Wiki: Well known IBLs

That was sorta my point as well. I think a “true breeding” list is of more value then a IBL list. Just my two cents though.

So I know what standard botany describes as a ibl how many generations does everybody think are required before calling something a ibl.

1 Like

what is an ibl??? is that 20 yet?

1 Like

Filial 7. 20 characters

1 Like

I think number of generations isn’t a very meaningful metric. 5 generations of 1:1 breeding will have more homozygosity than 10 generations of open pollination.

6 Likes

I agree there are alot of variables to consider I think landraces with large phenotypic plasticity can still be considered inbred but not line bred for specific phenos. In terms of creating stable uniform lines I would say somewhere between 7-9 generations before you refer to something as a stable ibl.

4 Likes

Banana Kush IBL (Ghost OG x Sagamartha 60/40) F9 (JAWS)
Santa Maria F8 (Old Dutch Genetics)

4 Likes

Tom Hill’s pine tar kush is floating around.

3 Likes

Northern lights, isn’t this ibl too .
Afghani Black ,
Turkish Landrace ,
Paki -Black ,
Paki- Chitral - Kush
Pure Kush ??

Just a few candidates for IBL status. …
Interesting topic. !

Gaz

4 Likes

I assume true breeding to mean, you know what it looks (smells, kicks etc.) like before you grow it out. This is similar to my concept of IBL except the focus is on consistency for “true breeding” and purity for IBL.

Do you have a meaning for it that includes its effect on offspring?

2 Likes

True breading refers to the plants consistency to pass a certain trait/traits onto their offspring. IBLs are not necessarily stable or consistently pass on a certain trait or traits.

5 Likes

To quote dj short: “Homozygous alleles (true breeding trait combinations) become rare as the number of traits being bred for increases. To stabilize for one trait, there will be two phenotypes with a ratio of 3:1, and three genotypes with a ratio of 1:2:1. There is a one in four chance of a plant breeding true.”

5 Likes

Ace definitely has a few.

Nepal Jam is an F7 with the note:

“Genetic analyses show that Nepal Jam has a unique genotype and low genetic variability. Due to its stability, adaptability and resistance, we highly recommend Nepal Jam for breeding projects, and to develop fast flowering hybrids of warm and expansive effects.”

4 Likes

Dj short: “For example, the blueberry cannabis strain is considered a true breeding homozygous seed line because as a whole the many offspring have a similar look and produce a similar product. However there are often subtle differences between the plants of characters such as stem colour and potency. When taking a close look at blueberry, you will find heterozygous traits, but because of the whole overall look, we still generally consider them homozygous for the purpose of breeding programs. Using dogs is another way to explain this, take a dobie for example, you cant tell the difference between dobies, but you can tell a dobie from another breed.”

7 Likes