Yield Test No of lights vs Yield / Number of plants in 5x5 vs Yield

I do want to test this once i get a metal building. Did you seal a tent in plastic too to keep it in? How much does that co2 bottle cost you?

1 Like

I built a room using black and white poly. Itā€™s sealed, and I use light hoods with duct outlets. This allows me to pull in cool air from outside the room and run it over the lights, and also pull the heat away from the lights and exhaust it outdoors.

As for the CO2, the ā€œbottleā€ (50 pound tank, which actually weighs about 170 pounds empty!) is expensive, but it only costs me about $26 to get it refilled every 2 months or so.

Edit: hereā€™s a rare photo of my room when itā€™s empty. You can get a rudimentary idea of how the ducting works.

9 Likes

Iā€™m gonna put this in the backlog too. That would be a great test that me and my buddy can do.

2 Likes

If you donā€™t mind my asking, how large a room is that 50lb tank covering? Iā€™m planning to buy one myself once I get my basement room fully sealed, and Iā€™m curious what size I should be aiming for. Ugly that itā€™s so heavyā€¦ Iā€™m guessing if I need to go all the way for a 120lb, Iā€™d need to get it down the stairs on a handtruck, which is never fun.

2 Likes

I think Iā€™d plan to keep it on the main level and pipe it down to the grow area . Less work when it comes time to fill it.

2 Likes

:exploding_head: So simple itā€™s brilliant. Dunno why I didnā€™t think of thatā€¦ I can put it in the garage and it would literally be inches away from the basement wall. Duhā€¦ I guess itā€™ll be a lot easier to handle than I was thinking! The one upstairs wonā€™t be nearly as bad, thatā€™s only covering about 300 cubic feet.

1 Like

That tank is a nightmare. Itā€™s a long story, but I got a great deal on one that was actually 75 pounds (and it was full!), and traded it at my gas distributor for the 50 pound tank. If I had to buy one, Iā€™d pay the extra and get the aluminum one. That will solve all the weight issues.

Regarding the weigh issues - itā€™s hard to explain just how difficult it is to move that thing up and down stairs WITH a handtruck. In fact, I stopped using a handtruck to get it downstairs, and instead, use a long ramp with rails on the sides and just ease it down.

As for the room size, I think Iā€™ve mentioned it elsewhere, but itā€™s approx 10x12 (feet). For a similar sized room, you could get away with a 20 pound tank. Youā€™ll need to get more refills, and the refill for a 20 pound tank is only about $5 less than the 50 pounder.

3 Likes

Oh, hey (your name here) - whatā€™s up with that tank with the electric regulator over there in the corner of your garage/living room/laundry room/etc.?

Yes, Iā€™ve thought about putting it on the main level, but I have less worry if itā€™s in the basement. Itā€™s a PITA to deal with every 2 months or so, but then I donā€™t have to worry about it being seen.

2 Likes

Ok, so probably 120lb would be the way to go on this one. Mine is a bit larger, 10x20 or so. Thanks for the benchmarks and the advice on aluminum, in that case it might be simpler to get it to the basement and much more discreet, as you say. :+1:

1 Like

What do you mean by 120lb?

1 Like

A 120 pound tankā€¦ isnā€™t that an option? I was talking with someone else and he mentioned 50 and 120 pounds as size options, maybe thatā€™s wrong. I havenā€™t fully done my research yet, still working on getting the room sealed and putting up a few more lightrails myself before I supplement CO2.

1 Like

The common sizes at the local gas distributor are 5lb, 10lb, 20lb and 50lb. My 75 pound tank that I traded for the 50 pounder was a rarity, and I canā€™t even image what one would look like that was almost 2.5 times bigger. I think you may have confused a 20 pounder with a 120 pounder.

Edit: Upon further review, it looks like thereā€™s a 100 pound tank, but itā€™s also a rarity.

1 Like

Gotta run for an appointment, but you may be right about the 120lbā€¦ I also just checked Google and came up with all of one company that seems to be specialized in cryonics or somesuch, they sell the 75 and 100lb sizes but theyā€™re also steel rather than aluminum. Ugh. :frowning: Anyway, thanks for the help! Gotta run or I will be late, for a very very important dateā€¦

2 Likes

Was this untrained or filling a net? Was there any difference in the length of time in veg?

@Seamonkey84
Very good points! We both had garden rope run in 4ā€™s and around the 4 corners of the tent. The 4ā€™s were used to tie down anything too close to the LEDS. We both had to do it and we both had to jack up our LEDS way above the clicks and wrap it around the roof supports to get that extra 2 inchesā€¦

I will get that info from him and let me go back and look up in my journal and seeā€¦ Thanks again for bring this up.

Edited : We both topped our plants.

1 Like