2023, new year new start....... sourdough start 😉

O have I got plans! Also need to get to baking some baking soda :laughing:.

2 Likes

I feed once a week; put in fridge after it rises completely. IMO you don’t need to feed every day unless you bake every day, or are getting your starter started. I just fed mine, and will probably bake some bread in a couple days. I mix, proof, and shape one day, and bake the next. I always bake 2 loaves, and give 1 away. Gonna give a loaf to my fishing buddy next. He has a great boat and lives on a lake. I anticipate an invite to fish soon. :wink:

3 Likes

I tend to make pizza dough for personal pizzas throughout the week. Also a loaf every few days. I just made three batches of pretzel dough for the family. And I’m going to be baking some baking powder for my pretzels. We feed every day. A lot of the time, we make a huge batch of start and make five or so things. My family appreciates the baking

we also don’t buy much bread anymore…win

4 Likes

Another big batch! Bursting sourness!!! Going to make some awesome dough…! :bread:

Edit so far one loaf had been made with this hefty amount of starter. As well as a loaf of pizza dough.

4 Likes

3 Likes

For all of you wanting to get ahold of a sourdough start made in 1847 on the journey across the Oregon trail here’s a link on how to!!!. http://carlsfriends.net/

3 Likes

Sourdough :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

4 Likes

That looks so fire.
I just got permission from my super to put in a wood fire oven in the backyard!
Boutta be some legit bread and pizza at my house.

2 Likes

That’s something I might do now that you mention it. It would be pretty epic.
Maybe someday…not enough cash for that job lol

2 Likes

This guy I know bought a house, and the previous owners were a couple: a structural engineer, and a baker.
They left the oven that he built, and it’s on skids, so I just need a pallet jack, and a flatbed!

2 Likes

That’s way awesome and lucky as heck!

1 Like

Wife had a hankerin for Italian bread. I went to Kings Flour, looked up a reciep, but I swapped out the yeast for my sprouted wheat flour starter, I made back when this great thread started.
It gave us a slightly sour dough taste in the loaf. Wife loves it!

8 Likes

Looks beautiful. I bet it tasted great too!!!. I just got done folding a loaf I made with the Oregon trail sourdough start. Getting ready to bake hoping for a nice second rise.

1 Like

Made with 1847 Oregon trail start, @tejas I’ll let you know how it tastes!!!.

6 Likes

@tejas the bread was immensely less sour. Much nicer rise. It was really good, the crumb was nice as well. Very good staple bread. Although the start I have going is wicked sour and packed with flavor. I favor this so far will update.

1 Like

Before I use it, I starve the starter for a week, doing so will amp up the sour. I made sour dough biscuits last weekend and they had a pronounced sour flavor. It does get better :grin:.

3 Likes

Nice thanks for the tip. It’s good bread definitely.

2 Likes

Well, in a effort to reduce inflammation, on the advice of my rheumatologist, I am off sugar and gluten for 3 months. I’ll still make a pizza once a week, and keep my starter going, but I am taking a hiatus from making bread for a while. I’ll still make it for friends and family as requested, but I can’t have it around - I am undisciplined, and will-power challenged. I know there are alternative flours, but I am not going to fool with them. Just bought a big Costco bag of Thai jasmine rice. Potatoes are out as they are nightshade. I’ll still grow tomatoes and peppers - I cannot give those nightshades up. Pray you never get rheumatoid arthritis, especially if you are a working guitarist like me.

6 Likes

Just started another loaf the other is long gone. Going to try the Oregon start again. I’ll be baking tomorrow. :yum:

2 Likes

Oregon trail start sourdough loaf. Turned out wonderful. I love it, its more sour this time, no clue why. Awesome bread.

6 Likes