2023, new year new start....... sourdough start 😉

It’s good, nice and sour. Best rise yet as well.
Penal super sour.
Ot good staple bread.
Montana sour, huge rise.

3 Likes

Also the start smells of malt liquor. Old English actually :rofl:

2 Likes

Here is the latest sourdough. I used 20% whole wheat flour. Baked in my new cast iron Dutch oven.

I’ve been experimenting with firm starters at 50% hydration vs regular starter at 100% hydration. It seems the firm starter gives me more of a sour flavor and the regular is more of a yogurt dairy smell.

I find the bulk fermenting stage has a lot to do with strength of flavor. Been playing with fermentation times.

I also feed my starters a variety of types and brands of flour to try and diversify the population of yeast and bacteria as much as possible.

I’m still a beginner at dough handling and shaping. I’ve been working on my technique to get the nice airy crumb and gluten structure I want.

10 Likes

That’s really neat all the stuff your trying out man. Really cool. I just made up a batch of start of some Montana sourdough. I’m going to bake a loaf tomorrow :yum: I’ll post it here. Hope to see more activity here!!! Nice to have ya @DrMalcolm

4 Likes

Montana start. Super active.

3 Likes

Montana bread.

7 Likes

Here’s a batard I made today, dusted with rice flour then slashed. Nice open crumb, soft bread perfect for sandwiches.

14 Likes

That looks really good nice job :+1:

If I’m understanding this properly, all the starters with names, are they due to where the grain was grown?
As maybe different areas, have different or slightly different wild yeasts from those areas?
I’m such DYI’er, I really never thought about that aspect, kind of silly on my part.
I recently, fed my rye starter to the compost pile, as I did not can for the color, and the smell was a bit off.
I still have the sprouted wheat flour starter I made, has a faint sour apple smell to it.
And my hard winter wheat starter I made using it from a local wheat harvest last year. Then had them mill it for me.
H’mm guess I need to read more, LOL!

1 Like

The starters like the Oregon trail came from that time on the Oregon trail. And was passed down. Montana came from a family that had it for like 130 years in the family. The others are from places and have provenance behind them. Also unique qualities. The three I have now are each very different. I have the ot, Montana, and the penal colony I started the beginning of this year.

1 Like

The Bavarian death one is 400 years old…the Bodie from San Francisco goes back awhile as well.

1 Like

Penal colony start for a loaf. Super sour! :crazy_face:

5 Likes

@tejas I’ll be dehydrating some Montana soon. I’ll send you some. Haven’t got the Bodie going yet. These 3 have been my focus for now. Also some penal colony if you want to try it.

1 Like

Sure, I am up for trying any new sour dough strains.

1 Like

Awesome I’ll let you know!

1 Like

Another loaf, I ate a strong edible and passed out. Was going to bake this earlier. But ehh 3 in the morning works :wink:

crumb

6 Likes

Super sour sourdough :yum:

7 Likes

Which starter did you use?
I made sourdough biscuits to go with sausage gravy today, but starved the starter for a week. The starter gave the biscuits a strong sour, one that you feel on the back of your tongue. Anyway, made for an exceptional biscuit.

2 Likes

I used the starter we started. Super sour man. I’m drying and storing the ot and the Montana. Once I have the Montana dried I could send both mine and that one.

2 Likes

It will be fun baking with them and picking out the differences between the starters.

1 Like