400w LED v 600w HPS Comparison Journal.. Which is the best option? Let's find out!

I’m wondering what sort of impact the reflector type/material/brand and even wing angle has on the 600w readings. Is the bulb open to air or within a cool tube/ behind a glass lens?

You’re doing an amazing job so far. Interesting data youve gathered with the meter thus far.

Thankyou for doing this, in the name of curiosity and science.

1 Like

Reflector materials and space both will influence these numbers, readings in tents will be different then readings Im getting in open rooms.

2 Likes

AND WE ARE SYSTEM GO!

I have started germinating seeds, my 8inch replacement vent is hung, my 15 gal pots are going to be here today, soil is cooking, HVAC guys will be here next week, we are on schedule to where I wanted to be before Oct was over…

I will be getting more pics tonight.

3 Likes

My numbers are close tho…

I too was concerned about some of the readings I was getting, some wasn’t matching charts…

So I reached out to @VIVOSUN and they contacted their development team to see what was going on…

Come to find out readings from tents and rooms are not the same and my numbers presented based on my area space is on par…

QB boards don’t see much of a degrade from tents to open space due to their compact lighting, but light bars do…

All should be well tho and the numbers are on point and they all start matching the 600w hps after that 18in range.

4 Likes

15 gallon fabric pots came in today!

I will place 1 pot under each light…

BONUS!

The 15 gal pots came with free trimming scissors!

Free Scissors!

8 Likes

Ironically my wife who does not know anything about growing was surprised at how big the pots are that she ordered…

“Baby did you really need me to order pots this big”… “Um yes, yes I did”!

Got to love my wife… I spend her vacation money on dirt this year and what does she do,. buys me more pots and an enail! I LOVE HER!

6 Likes

Soil web is already starting to form!

This is going to be a good batch of soil, I can feel it…

@VIVOSUN

5 Likes

To help eliminate light spills from each light, I decided I am going to section off each area…

I’m trying to be as thorough as possible here .

10 Likes

To make their numbers where they want them they test their lights in a SMALL TENT that reflects BIG TIME.
Saw it with my new LED’s too! Kinda bullshit, but it is what it is.

I have run the tests your running…i now run LEDS :sunglasses:

4 Likes

So what’s a guy do in a large room hang panda sheets to help the led lights?
Buy a bunch of tents ? Lol

2 Likes

Hang sheets…but not neccessary…My big tent is huge, neither light is up against a wall of the tent. My lights throw so much lumens it’s not a big deal. My first run with the LED’s, will never run HPS again. Think yield is very similiar(HPS may be a tiny bit better) but no heat, better area coverage(HPS falls off once off center) and so much easier to deal with. PLUS…didnt burn myself one time this whole run :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Hang panda and get big lights lol

1 Like

I redid the sectioning, logging this run has my OCD on high alert, which is good, I need it to keep me on top of things

1 Like

Hopefully this will help prevent light spill and take out one more variable.

@VIVOSUN

13 Likes

Doing the same experiment myselft, looking forward for your results.

Oh, remember that you will need to adapt feeding accordingly to the light type, so it can go smoth.

1 Like

I think it is common for lights with dimmers to set them to be overdriven when they are set at 100%, so you could try backing that one off to 80% if the heat is a concern. All of them can be run at less than 100% probably, shooting for something like 40-50 DLI .

2 Likes

I run pre mixed organic soil, Im not sure what you mean by adapt my feeding, I use water and compost teas mainly, with topdressing in there now and then “not too much”.

1 Like

I will use my par meter to adjust the lights height and dimmer switch.

I will make sure I am at optimal ppfd during each stage, got to love the par meter.

2 Likes

If this isn’t your 1st time usong Led, you are blessed and don’t change a thing, I eventually neefed some calmag on my feeding probably because of my water but I do different feedings from hps to led, and in order to male the test viable is if perfect conditions are accomplished in all spaces, otherwise yelds will be misleading.