1x1x2 Challenge - Winter/Spring 2018

I could use it’s poop as fertilizer :grin:

2 Likes

Only two ways to get it, and I refuse to pay for it.

99%

:rabbit2: :poop:

I don’t really bother with it.

It’s kind of a funny thing. The rabbit is constantly eating, and consequently, constantly fertilizing. The food is not well processed (see cow digestion for comparison).

My feeling is, it is no better than horse manure, which is not highly valued.

99%

1 Like

Well, you would have to compost it, then run it through a worm bin. :grin:

1 Like

Looks like you’ve got land beavers.

1’x1’x2’ tent. 1 gal coco

5 Likes

The Bluberry in the 1x1x2 is doing great. The Soma style SIP is working wonderfully. I have been top watering my teas and whatnot from the top and plain water in the bottom. The clovers are a constant battle, they were just chopped before this photo.

6 Likes

The little Blueberry seedling is really starting to take off now, she even has a bit of purple on the new growth. She got a neem/kelp soil drench as well as a neem/aloe/silica (IPM) spray Monday. This morning she is praying to the LEDs.

7 Likes

Out of flower personally. Sucks, so much pain physically. Moving to Wa at the end of May, and cannot wait. Moving an entire business, family everything. Gotta wait another 5-7 weeks for this to finish.

As stated previously, it outgrew the tent. It did not like the bucket at all, and the leaves started getting crispy even with proper airflow, so I super cropped some stems and here she is :slight_smile:

I prolly defoilated too much, it also shouldn’t grow at all anymore, just fat buds. 15 days flower here.

4 Likes

@Cocofan I’ll help you out, and others can also chime in.

But first a suggestion to make things more stream line and to make this site better.
If you have a question or issue to ask someone we don’t need to do it through a PM unless its more directed, but the question you may be asking will be relevant to others and may serve better in a thread for other to see.

Also you can just tie someone into the question by using an “at” by trowing an @ in front whatever users name you want to grab attention of ;). Cause otherwise those people may miss it and creates redundancy with a PM.

But yeah anyways on to the question, and i’ll tell you my onion on what happened and what we can do now.

Lets take a look at your picture from 2 weeks ago and today and i’ll do a break down.

2 weeks ago

now

Issue with big pots in a limited space is a plant no mater how you go about growing it will always try to get as large as its root capacity will allow. So it will grow in every direction that it can sense it will grab more light.

Now if that space is limited and the plants root capacity is big enough to out grow said space we are going to have some problems.

So take two weeks ago, at this stage the plant has throw out more than enough nodes/shoots to easily fill your space as it “continues” to grow and expand and try and take up more space which there isn’t any more of except for going “up”.

With the plant starting to crowd its own nodes out, what happens is the leaves sense they are getting less light than they were before. This causes a chemical change in the plant which effectively tells it to start growing up to try and get past whatever may be shading it, in this case its own nodes/shoots.

for the plant if say only some lowers fans were plucked with the top layer still fighting with each other for light, or plucking to many fans causing the plant to think its getting too little light in the process, what we get is a mad dash to the light by the plant/plants to get as much energy as they can.

Thus we have stretch.

If those nodes were trimmed back at that point, or were spread out further on say a screen, or some fan leaves were plucked back to provide unobstructed space for the leaves to gather light, we would slow the stretch and fill things out evenly.

Now ideally the earlier you can control things the better, but what can be done now, as you have surmised either training and or more plucking. First lets bring the canopy level and spread it out and down if it needs to happen as the plant will still continue to grow just slower as it enters flower.

So LST, “Z” Bends, super cropping “pinch and bending over tops” and or pruning scraggly nodes/shoots where the surrounding others will enjoy the extra space and light. So leave as many shoots as it will fill the space, if you need to pluck some fan leaves to accomplish this go ahead, your working to get an even space where the shoot’s or plants aren’t fighting each other to much.

7 Likes

@Cocofan So saying all that that the other day, my own 5 gal bucket grow had become way over crowded due to me trying to jam 5 plants into a space that should only support 3 with my pot size.

So i needed to do some trimming, normally i start earlier on the pruning and go with it gradually, and if i can avoid pruning or adjustment i will at all cost. But i decided to go heavy on the pruning today one cause it needed it but also to illustrate what can be done.

Fan leaves got removed to expose bud sites and as much of the under layers that will be productive. Also a bunch of the lower nodes that would of been garbage also got stripped or cut off as i want to focus all the energy to those nodes that are more ideal. The nodes that are bigger, starting to stack leaves, in the proper area of where i want them, and havent grows all scraggly or are not throwing out there own shoots which is common with lower nodes on bottom branches is all that i kept.

I also folded over some tops to place them better, and unfortunately “even i have accidents” one of the plants i already zBended i had to top. The one pinch point was weak enough that as the plant was trying to correct itself it actually ripped one side of it stock in half. Not ideal and not how i planned but with the topping the other shoots will quick take over while fighting for that apical shoot dominance.

This is a “HEAVY” pruning, and normally i go easier when i can, even still you can go even heavier if needed and they will come back, but they will be hampered decently at that level though.

So give a couple days and watch how quick this will bounce back.

Day wise its 25 days from sprout for myself

Before

After

The amount removed, just to show.

7 Likes

2 days later…

Won’t even know anything happened in a couple more.

7 Likes

Another 4 days, day 31

Have to do some plucking again as the top is packed. The plants are starting to develop their odors now :wink:

10 Likes

The Blueberry is starting to grow up, I started “LST” on it, ad you can see the top is bent over.

As usual, I was a bit too rough and snapped the stem. I gave it a dose of LITFA (leave it the fuck alone) and she is doing just fine now.

8 Likes

Does that come in industrial size containers?

I kinda need to know.

99%

4 Likes

LITFA is a completely green, renewable resource accessible to the masses for the low low price of $0.99 USD + S&H. :grin: :laughing: :joy:

3 Likes

A little trick is to flatten the stem by squeezing it, before you bend.

-This is a really fun looking competition. Good luck to all.

2 Likes

Day 35 for the bucket looking good and budding out, the underside is alot more bare than i wanted but shit happens when you try and jam 5 plants with pots that were bigger than they should of been for the space and not keeping on top of pruning.

7 Likes

The Blueberry in the 1x1x2 is still vegging slowly. The training has got me three good tops so far. There is no way this girl will be ready by 4/20 like I planned.

8 Likes

The Blueberry isn’t looking too great right now. I flipped her to 12/12 last night and gave her a good clover trimming. I wont be cloning this one, but may re-veg if she seems special.

4 Likes

The Blueberry in the 1x1x2 is stretching a lot. There may be some light leaks, she’s slowly transitioning to flower. I’ll be doing more pinching to try and keep them under control.

8 Likes