"You need to wait X between posts" - Slow mode explained

First time I seen this message about having to wait posting

1 Like

When topic gets flagged because of heated discussion (as it was the case with this one) moderators can engage “Slow mode”. That means that you need to wait certain amount of time between posts.

4 Likes

I don’t see the logic in that, but hey it’s your show

1 Like

The logic is that you need to think twice about posting when you see notice like this… Heated topic usually get closer to chat-like experience where few users fight. In past we only could close the discussion (and open it later when it calms down). Now we can also slow it down…

Being able to rate limit a conversation so that people who’ve already posted can’t be tempted to jump in and defend themselves, constantly clarify their remarks, demand explanations,

This would put everyone on notice that the topic is being watched carefully and they need to choose their words more carefully here, as opposed to the more free areas of the forum.

However we need to experiment with finding the right amount of required time between posts…

14 Likes

yeah I understand, it’s not too hard to see what you are trying to do here, but I think that harshly limiting people’s ability to respond to such a degree will only prolong the disagreement or bad feelings. Sweeping things under the rug rarely works well. I have seen disputes resolved here without any moderators stepping in - you should give the users a little credit themselves for being able to quell any misunderstandings rather than throttle the response time so much. 4 hours seems extremely excessive and heavy-handed.

3 Likes

You are right and we are happy that disputes rarely get the intensity of name-calling and flame. But when it gets to it, we need to step in, assure everyone that we won’t tolerate such behaviour and take precautions. This is one of the precautions (and softer than closing the topic).

I agree that 1 hour or even less would probably be enough. Consider this particular topic example being a mere test of a new feature.

16 Likes

So it is like a freeze cold shower :fearful:, nice feature … beer3|nullxnull

6 Likes

As my daddy always told me you need to think about what your going say before you say it.

5 Likes

words are like bullets once you let them fly hard to take back

11 Likes

If used correctly the feature actually sounds like it could help save some people from themselves by giving them a chance to dwell on what they want to say instead of shooting from the hip.

7 Likes

I mentioned this to my wife. She responded with I wish I had this feature for you…

14 Likes

As someone who has talked themselves into awful situations of my own doing… yeah this is good. It’s restrictive, but it’s equal. Which in my mind makes it hard to argue with. Would probably save a lot of relationships if we implemented it in real life.

4 Likes

Sweet name, lmao I didn’t say anything about the idea to my wife haha she’d hit the 4 hour freeze almost every chance if she had that on me.

3 Likes