1st time growing diary

First, I started doing some mounts with native soil, then I added perlite to those mounts and shaped them like a volcano, in the center I put some canna professional soil it’s really similar to biobizz light just slighty more fertilized it’s almost the same thing but was cheaper. I didnt prepare the soil a lot, I just went cheap and hope its any good because it had a lol of plants and weedd growing on it before we used it. Next time, I Will prepare a lot more going all organics

2 Likes

Biobizz fertilizers for autos is kind of a mystery. Last year I found an old schedule for autos somewhere online and used it in the beginning. Later I read they advised using the allmix schedule for autos in lightmix (IIRC), I could not find that now. Their website says

Do you have a nutrients schedule for auto-flowering plants?
Auto-flowering plants usually have a 3-week vegetative phase. Just follow the existing Biobizz nutrients schedule taking into account that your plants will start flowering 3 weeks after planting.

They have a new 2019 schedule. I found that the NPK values have changed at some point in the past too. :tired_face: I’m planning to feed less than last year and adjust if problems arise.

I think you’re doing it right staying below the schedule, you can always up it later if the plants look unhappy.

One factor that I do not have is rain washing away the nutes and changing PH, as I grow in a pot and mostly safe from rain. My guess is that after heavy rain you need to re-add somewhat more than regular to make up for what the rain washed away, but maybe someone more experienced with growing in the wild has a better idea of that.

2 Likes

Now that the rain has passed, I’ll wait until the soil dries to re-add any nuts. Right now, my mate is adding some organic duff like @Tinytuttle suggested. Maybe thursday or friday he’ll feed them since I cant do it right now

1 Like

I’d just see what it could do with out a bottled nute kinda defeats the purpose when one goes and starts putting ferts back on it when ya went to all the trouble to get the best thing for the plant from the Forrest to begin with.

2 Likes

Ok man he didnt feed yet so I will say to him to hold it and if any deficiences appear/develops he’ll go back to bottled fert. Fair? The only reason I dont go full power on organics is because I dont have neither money or space in my current house to have a composter or to prepare a better soil for them.

2 Likes

It’s all good man when things get right in the soil for ya I’d be a betting man that really not much will be needed at all I don’t really know what you using but anything in a bottle is proaby 96-98% water anyways and cost if any bottled stuff / unit of cost is usually higher in $ at least that’s what Iv observed anyways

Once ya finish reading “ teaming with microbes “ check out KNF (Korean natural farming) with that and some of the inputs involved one is literally making the nutrients for pennies on the dollar.

3 Likes

I don’t want to come off as a “know it all” but how would one know or not that the bottled nute didn’t cause the issue in the first place? What was right for one plant may not be the same for the others There’s so many variables that go on when trying to dechiper problems , ph’ , excess of one nute could lock out others , and the list goes on and on.

For sure man the only thing I’m saying is that I dont have all means to do the organic stuff to feed the soil, like manure, compost and teas to provide the npk to the soil. I’ll follow what you say and about the bottle price, its already bought so I cant just return it. Anyway, the plants seem to be recovering well so no worries. My friend sent me today some pics and only one seems to be more yellowish the others are doing just fine.

Seedling first

This is the one in worst shape but she’s recovering

6 Likes

They are recovering. Give them some time to get their roots down and they should really take off. :+1::seedling:

4 Likes

They look perfectly fine & happy. :slight_smile:

I believe what Tinytuttle is trying to convey is that healthy soil (on average) will have everything most plants need without adding much or possibly any amendment/fertilizer. Since you are near wilderness or forest area (?) it’s fair to assume that the soil is full of vitality & likely needs very little. Over-application & too-concentrated fertilzer will quickly diminish the natural systems in play; try to avoid N-P-K over 4-4-4 & definitely not over 10-10-10 if your options are few. The source materials are also of importance(organic/natural being optimal).

You won’t see the problem until time/seasons pass and the effect has accumulated, leading many un-knowing gardeners to add more fertilzer to compensate for the deteriorated soil life.

I hope this helps explain our persistence in moderate fertilizer use. :wink:

A popular book on this subject(converted ME!) is “teaming with microbes” by jeff lowenfels; it’s easy to read & informative.

:v:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Just to clarify, this spot will never be used again. I trust 100% tiny, I want to follow his organic way and I ask him a lot of questions via message. Also, I’m already reading teaming with microbes suggested by him. My biobizz grow npk is 4-3-6 and when I used it, it was something like 2mL for over a gallon like 5L and it was almost 2 weeks ago. I will keep following tinytuttle advice the only thing I was asking was what would replenish the nutrients after the plants eating or heavy rain flushing them away

2 Likes

@SpikPT , @cannabissequoia said it well your plants are looking great I agree we’ve all been there and know the feeling all to well on wanting our “ babies” to stay healthy, I see a lot of new growers often thinking that more is better at times and end up making problems worse when the best medicine is good ol’ doses of “Lifta” sold by our fellow OG’er @ReikoX! An awesome product sweeping through the cannabis growing community act fast as supplies don’t last long in @ReikoX wharehouses!

5 Likes

That’s the beauty of organics and all natural methods all the nutrients stay put, held in the the bodies of microbiology, the bacteria, Protozoa, worms, fungi until something or someone else eats someone else or poops :poop: but to answer your question “yes” most fert applications would probably wash away unfortunately.

2 Likes

How r they coming along?

1 Like

I didnt comeback yet but my friend found another troubled plant. This time isnt about nutrients, it really seems a bug problem, if you have any clue what it is and how to solve it, I appreciate.
Here’s the trouble plant

its bitten on the right side and there are some leaf parts felt on the soil.
Here are the others
Do you recommend using neem oil to repell them?

3 Likes

I’d say give neem a try my guess is it could be grass hopper or a beetle perhaps keep and eye on it for sure could be that the critter took a bite and didn’t care for it at all and won’t be back if it continues I’d get more aggressive with it maybe try some essential oils around the plant .

3 Likes

Neem applied. lets see if it protects them. Probably next week it Will rain again but weather forecast can change at anytime so who knows. For now they are just chilling since we arent adding anything already for over 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Cameback yesterday and went to the spot today. I found out the bug problem is getting much bigger and we’ll need to protect them more or they’ll be all eaten. Just some pics so you can see whats happening.

neem oil applied again and I’m thinking about covering them with a transparent plastic with some holes in the upper part for them to breath. If you have any suggestion, I would highly appreciate it.
More pictures also showing some healthy plants here is the one that had nutrient problems for last, its the forest plant sadly the other seedling died because my friend didnt water it but this one survived and its stretching more to reach more sun
If you any tips to protect the plants or you can identify the cause of this problem (animal/insect that is eating the leaves), I highly appreciate it.

1 Like

Have you checked the leaves for bugs? Check both sides, a loupe or microsope may be helpful if you got any. Check also for slime trails. :snail:

The damage is quite big. Caterpillars maybe? Check the pic here MynameStitch's Guide to Plant Diseases and Nutrient Deficiencies

2 Likes

I was thinking about this: Pine processionary, I think that’s how you call it in english. We have some pines in the area, and it’s common to find them around. Could they be eating the leaves? For now, I didn’t see any and better be careful with them because they can cause some bad allergies. About catterpilars, I didnt see any yet but I can try to find some “spinosad” to repel them but I don’t know how easy it’s to find it in portuguese stores. For other options, I want to avoid chemical insecticides so I would prefer covering them up than using chemicals.

1 Like