I do have some NL 5 F2 from Bodhi
and also another source of NL 5 from
florida NL frosty and NL fat.

I have some NL cross too
Sour Diesel x NL from Dr.Loads
a Cannadhian from Victoria.

Bare

6 Likes

Never heard of it…i heard you talking the other day about some plants or pollen…something smelling like burnt rubber. You know anything about that?? Id like to find some and dust my Skunk plant…that would be fun

1 Like

Welcome to the party…would you or lefthand like to take the lead…both have much more experience. We need someone to lead…with experience! Oh I could be wrong but I think Budia and Sensi are working together…could be wrong

1 Like

Hola Gang

Nah am all book up till fall

I am offering the gen to whom

ever want to do it.

Thanks to think of me

Bare

5 Likes

That Bodhi NL5 would be cool!

I know Bob Hemphill spoke highly of it on his PotCast - certainly held it in much higher regard than sensi’s current offering. Said it had really good bag appeal - not as good effect as the NL1, but he still seemed pleased with them.

I’m happy to run them and dust them with reversed pollen from my friends Sensi NL cut. His are from seeds we bought in 2004 - and that’s all he’s run for 16 years :). We think it’s pretty good.

If that sounds good to you - and you have spare NL5 f2s I’m happy to run those.

Conversely I am also happy to just forward pollen from reversing my buddy’s cut too.

Your call!

5 Likes

TOTALLY…NL#5 on one side and NL#1 on the other side

sounds wicked

4 Likes

The UBC Chemo was/is devastatingly potent,I had the privilege twice in Kelowna BC mid nineties ! Absolutely Canadian as any pot could be !(UBC) .As well as Any of breeder Steve’s gear(his Spice classics) are highly desirable in my books !
And you mentioned the Free Leonard ! That would be phenomenal as well ! I would love to be any part of this
I’ve been working on a Dank Sinatra seed run,with a promise to Sebring for some time now,I’ve two nice Dank phenos! And other DS seeds that may blend well with a Canadian project (possibly to bounce a clone only off !(LA Affie x88Ghash !)
Peace and Respect !
Absolutely Love and appreciate this community !

5 Likes

more fumbling around lets be honest lol

But to counter todays discussion above about a northern lights x northern lights line which a lot of strains are based from.

Id say try and combine a few different types of Canadian strains in a first gen seed pack to allow people to further hunt is subsequent gens specifically f2 and on, but then recombining those favored choices at that point.

Or can be done in a reverse fashion building up to those first gen packs, which may make more sense, and then still doing the recombination later of the favored stuff

Reguardless its gonna diverge very quickly to a point, so you kinda have to have an idea or plan in place.

Would be neat to have individual groups work on their own parts to add to sides of it, which allows everyone involved to have a part in it.

Also everyone’s tastes differ so would be a combo of things, its what im thinking on doing for a communal auto project just haven’t hashed it out yet.

5 Likes

Thanks @Mr.Sparkle gives us something to chew on.
I was thinking something along those lines.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

like what @bandit306 posted were each respected group adds just minus the several gens of inbreeding, sure would make things more stable, but barring time id say the goal would be to create something unique for the purposes of been fun

… ill edit up a pic or two … edit: actually ill wait till more discussion and such happens

6 Likes

IMO it’s better and maybe not much more work to inbreed the parents of the 4way. If you don’t inbreed each half of the 4way, you end up growing a whole lot more of the first generation of 4way and then are almost guaranteed a mediocre male. So then you would probably want to backcross to your female selection and then backcross again or inbreed a few times. Either way, i think you still gotta put down the numbers to get a consistent 4way.

The benefit of inbreeding the parents is that you can use them for your next one. Also, better understanding the parents by inbreeding them gives you an indication of what you would want to look for if you want to inbreed the 4way.

Anyway, that’s the way I’ve decided to do similar projects. Make the F1s from two stable parents, inbreed to F4 or 5, then cross for the 4way.

I think when you can’t grow huge numbers, the best thing to do is take small steps and more time. In early generations, make selections with 1 female and 2, but not more than 3 good males. If you have one good female for every 4, then it’s a pretty good sign you should backcross before further inbreeding.

8 Likes

What do you look for to select the males and females to cross?

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback lefthand…thats kind of you. I agree 100% about breeding inbred or true breeding. Its my understanding by selfing a plant twice 2 times it will indeed breed true and a cross of them would produce a F1 hybrid (feminized) I would point out we are starting with a very stable variety to begin with. The idea is to start with 4 true breeding stock or inbred which NL is and anyone can do it by inbreeding their female cut twice…it will breed true! Now was a hermie trait passed on…none of them were to begin with. It may pop up or it may not…

your right using males…always best! This project I think we will be fine…Id never feminize another plant or seed from this run and out-crossing you’d find a nice NL male!:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Usually structural things. Node spacing, branching structure, height, male flower production, screening abnormalities. Stem rubs and fragrance to some extent, but females are way better for that.

I treat males as somewhat unknowns in the equation. That’s why I say you should use more than 1. My philosophy is that you’re more likely to find better plants between the progeny of two different males than looking among more of a single male. As long as you can grow at least 2-3 from each. Try to pick different phenos for each male, unless they have structural aspects that you are certain you want.

Essentially what using 2 males does is slow down the genetic convergence from inbreeding. But you don’t want to use so many that you don’t get any selective pressure. When growing lower numbers, buys you time to make more selections (and therefore effectively get higher numbers).

8 Likes

Ive watched you go…outstanding and very competent. What have you got on the go…any of that burnt rubber?? We could add that in…why not?

3 Likes

I smelled it on some hybrids of Afghans that I’ve been toying with. However it only came through in the stem rubs and didn’t transfer to the buds later on. I made some crosses with pine tar kush (i think) that a few people have said smelled like burnt rubber.

6 Likes

Your reasoning makes sense, I was wondering about the males.
I suspect I’ll pester you with more questions tomorrow.

Thanks very much
G

4 Likes

Kevin Jordy put out a great video about males

4 Likes

finding and breeding those smells again…stinky shit. Stinks everything up…I need to get set up for that. NL to stinky

OH that other cross you did with the letters OB or something that shit was fire bro…some nice phenos in there.

3 Likes

I’ve thought a lot about it already.

I’ve resigned myself that I’m never going to get that 100 plant grow, so instead, gotta find the best ways with what I can do. I’ve decided that it’s just putting in the time to get enough selection. Take it slow, there’s no race. You’re gonna smoke weed after every grow either way. :joy:

Plus if I’m not willing to grow something 4-5 times, maybe it’s not worth spending time on. That’s how I keep myself honest about how good I think something is…

6 Likes