2020 Cannabis with Meesh

Depends upon how long you will keep them in containers before putting them in the ground.
I would think you could use smaller than 5 gallon containers quite effectively.
Use smaller container before sexing, then put the girls in larger containers until they are planted in your beds.

Most states provide very inexpensive soil testing through local cooperative extension offices.
In Florida it is only $7 per soil test.
Unfortunately, It appears that CA does not provide soil testing services… ?

Here is some info regarding agricultural cooperative extension offices.

8 Likes

Well, as soon as they show sex they’ll go in the ground. They will be outside from start to finish Thanks for that list! That’s great for everyone!

2 Likes

Rather than growing them until they show sex, you could take some cuttings and put them under 12/12 to determine sex. That way you don’t waste time and nutrients on vegging the males.

11 Likes

The only lights I have is the sun

4 Likes

Well, it was a nice thought …

3 Likes

I suppose you could move them each day into a dark garden building/shed once they’ve had the 12 hours of required light. You’d only have to do it for a week or so to force them to show sex. :+1:

3 Likes

I’m honestly not certain they would reveg after I do that. Only because, I think at peak (solstice) in Cali we only get like 14 1/2 hours of sun. Some clones I put out once budded, but only some of them revegged. I’m not to worried about feeding them as the first few transplants into organic soil won’t really require nutes. Well at least 3 weeks per pot. The soil however is pricey for the pots. I get 9 gallons per bag though. Sigh… I’ll only be using fish fert and kelp for veg probably unless I try @Jetdro Texas veggie food (I have to check if it’s organic though) and that’s cheap. Wish I had room for an indoor setup. Small house - HUGE yard.

2 Likes

I’m not trying to be negative Nelly up in here, but I see very little margin for error in my doable outdoor situation. I appreciate your ideas though. Just see myself fucking that up royally. lol

If y’all want to see the 7 footers again this year, I need to veg these as much as possible right? I’m wondering if 3 gallon would allow them to reach maximum capacity at sex before the ground. I will start the seeds sometime in April, so they will be in pots around 2 to 2.5 months.

@Sunvalley do you sex yours in pots before they go to ground? You probably use lights too.

4 Likes

Yeah i sex my big plants in pots before… depending on your day light times will depend on if you want to use supplemental light. So earlier you start the more likely you are to have to use lights… if you plant early April you’ll still get pretty big plants

3 Likes

Since I can’t use lights… What size pot should I veg them in outside so I don’t hinder growth before they go in the ground. Like I said they have to veg for about 2.5 months before they show sex… a couple weeks after the solstice

1 Like

Start small and work up as you see fit … heres a good guide for poy size starting out your way

5 Likes

So take cuts and just bring them inside or cover them with a box in the evening for a couple weeks. They don’t even need to root, you’re just using it to find sex.

9 Likes

Interesting! What do you mean by this? Can you explain further? I would think they would just croak. Do I put them in dirt?

3 Likes

@Meesh found this hope it helps looks like u’d have to either cover them or move them outta the sun for 7-10 days until they sex

6 Likes

Oh!! Just put them in water! Got it! Thanks @ReikoX and @Budafly

6 Likes

This! I can at least try! I won’t have exact light hours, but I can certainly deprive them. Doubt it has to be too exact as long as they think the day is getting shorter. I’m actually really excited now as this will save me so much in potting soil and work in the long run.

Well guys it’s raining today, so no trellis prototype today. Delayed until next Sunday. We could build in my garage, but Dad opted not to drive around in the rain. I don’t blame him. L.A. drivers, no survivors!

10 Likes

I’ve always wondered if I just chopped off all my branches on my outdoor plants when frost starts coming and stuck them in water for their last couple weeks would it work?

3 Likes

Took me a bit to explain it right, thanks for the link @Budafly

@TrevorLahey the branch may finish ripening, but I dont think it would put on any extra weight. I would propose an experiment… :grin:

8 Likes

@ReikoX I turned Dad on to kelp last year. He foliars his precious patio plants with it. Says they absolutely love it. :grinning:

6 Likes

Just wanted to say that if I ever go missing… @cannabissequoia knows how to contact me

2 Likes