Yucca info please making own extract, powders and other wonderful plant aides

So I’ve been reading up on the benefits of yucca for plants. It crazy can help as foliar spray in small doses break water tension to make nutes more readily available and easier to use properly. I found the Mojave yucca is the plant for this. Lucky for me they grow everywhere here. I was hoping for any info on what I can do with plant and how to prepare it. Tried and proven by self techniques are preferable but hey I’ll read any pertinent information. Thanks not sure so I’m gonna tag a few people who might know if not sorry. Thanks all. @HeadyBearAdventures @Pigeonman @rogue @g-pas @OldUncleBen @azseaindooin420 if you can think of other organic farmers I’m drawing a blank and might be wrong with this list.

5 Likes

I uae it in my feed mix but get it already mixed. Not sure how to access it from fresh

I do use it but I purchase it off of redbudsoilcompany for 8.99 for a lb of it and make a blend of kelp, humic acid and yucca with it for my teas, both the humic and yucca help with peat based soil breaking it down so it’s not so hydrophobic

4 Likes

@BeagleZ @ReikoX
I use JADAM wetting agent, so I don’t have yucca

1 Like

I use a pwder form from ebay

I think they spray dry the liquid extract, but that is not a DIY project.
You could juice it fresh and use it right away.
I think you can just crush the roots into a powder too.
Good luck.
Shag

1 Like

Hey thanks all! So I’m guess in I’d be better off buying already to go powder just for accurate measurements? Just wondering since they grow everywhere around me but I’ll go with premade and experiment on my own.

1 Like

I wish it grew here. I have seen people germinate in a leaf or in the water the soak in.

:green_heart: :seedling:

1 Like

Yucca is a great surfactant. I’ve fermented it before, chopped up the whole plant and roots with brown sugar just like any other FPJ.

I’ve also microplaned the roots and dried it into a powder.

JWA is great for foliars, but I’ve heard it’s not so good for a soil drench.

The active components are saponins. Soap nuts are also high in saponins. I’ve made an extract with soap nuts and vegetable glycerin before. I’m using the Jay Plantspraker quillaja from Build-a-Soil right now.

7 Likes

I wanted to be able to use small amounts like every 3 watering just for plant health just don’t want to strip my soil.lol

I would suggest the FPJ approach. I dug up a small plant, chopped it up, added an equal weight of molasses, and a shot of LAB to get it going. I let it ferment in a glass jar with an air lock for a week or two. Strain and use about a teaspoon per gallon.

Here is how I made a powder. This was more effort, but worked really well. Once dry I ran it throght a sieve and added it at about 1/4 teaspoon per gallon.

10 Likes

Boooookmaaarked!

1 Like

That is exactly what I thought. Thanks all and especially @ReikoX for text boo explaination

1 Like

I use bushdoctor sledgehammer once a month I add it to two consecutive feedings. Followed by a plain tap watering. My plants jump everytime I do it. Second season using it. Love it.

1 Like

Do you follow product recommendations? If not what’s your ?/gal. Thanks

1 Like

I run it heavy in 30 gallon pots of coco. 2.25 tsp per gallon with a micro dose of balanced nutrients and kelp and microbe. So two consecutive feedings totally 4 gallons. After that dries off I hit them with a Tap watering. They jump. I run it heavy in 30’s once a month on the 21rst. I’m a feed, feed, water let dry guy.

1 Like