120v in 240v outlet

3 Likes

if you want to know how much they charge per day for your device from that

Watts/1000 X hours x price/kwh

so in 12/12

960/1000x12 x price/kwh

Edit: -ed to correct

2 Likes

my pictures show watts from the same device doubling the watts on the 240v splitter and the killawatt pluged into the 120v outlet on the splitter with half the watts taken at the same time

1 Like

i don’t care about the pictures.they can be anything you got from anywhere. I am not going to try and explain your pics.

4 Likes

That’s literally impossible. Either the 240v meter is wrong or there is something bad going on with that converter.

3 Likes

I know the 240v meter is wrong because it only calculates in 240v. I am trying to figure out if the electric bill is going to work like that also

2 Likes

NO ONE HAS USED ONE OF THESE BEFORE !?

2 Likes

No, the electric bill will still be the same 120 or 240 as it is consuming the same amount of watts.

2 Likes

watts = amps times volts though; volts matter

1 Like

So do the amps. Which for 240V should decrease relative to 120V assuming power consumption of the device remains the same (usual circumstance).

Reality is that they don’t always match precisely due to conversion efficiencies and reactive components on the individual phases. But, they should be very close when talking Watts.

3 Likes

not in power cost you buy watts not volts (kilowatts)

higher voltage equals lower amps which means less heat

and you can run more lights on the same size wire at 220/240 than 110/220

all the best

Dequilo

3 Likes

The formulas and explanation of how this works have been posted several times here. This isn’t hippie magic, it science that’s been established for like 200 years.

It will use half the amperage at 240v, the wattage (which is how the power company calculates bills) remains the same.

3 Likes

Update For Everyone: I think I found the solution = the amps will be half at 240v

4 Likes

You got it!

2 Likes

and cost per watt will be the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

i guess its converted at the wall

2 Likes

That unit you have is taking one hot from the 240v (which is 2x120v hots) and returning it through the neutral line.

2 Likes

lol the most accurate response in the thread. “smoldering wire and shorted circuit and blown fuse”.

Dudes who play with electricity and then go to sleep in the same house frighten me haha. Like, fuck with plumbing or carpentry or gardening, NEVER fuck with power if you don’t know what you’re doing.

EDIT: PSA, Electricians and HVAC guys almost never give a shit about what they’re wiring or venting. They know what you’re doing, but they just wanna get paid and leave. It’s not 1996 anymore, call a professional if you need help.

5 Likes

a professional wired all my stuff

3 Likes

@vernal … i do this for a living and these types of post scare the shit out of me. What these guy don’t realize there is a lot more to it than rather it will work or not.
Let’s say you’re doing exactly what this guy is doing. Now your using wire than is way to heavy so God forbid something would short out or a fan would lock up.

People don’t realize how important the proper size breaker and wire is. They just want to know if it will work. With wire to small for the breaker the wire will get hot and could start a fire before the breaker would trip.
With a big giant 220 line and double breakers if your small fan locks up and overheats guess what?..your fan could catch fire and prob would before the breakers would trip.

7 Likes