2023, new year new start....... sourdough start šŸ˜‰

5 Likes

Chirp chirpā€¦gzz. :laughing:

I just made 2 batches of pretzel dough for tomorrow.
A batch of pizza dough for the week.
And a batch of dough for a loaf tomorrow :yum: :heart_eyes: :relaxed: :relieved: sourdough is the dank!!!

Yalls starts didnā€™t die did they???

Whereā€™s the bread and the sourdough food pics people!!!

1 Like

600 gs of starter!!! This went into everything tonight!!!.

3 Likes

A loaf of sourdough. And a bunch of pretzels!!! :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face: :drooling_face:

6 Likes

Ok, the deed is done! And its aliveā€¦

ā€¦and hungry!
Question:
A. Should I cut in half and feed the original amount of flours to it new weights half?
B. Should I cut it back to the original amount(150 grams of three flours and 150g of water), and then feed 150gram of each(300 total)?
C. Or should I cut it back to 75 grams and feed what?

Any suggestions are welcomed.
:v::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Poor some out, you could leave maybe 25 grams of whatā€™s left in there. Then add say 30 water and 30 flour. An equal amount of both to feed. Be aware it will rise. So measure accordingly to your container for your start. Also if you want to make something you could use the Discard. And do the same thing in another jar, then once active. Bake with it. How long had it been alive or is this the first feed?
Just looked again. You have a big jar you could do 75 water 75 flour. And just keep a bit of your start. It will spread throughout your ā€œfeedā€ you gave itā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m using a quart jar.
Empty jar weight = 425
With first addition = 725
Current weight = 722
Though weā€™ve more than doubled in volume.

Whatcha think now?

1 Like

If Iā€™m right you have 300 g of start. If this is the case Discard 200. And add 100 g water 100 g of flour. Done and fed.

1 Like

Correct. Thank you.
I will reduce to 1/3 and add that weight back.

Is this 48 hour starterā€™s discard have enough life to make use of? If so, you got a quick or easy recipe for me? Lol

1 Like

It needs a week of feeding and activity like bubbles. In order for it to be ready for baking.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I thought.
Just didnā€™t wanna waste it. Guess itā€™s going to the compost bin or the critters!

Thank you again!
:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

No problem,! Keep it up man!.

I take my discards sometimes, and just start a new starter jar, maybe 4, then you can experiment with temps, %ā€™s of feed, etcā€¦and have a whole lot around to do whatever you want;)

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually what Iā€™m doing now. I canā€™t seem to get rapid or consistent growth. Iā€™m sure most of my house is to cold. Just gotta find the right spot. Maybe itā€™ll end up on the cable box like when I germinate seeds, lol.

2 Likes

Sometimes it takes a bit for it to get going. I help things out by putting my starter in a warm spot of the grow room šŸ¤Œ

1 Like

I was thinking that also! But it ainā€™t much betterā€¦

2 Likes

Farl, I swapped out 20 gā€™s of yeast for 10, and added 100 gā€™s hard winter wheat starter I made.

Butterā€™s

Super easy!!

5 Likes

I just made a loaf up,ā€¦!! Sourdough we go!. Well see how it is. Iā€™m going to let it rise for a few hours then fold, let rise again. And bake. Iā€™m hungry for some bread. This should be sweet,ā€¦ or may I say Sour. :laughing:

1 Like

My fridge heats it up on top of it good. Itā€™s a good place for it. Atleast for me.

1 Like

Baked breadā€¦I canā€™t get enough of itā€¦while itā€™s baking in the oven Iā€™m baking as well!!! Love the combo.

1 Like