"Yes, I really do need all these plants." 🤣 Autoflowers, photoperiods, bugs, breeding (journal)

The link is spam :frowning: I reported it @moderators will likely remove it shortly.

2 Likes

Yep! Me too, thank you. They’re getting smarter, it didn’t have a link at first, they must have edited to add it in order to get around the automatic filters.

@Northern_Loki took care of it - thank you! I really appreciate the supportive mod action. :green_heart:

3 Likes

They’ve been doing this for awhile. It comes across in spurts.

They will post a response in semi-random threads. Many times the post is not really engaged with the thread, they don’t have a bunch of posts or interaction, they’re just off. They will then come back later to edit the post and add in some spam links, as you’ve noted.

In addition, they may have several accounts active at once. They’ll respond to each other, for instance. The individual responding will include spam that is linked to things such as on-line pharmacies.

Thanks for notifying us.

5 Likes

So you think even know there in the sixth week i should just relax eh ! I do agree sativa does grow at a slower rate . I think im going back to the books and maybe find out a little more about this strain and take it from there im sure sambbwell will help me out and mabye give me some proper advise appreciate you taking a look and everyone else that shared thank you for your time cheers Rain and everyone else

3 Likes

I know I am a little late now. But you discussed companion plants and such. I found out a few things in the last few years. I have a greenhouse-style setting which complicates any pest infestation.

In my place aphids and thrips are the major problems. Thrips apparently prefer cannabis plants. Currently I have red aphids, too. Those prefer my chili plants and even in the middle of canna plants they will pick the chillies. They also like dill and to a slightly lesser degree parsley and cilantro. The aphids left the pot alone as long as it was in vegetation but attacked my first plant in full flower later. Which is pretty bad since they get stuck in the resin and die there - thus contaminating the buds.

So, for a while some of those plants draw some pests. I am still waiting for my lavender to flower. They say that it is somewhat good for keeping pests away. My hopes are low on that, though.

Still using nicotine spray to keep things in check. Not very healthy but probably no worse than commercial bug killers.

6 Likes

Companion planting is a fascinating and crucial part to a healthy garden. One of the reasons people started consuming certain herbs more than others was how well they worked in the garden. I plant dill, basil, oregano, sage, thyme and marigolds every year usually. It’s super fun to observe your tiny ecosystem and make changes here and there and watch how everything adapts. I’m still learning in my new garden what pests I’ll have to deal with and adapt to. Right now it’s Japanese beetles which I have little experience with.

5 Likes

I would go grab a six pack of marigolds and stick them here and there. For some reason when I have a Marigold close aphids are not a problem. Even in their own pot is fine.

8 Likes

Ya I’ve noticed just planting stuff all willy nilly in the garden seems to help allot with no bugs getting outta control, herbs are a huge plus as they are very pungent and confusing to pests. That’s level 1.
Level 2 is actually figuring out symbiosis between plants. I’ve been doing fine on level 1. :joy:

5 Likes

Not sure if you like sunflowers or not @RainToday but really enjoying these, especially this huge one getting ready to bloom. I can’t wait. From a mixed pack so not even sure what it’s gonna look like

Also dill, flax, cosmos, red clover, and millet and cucumbers down there.

4 Likes

If you contact Cheerios (yup, the cereal) in the spring, they’ll send you a pack of sunflower seeds, to help the bees :grin:. I didn’t grow them out (no room when I got them), but they all sprouted almost instantly :grin:

3 Likes

I definately love cheerios.

3 Likes

They have an ad on the box about it when they’re offering, it’s also online. I can’t eat wheat, so I thought I’d hit the website, not REALLY thinking anything would come… But damn, a couple weeks later I had a cool lil cheerios pack in the mail :grin::metal:

Edit: well crap, they stopped doing it in 2024…dammit.

However, there’s this (if you’re in Canada at least) :grin:
https://www.simplyfrugal.ca/free-flower-seed-pack-from-beesmatter-ca/

2 Likes

Man Ive replanted my sunflowers threw times. Something keeps eating them. I think its rabbits. We’re overrun with bunnies this year. My dog has been slacking

3 Likes

I started these in solos and let them get a little size to them before putting them out. I have a problem with seedlings getting munched outside or just taking forever to get going.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve been just getting into learning more about level 2 myself. I learn the hard way usually though. Something I observed this year this far. I had a weed that attracted tons of black aphids, so much so that a conoly of ants were farming the aphids for sugar. These plants were absolutely covered with them. I had some in my garden too but not so bad as the weeds about 20 feet from my garden. I let them grow there and hosed them off every day to keep them busy rebuilding over away from the garden.

This year I pulled all those weeds before they could get established so my tiger Lilly’s could grow. Not a single black aphid has been spotted this year. The lesson I learned is while some plants may seem beneficial by moving insects away from your garden they may infact be the whole reason they are there to begin with.

I’m not well versed enough to know exactly what every plant around my neighborhood is and how it effects my gardens ecosystem but I can tell you this gardens eco system is way different from my previous one. And we’re talking less than 20 miles or so distance.

2 Likes

Hey @Northern_Loki . Is there any way to tell if you are interacting with an AI ( artificial intelligence ) computer program? I had read that some of those surf the internet and talk to people in order to learn.

1 Like

:laughing::laughing: I don’t know. There is an entire sub-field for AI countermeasures. I have no doubt that they are probably doing that though. The original training material is soaking up online information, wouldn’t be a stretch that they are using chat as well.

Not all AI apps are very good at sounding human, have been known to make-up facts, or doesn’t understand some simple correlations or interactions that humans are adept at.

Look up, Turing Test on Google. This may lead to some ideas.

2 Likes

In the middle of a conversation, ask 5 totally random questions, including at least 1 mathematical. If it answers the questions, and the math, without asking why, you’re talking to an AI.

4 Likes

I like this one. Make it difficult, obscure, and/or unrelated to your prior conversation.

2 Likes

Crap, outta likes… But you’re right, some really aren’t good at acting human. For sure!

If you ask totally bizarre questions you can get some really fun answers… Or if you ask the same question a ton, you’ll find the answers are cyclical. I’ve usually found the pattern at 7 questions, typically they repeat the first three.

They’re smart, but currently we’re still smarter (:crossed_fingers::joy:)

3 Likes