2023, new year new start....... sourdough start 😉

Thanks! I also do a white hoagie/sandwich roll sometimes, baguettes, and pizza, of course.

3 Likes

Sourdough pretzels…

7 Likes

That just reminded me: I have some lye left over from making soap, so I could do legit German style pretzels!

1 Like

Ok, I’m ready! I’m gonna do it! Lol
Got all my ingredients(I have since before the 100th post, hehe), but now is the time. I’m really gonna do it this time!

I’m thinking about a cup of of white flour, quarter cup wheat flour, and a quarter cup of rye flour. All unbleached organic. Then an equal part water. Here’s where another question has risen(hehe, that’s a good pun actually). Is the equal part water by volume or by weight? Exactly how technical do y’all get at this beginning stage? Food scale, measuring cups, eyeballing? Lol

Thanks for any responses in advance!
:grinning:

2 Likes

I started with white flour 25g and 25 g of water. Have since switched to bread flower. It’s just half and half by weight. And then let sit and feed every 24 hours. Some feed more often some less. Putting it in the fridge basically stalls it. It needs a week before it can be used, I mean of being fed and kept up on. It’s rather easy. Use a good scale.

1 Like

So it sits at room temperature, correct?

2 Likes

Yes unless you want to speed the process up. You can sit it on top of a fridge or something that is a bit warmer. We do this above the fridge. Some people have proofing boxes or containers to keep a certain constant temp for the actual proofing of their bread. The extra heat is not necessary. Room temperature is fine.

2 Likes

Ok, and do you think the “lose lid” method works to off-gas, or should I just do a paper towel under the ring?

1 Like

Also once you have the start going everytime you feed say 25g of bread flour and 25g of water you will be saving some of the starter and discarding some. This discard can and should be used in extra baking. What you save is what you add the the two equal parts too. In essence your feeding your starter by adding these two parts.

2 Likes

Recently once my starter became very active I have been using a peice of saran wrap and a rubber band. Doesn’t impeed it at all. Works fine. The paper towel works as well. Also you can ring over the wrap just as easy as a paper towel.

1 Like

You’d think the saran wrap would turn into a ballon.
And yeah, I have bread flour.

1 Like

I think there is enough gas exchange due to me using a rubber band around a glass jar. Not really fully sealing it off.

So, to recap(Sorry I’m slow, lol)…A or B?

A. I will feed every 24 hours and toss half each time?
B. Or I will feed every 24 hours, and then start removing half in a week or so, when its active?

I would also be interested to hear what you’ve done with the first several small amounts of start that you upcycled

1 Like

A. Remove half every time you feed. After a week or once major rise is observed it should make a good sourdough… I have made pancakes. Biscuits. And cinnamon rolls. Another everyday thing we make and use is pizza dough. Personal pizzas whenever you want them on demand lol. Found a great use for the old toaster oven. Sure kills the preheat on a regular oven.

1 Like

So even 24 hours later you have an active something viable to use…huh!
I though people were like saving that half in the fridge and adding to it will all the stuff they remove daily until they could use it, or they had enough. But I guess you only use a small portion of the start when making a baked item, right?
Oo, and pizza dough. I bet that doing those personal pizzas in the air fryer would come out good also!

2 Likes

Definitely they would be great. You feed to appropriate the amount of starter for said recipe. Or have multiple starters.

1 Like

5 Likes

Oo, baby!
You do the egg wash thing?

1 Like

Yup. It helps a bunch. Can’t wait to slice into this…fresh out the oven!..

300 g’s strong white flour
75g’s hard winter wheat,
25g’s rye
80 g’s starter/300 g’s water
8 g’s salt
465 f/ 30 min.
Lovely sour dough taste, with rye coming through pretty hard. My FAV!
Probably needed 2 minutes more baking.
Crust is hard and crunchy, slices very nice, for sandwiches.

Getting closer!!

7 Likes