Why I grow in Coco Coir

You can grow pot in coco.

24 Likes

I’m a coco fan also, at least for indoor.

Big plants in small pots. The biggest pots I have are 5 liter, but usually I work with 2 or 3 liter.

8 Likes

I second that,the biggest pot I used for Coco was a 1 GAL

2 Likes

I use a airpot.

2 Likes

This Is my result with Coco What Coco HFF looks like at the end

4 Likes

Holy smokes, man!!! Outstanding!!!

I only use soil and maxibloom and have never had roots like that!..lol

1 Like

Impressive!.
I want to try the airpots, but I see it a little expensive (for what it is)
I am searching for an insulation used in houses basements for draining that is like that, but without holes, so I only have to make holes in it…

1 Like

@Tappy DISCLAIMER:Using HFF only you will keep such a Little pot healthy for the roots.

I must clarify those were One of the MOST mistreated autos I run,I Just set the rez and used to forget It.I ve had very Better roots than those,the post was just to give awareness to everyone that: FACT: in Coco the smaller the pot the Better.
Indeed I had a solo Cup grow that couldnt make It because the plant was too big to support It and got cut early in flower.

@Piter You can also drill holes in a standard pot.Or try Just One Airpot and decide if It Is worth to buy more

1 Like

I suggest getting air pots if you are growing in coco and fertigating often. @piter They are worth the money and you can reuse them forever. I tried using regular pots with holes a few times and the roots would always immediately reach to the outer edge of the coco to get air before growing straight down the side of the pot, there would never be any roots in the center of the planter. As soon as I switched to air pots the roots were strong and almost binding the planter without enough pearlite. I guess its just a question of how much your time is worth making them with a lot of holes.

3 Likes

Gnats love coco and even more so in airpots

Best to bottom feed and line inside bottom and sides of airpot with weed control fabric ( stop access )

Rockwool for the win : ) it’s everything your trying coco to be , with out all the hassle and uncertainty ( guessing )

Why I grow in rockwool
: )

@Andrexl an old soldering iron is great for puttin smooth holes in plastic and for diy plastic welding

10 Likes

Post relocated

6 Likes

You could also research a product called Miradrain. There might be some rom for ingenuity there! :wink:

2 Likes

I recently used these refrigerator bags for fruit. Like a very fine durable nylon mesh. Held just over a gl of Coco. Started them in little 2" net pots then stuck em on top of that bag and tied it shut (no gnats!) and put em on cap mats. Watered top down for a week to develop some runners. Once I got the regulator dialed in it was smooth sailing. I ran a continuous loop of tubing out from, and back too the res, left on constant recirculation. A line out to the mat controlled by a solenoid wired to a relay receiving input from a capacitive sensor in the mat. From there they drank whatever they wanted and I had zero drain to waste while keeping a constant feed solution concentration. Functionaly operated much like a flood and drain in terms of water cycling, but with shorter intervals. One nice observation with this was any salt precipitation occurs at the top and is easy to see in those bags. I could dial in my feed solution until there was none present and easily avoid overfeeding. I think I’ll be on this method for a while.

3 Likes

Although I agree with most of your message, I fear you loose some credibility in calling out the periodic table as organic. Organic refers to carbon based chemistry. The table is simply the catalog of elements that may or may not join the organic party depending on how they get along with carbon. You likely won’t find many noble gases at that gathering and they occupy an entire column. I think you may be confusing the marketing definition of organic, which loosely means natural in application, with the scientific definition. Something to consider.

5 Likes

Can you show a picture of the system?
I am not getting how It works :frowning:

1 Like

With top feeding
Your feed plusssss the salt build up is being pushed into the root zone @Cannacryptic

love the gnat control : )

You can make your own custom sized bags with weed controll fabric , if you need them bigger

1 Like

As much as I agree with most of your message (as @Cannacryptic do), I do also believe some of the arguments you use are a bit biased. :slight_smile:

Indeed coco has a lot of advantages for indoor garden. But it also has some disadvantages (a tad more preparation time/effort to buffer it for example, need to flush it against salt build-ups, …).

I don’t experience nasty smells when growing in soil.

But then there’s also the synthetic vs. organic part of your post

Though humans have been growing their food for centuries this way. More chockingly, they even used human feces, when it was not at that time full of chemicals (not to mention its easy availability because it was not thrown in the rivers).

Coco/synthetics come with social, environmental and economical costs, which may be too much depending on your opinion. Think nasty industrial/chemical plants and their by products, human (sometimes very young) exploitation in mines (like the phosphate ones in Tunisia for example), dependency on corporations to be able to grow your food (even get seeds that are compatible with them to the most extreme of this logic), etc…

In the end which growing medium is the most superior is a personal choice depending on the criteria you choose. I believe once you stick to one and learn it well, you’re able to output something great anyway.

Welcome @Dragon btw :smiley:

7 Likes

Thanks for the welcome @funkyfunk

8 Likes

Actually you hit my point on the nose. Organic is a “marketing term” that has been used to deceive people.

1 Like

You throw a lot in the debate. :smiley:

Green energy won’t change anything to this. The problem in the end is not “how” energy is produced, it is “how much” is required by human activities. Chemical facilities do need a lot. Let’s not just mention “green energy” produced by nuclear plants and their, hum, nasty by products too. :smiley:

Not saying it is better. It’s different, and brings pros and cons you can choose depending on your criterias.

One of the pros being you can do your own organic. Or tend to. Sure it’s not always easy, and nowadays it’s difficult to completely break from the capitalist supplies.

I agree. There’s ton of industrial products labeled “organic” . Means too many things nowadays. That’s probably why other terms have emerged.

All that to agree: coco is a great medium, including in soil :smiley:

4 Likes