Yield Test No of lights vs Yield / Number of plants in 5x5 vs Yield

I posted this in my grow journal but decided to re post this as I felt it had some good info for first time grows.

Being a system engineer, I am always collecting data to increase performance. Always trying to dial it in. There were two test that were conducted this grow.

The first test consisted of

two growers
    With the same size tent 5x5
    Growing the same strains/ clones from batch 1
    Growing indoors
    Using octopts w/ same soil sunshine mix#4
    Same number of plants #3
    Same Nutes / TPS1 – Feed the same per feeding directions.
    Same type of LED lights set on 75% - Abriselux A2000 LED Grow Light Dimmable with 5x4ft Coverage and Upgraded Larger Board, Full Spectrum Grow Lamps for Indoor Hydroponic Growing Light with High PPFD (Actual Power 200Watt).
    Both Grows flowered for 8.5 weeks
    Both Grows were wash and then dried till snap

Difference Between Growers
    One grower used two set of lights
    One grower (me) used three set of lights

I am coaching a couple new growers a long and one of them is a buddy of mine. When I got my setup he pretty much had me create a verbatim shopping list of what I bought all the way down to the nutes, soil , etc. His grow was about 2 weeks ahead of my batch 2. I said lets compare our yields and figure out if the 3rd light really makes a difference… Well… it looks like it does…

2021-12-09 23_13_34-2021-12-09 15_13_21-thingsssss - Excel.png ‎- Photos

4.5 OZ difference is a pretty big difference in my book. Well worth the purchase of a 3rd light. Running the lights at 75% and not all the way up in freedom rock level I experience no foxtailing and no purple stressed out stems.

The second test was conducted with data from my first batch. The second batch were clones from batch 1 - wedding cake and unknow 2000ish indica.

The difference this time was that I grew 4 plants batch 1. I only grew 3 in batch 2. Batch 2 was out of the ball park higher than batch 1.

If you look at the diagram below you will notice that in batch 2 WC1 is the winner in yield while the other two are around the same yield amount. Notice where WC1 sat in the tent? Yah it had much more room to grow. Makes me think “Wonder what two plants per tents would yield” This would cost more in infrastructure (lights, dehumidifier,ac,etc) but in the end would it pay itself off? I might run this test in the future and see.

2021-12-09 15_13_11-Drawing1 - Microsoft Visio (Product Activation Failed)
2021-12-09 15_13_02-Drawing1 - Microsoft Visio (Product Activation Failed)

Thought some would be interested in this information. If any new growers come across this consider these things.

Don’t go putting 6 plants in a small space. Do the opposite. Put one plant in a small space.
Consider using octopots. You will not be disappointed.
More light is more yield. This is about coverage not brightness though.
3 Likes

What was the light schedule? The amount of hours?

I’m currently in an experiment where they’re only getting 8 hours of light now during flowering.
They seem to love it. Noticable bud growth every day. Faster than my previous grow.
But different cultivar…

The normal 12/12. I have tried that too before but I didn’t see much difference other than they appeared to stink more. Are you experimenting with 2 different flowering environments at the same time or just doing 8HF this time to see what happens?

1 Like

The latter. Just 8 hours, one grow.

1 Like

@Rogue

Maybe me and my buddy will test this out on a grow. We are probably going to be growing the same strains etc like before so it is worth to test. I will put that on the testing list and put it in the back log :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! That would be great!

It will save many people a lot of money on electricity if 8 hours works fine.

Very good point! I just dropped another $400 on a electric bill for the last 2 months over the normal 160$ I usually pay. If going 8HF works or is the same yield it would be great to shave $100 or so off the e-bill.

1 Like

OK, now tell your buddy to buy light movers for his 2 lights and do the test again. Also, have him turn up the light to 100% for the last 21 to 28 days before the chop.

These are the ones I use:

2 Likes

So are you saying to move the lights daily or weekly around the tent? Won’t we still hit the watts vs yield ceiling still with two lights?

Will the buds foxtail @ 100% if we do that? I had some stress issues @ 100% on the first grow.

1 Like

lol…I added a link to my post to show you what I mean by a light mover. It’s not someone you hire to move your lights every few days, it goes back and forth during the light cycle throughout the grow.

The lights sits in one spot at the start and end of the rail, but only for a matter of seconds - and you control how many seconds. No hot spots. I use 1000W HPS, so…

3 Likes

Sitting around for this one!

I know what yah talking about :slight_smile: I just never thought of doing a test that way. If a plant gets a light to itself for 2-3 days and then it is removed arent we still going to hit the watt vs yield issue? If a plant has a light for the entire grow vs being moved on off 1/2 the grow arent we still gonna hit that ceiling?

The light(s) slowly move back and forth above your plants. There is no removing them.

I did a test last year where I grew 47 ounces under a 600W HPS, then turned it up to 1000W HPS for the last several weeks. I wasn’t testing lights or light movers, I was testing nutes - but the results are what they are.

EDIT: @Gravitys-Rainbow, here’s a link to that test I mentioned above: CLICK HERE

1 Like

Are we going by watt per sq.ft for cost purposes. I think ppfd should be looked at as well…

1 Like

I was always to believe more light means more bud . So your experiment seems to prove that .

2 Likes

Agreed, but I also believe there’s an opportunity to increase yield by using the light(s) more efficiently.

3 Likes

There is a stopping point. I think it’s like 1100 ppfd without co2 supplement.

5 Likes

That is what I am looking for… dialed in efficiency… I guess we all are.

3 Likes

I think I mentioned my use of CO2 in that thread I linked - but I’m also a big believer in using CO2 to increase yields!

4 Likes

Same same! I love it! @Purple-N-Hairy

1 Like