400w LED v 600w HPS Comparison Journal.. Which is the best option? Let's find out!

This is my first run with Led’s, but I’ve ran a garden for over 17 years non stop, I’m not sure what I will need to do differently, my soil is very rich in calcium, so is my well water.

I havent had problems since I started mixing up my own soil…

My soil mix is in this thread, take a look, you will see its rich in nutrients.

6 Likes

I added extra sea compost which has calcium in it, I am also adding microbial mass during waterings, this has 5 bacterias designed for plant uptake, one of them being for calcium

1 Like

We cut no corners here, I’ve been planning this comparison run for over a month and a half now, I just recently added it to the forums, but ive been behind scenes for weeks prepping for this

2 Likes

Hopefully soil is good enough for the leds, it’s good enough for everything else I run it in, should be decent enough to learn from this round

2 Likes

:popcorn: :slightly_smiling_face::+1:t2: aww this looks like it’s gonna be good.

1 Like

Hoping so, If not I talked myself into one huge failure lol, but I’m pretty confident in my ability to grow a plant, been doing it over a 1/3rd of my life.

2 Likes

I got to go out shopping, I’m trying to talk my wife into letting me get wall fans, I’m guessing she is going to tell me to use the 4 stand fans j just bought lol…

I will also be picking up green over head lights for all light fixtures in the basement, I use to have them but wife threw them out

Edit: I also got to go price out some pvc, since I sectioned off the room I cant run a single trellis all the way across, I’m going to make 4x4 pvc framed trellis for each section

1 Like

I debated running this like I do my outdoor, put a big ass cage in each section and just run them in cages, never tried this before indoors

1 Like

I’d suggest leaving the wall fans at Walmart , buy a couple of the high output floor fans something that will wiggle plants 10/12 ft away .

If you were close I’d give you all my old wall whips I found them to be useless in my room.

2 Likes

Very cool thread! Thanks for sharing this.

This is why I decided to start logging again, the vast opinions and different options really helps me alot…

I will look into this when I’m at home depot

Edit: I just remembered I need some DE, i will use this for added silica and as a gnat preventative measure.

No bugs are welcome in my room, I have a 4 gal and a 2 gal backpack sprayer, along with 1 gal hand held sprayer and even an end hose sprayer if we need it… no bugs allowed

I even spray lady bugs, too many of them if I dont contain them, straight infestation of Asian beetles “lady bug cousin” over here when they chop the farm fields around here.

1 Like

Seedlings cracked open and are in starting pots, waiting for them to break surface.

I adjusted the lights so I can reach 150 ppfd, all lights were turned all the way down…

Sf400 hung 18in to reach 150 ppfd

VS4300 was hung 40in to reach 151 ppfd

PL4500 was put on full spectrum and hung 31in to reach 150 ppfd.

@VIVOSUN

4 Likes

Why not 600 vs 600?
Imo the 400 LED if I remember can do 1.5sf well 2.0 good.
The 600 LED I have can do 2.0 sf
Well and 2.5 good.
Anyway I’m curious now.
GL

@HippyFarmer420 is this plastic divider too close to the 600w light? From the angle in the picture it seems it could be a fire hazard? Could easily be an optical illusion on this end.

3 Likes

I turned that reflector sideways, this gave over 2+ft from that poly, hps is not close to poly now

4 Likes

I’d gladly compare the 600w leds if someone wanted to pay for them.

This run I could only afford the 400w comparison, hopefully I can save up and do the 600w comparison next.

1 Like

It was touching, I seen that too and instantly fixed it, I’ll take another pic of how it is now, but it’s not close to any poly now

1 Like

Also everyone claims the 400w leds can replace the 600w hid, I was curious if that was true or just marketing, we will find out if the 400w led can replace the 600w hps

2 Likes

I’ll get another photo update today of the changes made and the seedlings that are starting to come to life

1 Like

I do know this par meter is a god sent tho, no guess work anymore I can adjust the ppfd to whatever is needed at the time…

Seedlings here I want to stay at 150pfd until they get more established, then I’ll turn up the ppfd accordingly.

1 Like