1x1x2 Challenge - Winter/Spring 2018

This contest will be open to all Overgrow members. There is NO restrictions on environment, lighting, medium, etc. The only restrictions is the size of the grow space. The plant, including all medium and roots must remain within a 1’x1’x2’ box. Any form of feeding is allowed, but if any part of the plant grows outside the box, it must be trimmed. Participants can use seeds or clones of any cannabis variety they choose. Seeds can be already germinated or not; clones can be already rooted or not. The deadline is 4/20, so we can all have a little celebration together at the end. Weekly updates are encouraged, they can be any day you choose. The winner will be chosen by a poll at the end of the contest based on yield, performance, detail of updates, etc.

Rules

1. All participants must grow in a 1’x1’x2’ box.
  2. The whole plant must remain within the 1x1x2 box, including roots, medium, and foliage.
  3. All participants will use a seed or clone they choose.
  4. Participants may join at any time, but harvest must be dried and ready to smoke by 4/20/2018.
  5. Participants are required to keep up frequent updates, once a week at least. If a participant misses three weeks in a row, they will be eliminated from the competition.
  6. The winner will be determined by a poll posted after the challenge is completed.

@MadScientist will be giving out a pack of free seeds to the winner of the contest.

10 Likes

To start, here is my box. I have a little bit of light proofing to finish, but I went ahead and filled the resivoir and planted the cover crop. I will be growing some Dinafem Blueberry. I thought I had one seed, but turns out I have three, so I should definitely get one to germinate for me.

9 Likes

I’ll add my 5 Gal bucket, but same as you i want to deal with a few light leaks even though its not 100% light proof anyways.

Also still have to make the watering control system side of things, and will be starting some auto seeds in the next couple weeks.

Info about it though for those who don’t follow my posts.

It’s a standard 5 gal bucket that sits on top of a 2 gal reservoir. Lights are composed of 8x8w dismantled Philips Screw in LED bulbs mounted to old GPU heatsinks. The 4 side lights are only running at half wattage by running two of the led boards off one ballast in parallel instead of them having there own ballast like the lid lights. Its arduino controlled for light timers and soon to be added watering control based off soil sensor measurement, and is ventilated by a 92mm pc fan that pushes through a diy carbon filter.

This version come in around 48watts of total energy use, and the plan will be to run 5 plants in 500ml diy fabric pots.

6 Likes

The little Blueberry seedling in the 1x1x2 cab finally decided she wanted to compete with the clovers. I’ve been hacking them back to get her a bit more light.

3 Likes

Do you have a tiny lawn mower for that grow box? That clover looks like it will need some trimming. :wink: Poor lil’ seedling looks frightened @ReikoX!

2 Likes

I imagine she is, them clovers can get pretty big. :scream: Soon the clovers will be shades out by her though :grin:

1 Like

So I have not really jumped into the no till thing.

The idea is that they die off, adding nutrients back?

That’s one function, clover is a nitrogen fixate. It pulls nitrogen from the air to its roots. Then when it dies that nitrogen is returned to the soil through decomposition. Another is to feed the microorganisms or keep them healthy when there are no other plants in there.

2 Likes

While still living, I guess?

And the cannabis plant will eventually cause them to perish?

1 Like

Yeah, thats pretty much it. :thumbsup:

1 Like

Day 5 For the bucket :wink:

6 Likes

The Blueberry baby in the 1x1x2 cab is still trying to outcompete the clover. I keep chopping the clover back, but it grows so fast. :grin:

6 Likes

You need a rabbit.

5 Likes

I could use it’s poop as fertilizer :grin:

2 Likes

Only two ways to get it, and I refuse to pay for it.

99%

:rabbit2: :poop:

I don’t really bother with it.

It’s kind of a funny thing. The rabbit is constantly eating, and consequently, constantly fertilizing. The food is not well processed (see cow digestion for comparison).

My feeling is, it is no better than horse manure, which is not highly valued.

99%

1 Like

Well, you would have to compost it, then run it through a worm bin. :grin:

1 Like

Looks like you’ve got land beavers.

1’x1’x2’ tent. 1 gal coco

5 Likes

The Bluberry in the 1x1x2 is doing great. The Soma style SIP is working wonderfully. I have been top watering my teas and whatnot from the top and plain water in the bottom. The clovers are a constant battle, they were just chopped before this photo.

6 Likes

The little Blueberry seedling is really starting to take off now, she even has a bit of purple on the new growth. She got a neem/kelp soil drench as well as a neem/aloe/silica (IPM) spray Monday. This morning she is praying to the LEDs.

7 Likes