1st time growing diary

You could try bacillus thuringiensis if that is available. Or spray more neem, wait and see if it gets worse. I guess a few damaged leaves are to be expected in the wild. You could also cover them until they are a bit bigger and stronger.

1 Like

Indeed, but it isnt natural to have a plant with such severe damage. The most damaged one had atleast 1 leaf completely eaten and the stem was cut and no signal of it, not even in the ground and also had more leaves with a lot of damage. But I’ll check that bacillus thuringiensis out

2 Likes

I also have biological insectide made with natural pyrethrins and oil of canola seed, this might help too, and about the bacillus thuringiensis, can you show me any product with it so I know what I’m searching for?

2 Likes

That’s a good suggestion of BT I don’t believe it to be cattapillars there slow and hang around ,my guess is grasshopper or beatle sort not sure what your referencing of pine processinary ?

2 Likes

I have not used it myself tbh. But I was planning to get something with pyrethrine myself. I just checked, it also lists caterpillars.

1 Like

Here’s the scientific name Thaumetopoea pityocampa

1 Like

I found out the product you were talking about bacillus thuringiensis but it’s sold out in this site and also on amazon.es so I don’t think I have it available

1 Like

Try a search for “xentari” on amaz*n.es.

2 Likes

I take that back as far as catapillars since I’ve seen those things ! Some species are more motile than others this could be a culprit!

2 Likes

Maybe consider something like tanglefoot? Something you place on around perimeter of plants to trap insects

2 Likes

That product is available, I think I will order some, it’s usually fast to arrive anything from amazon.es

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea.

2 Likes

The specie I’m used to see, is relatively fast for a catterpillar. I’ve seen them moving around and they seem “fast” and definitly ugly. And I’ll also checkout the tanglefoot, might work to trap them.

2 Likes

Went to the spot this afternoon, and they seem untouched by the bugs/catterpillar since the last time I checked them. The protections and the neem oil are doing its thing. After a period of sun, rain is coming back. Damm this didnt happen last year. Anyway, I also found a new member in the garden. A ladybug. She’s welcome to eat all the pests that harm my plants :smile:. Some pics now

here’s the ladybug hanging on the biggest plant of the garden.
and under this, I’ll show the attacked plants that are now protected under some plastic. Also the yellow one, which is right under this, seems to be recovering. this last 2 pics are from the one in worst shape. I wonder if she will recover.

6 Likes

I have a question which isn’t related to this topic, but I don’t know a better place to post this. I was interested in growing some landraces here in Portugal from this seedbank Real Seed Company and I would like to know what do you recommend from that list to grow here with a climate similar to california I guess atleast during the summer where it’s very dry and it only rains in the winter and this ocasional rains during april. I was thinking about the himalayan strains Parvati/Malana Cream/Nanda Devi or the Hindu Kush Mazar-i-Sharif. My latitude is 38ºN

2 Likes

Those all look like large hash-plants with high variation between the seeds. I’m inclined to suggest some more indica-dominant hybrids. :thinking:

I’ve heard Northen Lights is a great beginner strain.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Nice plants, looks like that ladybug ate your problems away!

2 Likes

Yes, but I’m already going with northern light and white widow eventhough they are autos. What I would like to do this time was to experiment some landraces and also get some seeds from them. I’m also thinking going with a strain called moby dick which is adapted to spanish climate, so I’d like to give it a try along with those landraces.

2 Likes

Thanks, I hope she stays around. No more problems for now. The rain has passed the away and now the soil’ll be drying until the next rain comes.

1 Like

No updates from the spot yet but I’m going there tomorrow to check the girls and see how they are doing. But I didnt come here just to say that. I need help to know when should I transplant this seedling.

this is my last seed, she is a royal jack which is something like the jack herer original strain auto version from what RQS said. These were freebies but we only managed to germinate 1 out 5. The seeds werent germinating at any way. I think the shell was too hard (we tried a lot of things like sandpaper, leaving 24h floating in water, using a knife to open them, but I guess the knife was too much and ended up killing the one we tried) but this one made it through the seed shell. My mate who’s very clumsy managed to put the seed near the side of the cup, he didnt plant directly at the spot it because the tap root was already too big in the paper towel and he couldnt go to the spot because it was easter, and it a tradition to spend the day with the family here. I wonder how should I transplant her without damaging the roots and if I can do it right now to avoid stressing the plant or if I should wait for her roots to grow more. I appreciate any help, never transplanted anything but already saw some videos.

2 Likes