2024 New England/Upstate NY Outdoor Growing Discussion

They are

From last year

9 Likes

That fabulous 5 minutes every year where you can enjoy them without getting eaten alive by mosquitos haha.

5 Likes

Low elevation and the ocean makes all the difference. Manhatten Island is the Northernmost area that supports trees and plants typically associated with the South of this country. It was incredibly biodiverse before being turned into the mess it is today.

Up to 10 inches of snow coming here this week. Ugh. Should melt quickly though.
This was last weekend.

Here, no month of the year is guaranteed frost free. I’ve seen 28 degrees June 15-19, every night, and have had frost August 29th. Though I haven’t seen frost in July, the oldtimers say they’ve seen frost in July, but at the time, not in August. So now it’s official. We’re screwed here, no matter the month.
We call it mini Alaska here.

14 Likes

Having spent the last decade or two riding around the woody and abandoned edges of Northern Manhattan many nights and early mornings on my bike, I can tell you that it still is, the lower end of the Hudson is so much warmer than even 5-10 miles upriver. I’ve camped in all seasons up the NJ Palisades and in Harriman State Forest- you get up there away from the ocean and river its always a season colder. Lots of weird plants I don’t see in Southern CT where I go a lot too, and there’s even some escaped tropical birds that manage to find somewhere warm to nest uptown that you’ll see flying around, parrots and cockateils

8 Likes

FWIW there are some Monk’s Parakeets on the CT shoreline.

4 Likes

Totally! NYC metro is this red early last frost date then there’s a huge gap down to the Delaware and Chesapeake outlets:

fc8af79c0a69a0fb0abc0ceedb8e20612ee839ef

5 Likes

If your last frost isn’t around Memorial Day, you’re wrong.

1 Like

That’s me! Expecting the last one the week before memorial day, they say last week of May here but I’m hoping for earlier, gonna get some girls out under plastic well before that and just plan on rescuing them if I have to

3 Likes

Winter storm warning issued! Woooooo. Hoping for another 2 feet.

1 Like

RI has Monk parakeets also. There was a community of them living for decades in East Providence. They’re probably still there.

Because of the ocean, coastal RI communities are much more mild, than towns even 20 minutes away.

3 Likes

Apparently leaving my snowblower in the garage ready for action to keep it from snowing isn’t working…. I don’t get it. I’m calling tech support.

8 Likes

I paid for plowing in advance… not one snowfall that lasted more than a day! That’s ok, he mows for me in the summer lol!
:rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Used to go to Old Forge as a kid; lived nearby.
Always fun !

NYOLDbunyan_prov

5 Likes

It’s a cross of gypsy’s landrace and trsc which was also direct from Afghanistan.

2 Likes

That’s ok spent the day harvesting seeds. I’ve got three crosses I’ve been taking down, GDP x Mazar, GDP x GG, and GDP Wedding Cake. Going to have LOTS of seeds!

6 Likes

Yep! Same here. I told my wife I’m on strike and not doing the driveway. Already had to cut a few big pine branches off the chicken fence.

6 Likes

There’s something wrong with you lol

Ha! I decided to let this latest snow melt myself. I’m done shoveling snow too!

7 Likes

Enchanted forest Water Safari, where the fun never stops !!!

6 Likes

I was excited until the power went out and the water is still running into the sump. Woooooo

6 Likes

Yeah, know what you mean @JustANobody . We got a portable generator to deal with that issue and now hope it will start up whenever we need it to !

3 Likes