Why strain? 🦠

Although some cultivars are clone only as it then goes onto say so they would be the same genotype.

On strain he makes a fair point per below, but it’s interesting now I think about it that “strain” has sort of negative connotations (viruses, rodents). In that way strain fits in with a lot of cannabis terminology like calling the plant “weed”, or the hash “shit”. And I suppose it applies to a lot of descriptors like skunk, gas, cheese, piss, old shoes, etc.

This usage appears much more common in Cannabis than in other plants I have worked with. My guess is that this is because Cannabis breeders have not been as involved in the out-in-the-open cultivar development and naming and intellectual-property protection process as breeders of other plants.

2 Likes

Hi!

When in doubt, refer to:

International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants. 8th edition

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/278803724_International_Code_of_Nomenclature_for_Cultivated_Plants_8th_edition_Scripta_Horticulturae_10

4 Likes

Strain - a confused term having several meanings; in cultivated plant nomenclature: often referring to a seed-raised cryptic variety. See also: maintenance and selection

If 2009 says it is plant nomenclature, although confused, I accept. :wink:. Thanks for the great links and input @Mithridate .

2 Likes

The international society for horticultural science published a 9th edition in June 2016, which I couldn’t access freely. I doubt the word “strain” definition and usage changed much :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The big problem we are facing is that every category in plant nomenclature (cultivar, cultigen, varietal, variety, hybrid, etc.) assumes true breeding characteristics.

Cannabis is a clonally propagated plant, but most growers still grow from seed, thus we end up sitting between 2 chairs hah

A clone can be a cultivar, with defined characteristics, it does fit the definition. The line that specific clone comes from is a “strain” “cryptic seed varietal” unless true breeding.

As a whole, we barely have a foot in the door. Still, being better informed and knowing what constitutes proper plant taxonomy can only help us strive for higher expectations.

I’m a dreamer I guess, treating weed like other species could also instill some nobility and maybe tone down the hype hype hype everyday we are seeing.

8 Likes

Most of the mashup hybrids out there… they’re mutts. Cultivar seems a bit too lofty. Besides, I started using the word strain when I started growing weed. So I’ll just keep right on using it.

1 Like

The man has a point though…the sooner words with negative meanings like marijuana and weed go the way of the dinosaur, the better for mainstream support and acceptance of cannabis, which benefits the entire world.

2 Likes

I strained my groin reading this.

4 Likes

If I had to guess as to why, I would say its likely because we are way to stoned to care about proper anything let alone terminology, just my guess at it tho lol.

4 Likes

Whenever I hear someone refer to a strain as “cultivar or variety” they comes off as somebody trying to sound smart or new to growing cannabis. We’ve been calling them strains for as long as I can remember and we’ll just leave it at that.

4 Likes

This is how languages change and evolve. No stopping it, and how do you tell the masses they’re wrong when it’s accepted already. Lol. Not saying anyone is wrong, just a hypothetical. But I’m in agreement. And apparently it’s been a documented plant term for awhile if you read through this thread. :crazy_face:

Thanks for your input. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes