5H Club - Winter Test Run 2018

5H Club • …And Exhale

Didn’t realize breaths being held waiting on clones to root…
The second Tahoe (white) finally shot roots from the Node2 clone.

It’s under the cup to disperse the light a bit and wean it into it’s new home.
The other Tahoe (red) is 4 days in and it’s top was pointed up at the light today.
Response to the added lumens and spectrum in veg area encouraging (more later).

2 Likes

5H Club • Janis in Triplicate

The seed Janis has finished week 1 of 12/12. Not happy with only a half ration of water,
but it was BTI for lower and drying for upper (but topside got juiced down also).

The pair taken from the lower Node 2 are similar in the way they act so far. Each got a
different FIM so will see how they fill out. Next week they get their fabric to settle into.

The upper clone in the cilantro bag is coming along. Not sure if it’s a mother yet or not.

3 Likes

5H Club • Tahoe Trail Tales

Have two phenos Red and White (Red & Green) each as at least 2 clones.

Red was a fast starter, from seed, above ground, show sex, all a couple days ahead of other.
Red was first to root a clone, a week ahead for first one, but was a lower node. Only took one
as the second was very small.

There are 2 more red clones not shown, they were taken from above the seed topping, one of
them being the very top of the plant that was forced into flower. They took 3 weeks to root, as
they were also re-vegging at the same time.
Worth it? Re-veg is a crazy structure…

3 Likes

I don’t usually re-veg… I have done it just for the experience. It is neat, just takes time and space… Thanks for sharing your grow pictures…

5H Club • Cloudy With A Chance Of Tahoe

The testers are at week 7. Everything is cloudy and still bulking up a bit.
Since the EB panel went to it’s new home, put in a Vero 18 3500K gen7 from the
previous light build. Running at 1000mA on the same LDD board as the EB strips.

Running three of them in a row has increased their usual temps and if it were later in the year,
when ambient runs higher, I’d revert to original configuration of Cob - Fan - Cob - Fan - Cob

The EB strips and extra Vero is just to add a bit at the end of flower.

Still a few white hairs but no real signs of foxtailing. Another week…
Waaaay back in this post harvest before the First, so it could be dry and jarred by 4/20.
Next week.

4 Likes

5H Club • Joining our Janis Already in Progress

Week 2 and things were getting a bit stretchy and the two uprights got the
mangle fold this time around. A bit rough, bruised but not broken. Some of
the lowers were spread wide, but rather than turn up where strapped, they
lay flat, turning up at the ends and budding out along the length…

The left/right duo from Node2 - The FIM did it’s job on the pair and have been expecting
them to start fading out in this size container about now (not yet). They’ll get the flower size
next week, a week to recover, and then into box when Janis is at week 4.

And the holdout, the cilantro is still blooming every chance it gets.
Just hanging around in case needed, possible mother, outdoor, other…

4 Likes

I’m digging on the cilantro cover. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

5H Club • Seasonal Changes
Let’s see… there was something I was supposed to do this week…
CHOP CHOP

The testers at 55 days were starting to show a few amber (and NEEDED the space)
These never reached any height, but their growth was all my fault in their early days.

Got some new EB gen2 strips for a new demo light unit (meaning I can take it mobile
on location where needed) Not quite Wago connectors but cheapish. Went with both
current levels for 4 strip builds. At 1050 it’s at the upper end of the driver, and the 700
can handle 2 more strips in series.

Janis takes center stage at Week 3 (needs a trimming) flanked by her 2 clone sisters…
The Tahoe girls work the front of the house.

The veg area almost looks deserted, but everything is Tahoe (except cilantro lady) and at the
point that if I transplant them into larger containers they will explode on me. :fireworks:

3 Likes

5H Club • Blue Easter Egg Fools
The once in a Blue Moon fever hit and dropped the light and have
decided to take the Vero18 training wheels off and run all strips for
a cycle.

As a comparison model this is Vero18 EB gen1 EB gen2 so different
when they advanced, no wonder it gives better lumen/watt.

It’s actually 2 fixture hung independently but need to pick up another
set of rope ratchets this week. Until then string will have to do…
The low profile let the two fixtures mate fairly close together.

The girls come out of the dungeon darkness and should have a
whole new level of light to play in…

3 Likes

5H Club • What’s 4 Which 4 Watch 4

Janis is at week 4 and ready to plump up and wind down. A few of the
lower leaves are starting to yellow. Will get a good feeding of guano and
bloom enhancers next 2 weeks.

From the top you can see the tie down early on, opened up the canopy for a few
of the lower branches to develop decent buds.

Now the clone pair are at week 1 and just starting to put out budlets. They were from the
2nd node and continued the alternating nodes when cloned. They got topped once and
left to develop as they like into little bushes.

In the next couple weeks will watch their stretch. Have simulated where a scrog level would
be if installed. The light is lower than previously run. Can raise it if needed, and if so will also
bring the flower girl up an equal amount.

6 Likes

5H Club • Raised and Ready

Janis has reached week 5 and coming along nicely. Based on the development of the
tops at the previous level, am interested to see how the clones fare closer to the lights.

Raised Janis a bit higher (2 funk & wagnall) to get her tops up for a bit.
Even with the canopy so far the underside is still working for the cover crops.

The tops of the Joplin twins are at 5 inches from the actual EB strips, and Janis sits around 8 inches.
The new light installed was lower than with the Veros by 3 inches, finding a distance to work at…

And finally a bit closer look at Janis. Her hairs are browning a bit and when you shake
a branch the motion continues nicely with their weight. The duo on either side ran up a bit
am interested in how their colas will form and might need support the short method doesn’t.

5 Likes

Their so nice looking, doing well, stick.in their… Gourges😊… Mechelle x

1 Like

5H Club • Cola Crash Helmets

Well three days ago I could throw a plastic ruler up and clear the tops…
Today they are within half that distance so the stretch isn’t quite over yet…

Moved temporary back into the veg area for cleanup and photos and they are right up there at
about the same level as in the box, within inches of the strips.

But rather than mess with the fixture on Friday The 13th will leave it until tomorrow before lights off.
The canopy is filling out and will give them a bit more ceiling and bring the front Tahoe up a bit.

4 Likes

5H Club • Duo Differences
The Janis duo clones have a slight difference. When transplanting them from the long tub,
forgot to put the Mykos on the root ball of the first one and didn’t want to disturb efforts.
The one WITH Mykos has the butterfly bangle. All the tie downs are cast loose and ready.

You can see above where the scrog screen level would have been if installed early on.
They have 10+ inches above that level. Will see how they differ at end.

Miss Janis is enjoying life dining on sweet nectars and LITFA.

6 Likes

5H Club • Tiny Tahoe or Tricky Tahoe
Since there is only one of each they aren’t getting the trial run they should.
The Red was first and continues to be the more dominant plant.

The White had clones taken from the backbone early on. They still grew limbs there, and they
do reach canopy height, but are skinny compared to some other main branches.

Trying to find a close up lens. The pistils of the Tahoe are yellow/white but they have these dark
pistils running through them that’s a bit different…

7 Likes

Your plants are looking really good. Mechelle x

1 Like

5H Club • Inhale…
At the end of March, the two tester plants were harvested and spent a
week in a progression of large paper bags. Then dry trimmed and placed
in jars to continue curing.

This is after 11 days in the jar, opening to air check them daily, otherwise in
a dark box waiting for 4/20. Have weighed them twice so far and they aren’t
losing any weight since the cure is almost complete.

The Red team (above) clocked in at 27 grams. Yellow Team at 24 grams.

No taste/smell report until after independent opinions solicited on 4/20.
The trim I’ve been enjoying so far isn’t even close to the frost level that’s about to happen…

5 Likes

5H Club • $trip ¢lub Edition (no Euro symbol)
Day 19 for the junior crew and having watched live leaf stripping on YouTube
(Thanks Gro Koski) went ahead and got a bit more aggressive than usual and
removed many, many fan leaves up to the growth ends.

Raised the lights above the green velcro strip (arrow previous level) and what I can see is
a 6 inch ‘growth’ zone. The canopy level went upward and the lowers all came up to the
level of the previous starting point.

The same 6 inch growth zone is repeated in the Tahoes but the manglefold technique
and clones snatched off major nodes along the spine made the ends branch more.

With the Joplin duo, the fan leaves were stripped and it opened up the lower canopy,
but those branches only have half as many bud sites. The comparison of forming buds
and the 6 week Janis buds in the foreground, they are gonna swell up nice.

Was asked if the Tahoe was stretchy or stacked and leafy pheno.
I’d say stacked and leafy, but much of that is due to LST and early training. These are stacked
in the same 6 inch growth zone seen all over the box. The clones (while they lived) and if fimmed
and trained in the same manner as the Joplin duo would also have been classified as stretchy.

4 Likes

5H Club • After the 4/20 Clouds Cleared

We’ve arrived at week 7 for Janis, all of the top colas are displaying a bit of red and yellow
and the fans continue to fall when lightly tugged… The lower sections are all still green but
they have stopped putting out daily pistil bursts. I’ve scoped it and not seeing any ambers
but am seeing A LOT of frost all over.

The Joplin duo at week 4 have put on some weight and filled out again. They haven’t gone
up much more after the light was raised. Am watching these two to see if the coloration in
late flower is genetic or something I’ve done. The under buds are a little more exposed to
the light than they were with Janis.

Tahoe Red - This one also responded well to the leaf strip last week and has put on weight.
There is a reddish tinge to the outside edges of the upper fan leaves. Doesn’t look like a
nute issue, is healthy leaf otherwise. Temps have been a bit lower before they came back
up this week so could be that also.

Tahoe White - not much to report (back in corner with you) one of the better cilantro patches.

What can I say… it makes me happy…

Watching those upper colas on the Joplin duo and how well they develop at that distance from
the fixture. Their under buds are at same level as the upper buds on the Tahoe pair.

4 Likes

5H Club • Wrapping Up A Bare Lady

Last weekend - under the full moon - the Trim Bear called in his consultants, the Ganja Gnomes, and convinced her to go topless. So the upper colas were trimmed and put in a bag to slow dry. The remaining buds were all left another week to day 60.

She started out under the Vero 18s for the first 3 weeks. When the new strips were installed, she got propped up a few inches. Over the course of weeks it was a bit much for her and she started yellow and red display that increased as time went on. Great for trich production, not so much for bag appeal.

Just the top colas was more of a jar than I expected, but the bag only had the tops and they dried a bit faster than usual (4 days) but since I got some 62% packets and put one in the jar.
On to the second round…

The amount of lower buds was nice, looking down through the canopy you can see a bit of dirt but it filled in across. Wet trimming was easy as always since there isn’t much left to remove.

After dry trimming the first round of tops, the light burn wasn’t as bad as it looked and they trimmed up nicely. Another couple of weeks and will see (tried small larf nugget and it was great)

7 Likes