FEM seeds then tossed in 2 to 4 male seeds or some random seeds they just had laying around?

When I posted those pics, I wasnt trying to start a fight. Those are from my grows from FEM seeds ordered from well respected sources. I was asking an honest question. I Know Im not the first person to ever get males from a batch of fem seeds.

Im still not wanting to get into a fight, but lies? Really?

3 Likes

I had a fem auto that was 100% male, no sign of female parts anywhere. All the rest I’ve done from those seeds have been 100% female, no hermies or any bananas even

Whether it was some genetic anomaly or a seed mix up I really can’t say.

6 Likes

My goodness no. I’m certainly not suggesting that you, nor another member here are pulling shady tricks but you’d be surprised what people do for a fast buck or some street cred. I promise that the cannabis game is no different than any other hustle. I mean just stop and look back at the whole Dinafem seed scam from a year or so ago.

It’s probably a mistake on my part to presume that someone gave you regs when you asked or ordered fems. I promise picking a fight is the last thing I want to do. Sorry, I’ll bow out.

12 Likes

Feminized seeds were once advertised as 99% female I guess this practice is no longer in use?

After reading the whole thing I think maybe you got regular autos sent on accident look at it as a possible blessing you can make enough autos for a lifetime :sunglasses:

1 Like

I had recieved 5 seeds of a Strain that is supposed fem only and had 1 male. 2 out of 5u the offspring have similar traits the that of the female that I still have.

2 Likes

2 Likes