Green Closet of Funk OG homecoming

Greetings everyone,
It’s been 20 years since my last grow, I finally have the time and some space to dedicate to a new grow spot. I’ve got a 2x4 tent, a fan with carbon filter, and a small LED and shades to get started. This will be a (hopefully) stealth grow with fairly low budget. I plan to use a mix of potting soil with ocean forest and happy frog, and fertilize with worm casting tea and/or maybe guano.

I’ve popped several seeds, I’m working with a small stash of bag seeds so somewhat unknown, but several were separated out. I have 3x from a bag of WeddingCake, 2x from a bag labeled ST (could be SourTangie) and 1x mystery seed.

The ST’s were kind of white and lifeless looking so I started soaking 2 more seeds, 1x StrawberryWine 1x CorleoneKush. I have since been able to coax both ST’s out of their seed helmet and gently remove a thick membrane trying to strangle them.

My space is fairly limited, but I hope to add a small veg area next to the main chamber to keep the grow perpetual. I will likely need more light for the 2x4 during bloom, so I may purchase a larger light and move the blurple Giixer to the veg area. Comments and constructive criticism welcomed, its good to be back under the lights!

22 Likes

Welcome to OG! I’ll be keeping an eye on this one. If I can offer some constructive criticism it’s to turn the blurple off for pics, it can be hard to see the plants in detail under that light.

Looking forward to seeing what pops up.

2 Likes

Thanks for stopping by @smokenhike. You’re right, the blurple makes it look awful, I’ve got a few better pics of the babies. I’ll make sure to at least turn off the bloom lights for future pics. :+1:

smallest ST

Largest, a WeddingCake

StrawberryWine popped a tail

9 Likes

Good luck with the grow and welcome to OG!

3 Likes

I could tell I would need more light filling my 2x4 tent to get through flowering so I purchased 2 Maxsisun MF1000 lights. They juuust arrived, so I’ve got one hooked up for now and I’m loving it already.

The babies seem happy with it!

I should have just enough space to squeeze a 2x2 right next to the main 2x4 tent to use as a seedling/clone/mother area, I’ll reuse the Giixer there for veg (it was doing fine).

I’d like to solicit feedback on the layout of the closet, I will have 2 MF1000 in the main tent, 1 Blurple for veg, I have 2 complete 4" fan and filter sets. I have 2 small cool mist humidifiers for the area to help keep RH and temps in the right zone.
How would you route the cooling system? I was planning to intake air from the lowest spot on the veg tent, mount the filter up high, and suck air into the veg tent, output into the flower tent. The flower tent has a carbon covered intake hole in the back and would suck in from that intake and the veg tent, exhaust goes back into the closet for now.

Maybe just using each kit separately in it’s own tent would be best.
I’m hoping heat won’t be a major issue, if so, I would likely purchase a cheap door to modify with some vents.

5 Likes

Just had the same problem and ended up going with 2 fans & filters in the end. One fan wasn’t enough to control the heat. Might work in your environment though.

My plan was to keep the temps & humidity higher in the veg tent, and also save on buying a second filter. I put a duct between tents with veg vents closed flower vents open, exhaust fan & filter in veg. There wasn’t enough suction to pull the heat out of the flower tent even with the fan at full blast. Tents aren’t sealed very well I guess.

There are a few advantages to using separate fans for each tent though… if one dies you don’t roast both tents, can set a different speed in each tent for better temp & humidity control, harder for pests to migrate between, and better odor control.

3 Likes

Thanks @smokenhike I’ll start with venting each tent separately when the time comes. I couldn’t resist hooking up the 2nd light and checking it out. It’s going to be nice and bright in the tent for flowering. :sunny:

2 Likes

Hey OG! Another closet update, I mixed up some soil the other day and stuck the largest WC in a bigger pot with the new mix.

I used some local pre-composted organic potting soil as a base, then about 90% of a bag of HappyFrog, a bag of worm castings, lots of perlite, and quick sprinkle of Dr Earth tomato and herb ferts.

The mix feels nice and fluffy.

WC1 seems happy

WC2 on the far right will be uppotted next

I’ll wait a day or two to see how WC1 reacts before uppotting any more in the new mix.

I’ve got a very slow, but still alive WC runt from the same seedcrack as the others. It sits in the dimmest, dampest spot under a bag now. Everyone else seems to be happy under the new lights, I have them set to 70% power, temps/rh are under control with fan on medium.
Grow babies grow! :sunny:

5 Likes

I’ve had some nice growth under the new lights, I repotted the other WC and both STs. One ST looks taller and leaner than the other. Getting some small undergrowth on the biggest plants now.

My unknown seed was showing some burnt leaves, I flushed her out with some water and will keep an eye on her.

Keeping the light around 70% power still

The runt is showing some movement now

I’ve been watering with plain tapwater that has been left to sit out 24+hrs, things look fine for now, but I’m considering using some inexpensive filters to cut the chlorine. Are the cheap amazon RV water filters worth it? Do I neeeed a Boogie Blue? I’ll order a 2x2 tent soon and start setting up the permanent veg grow space. Thanks for stopping by the closet! :man_farmer:

3 Likes

Big week for the Green Closet of Funk! The 2x2 veg tent and a few other odds and ends arrived. I’ve got everything just barely crammed in the closet now.

The veg tent

I’ve been running one light at 100% and the 2nd around 40% in the main tent for the last few days, the plants seem to be loving it. The flower tent has a little breathing room… for now…

I used a few 3D printed LST clips to train a few branches on the WCs

I also took a stab at taking my first clones! I grabbed a clipping from each WC and ST. I soaked the cuttings in some water with a phat knifetip of rooting powder mixed in. I pulled a fresh aloe leaf from around the house and squeezed some aloe goop in the soil holes, dipped the soaked stem in root powder, and stuck the cuttings into the aloe goop in the soil. I’m using a mix of DIY clone chambers, it looks like the 2 liter bottle and large lidded drink are doing the best.

I’ll see about whipping up another 2 liter bottle quickly to save one of the ST cuts that is just wearing a bag as a dome.

I picked up a 4" wye and connected the exhaust fan output of each tent

My DIY duct exhaust, I may extend it a bit now that 2 fans are going through it, but it seems fine for now.

I’d recently been messing with a few different ESP32 embedded microcontrollers for an unrelated project and had an ESP32-cam module laying around so I got it hooked up in the main tent.

I’ve tried a few different available sketches for it and have settled on basic camera functionality for now. I have some DHT22 temp/humidity sensors laying around as well, but haven’t been successful at integrating the sensor on the camera yet. I found a sketch for a smartgarden using this device, but its a bit more complicated than I need. If anyone here has more expertise, I’d love to get something like this setup and working to share with the larger OG community. Maybe something similar is already on this site and I haven’t found it… I’ll likely pick up a 2 pack of ESP32-cams so I can continue to remotely monitor the main tent as I keep attempting to brute force combine a few different sketches without really knowing what I’m doing :sunglasses: Keep it Funky! :man_farmer:

7 Likes

I got some :fire: in the mail from @DougDawson and @iamyou_youareme the other day (BOG fire mix, SilverLotus F2s, and GogiOGxC99) so I decided to move up the timeline for flowering the bagseed stuff.

A few pics from just before lights out this morning, everyone looking happy and healthy. All the flowering plants were given EWC topdress and watered last night.

Most plants were trained lightly during veg, a few have some LST clips

Lots of light colored happy new growth. Some nice smells from stem rubs, also mostly identified my unknown plant by her BO/StankFeet funk.

The cuttings seem to be doing fine in their domes, all plants from seed are now uppotted from their solo cups, even the runt WC is looking good now. The StrawberryWine is getting some nice fruity smells in veg.

I was also able to figure out the problem with my ESP32-CAM, it seems the GND pin I was using for the DHT22 temp/humid sensor was also a reset pin (Doh!) It is working fine now that I found a proper ground to use. Thanks for stopping by. :man_farmer:

8 Likes

Nice, should be some great stuff in that fire mix.

2 Likes

Another productive week in the closet, I was gifted some nice seeds from @AzSeaindooin420, some WhiteRhino and JackHerer. Thanks again!

I destroyed a male CorleoneKush that was showing balls on stalks in veg. I was also able to identify the sex of several other plants.

It looks like both of the vigorous WeddingCakes are males

More balls

I’ve got a female SourTangie bagseed plant starting to get hairy

And my UnknownBagQueen turned out female, and kinda funky smelling already

I went ahead and soaked several seeds a few days ago, some already have small taproots and are in peat pellets. The GogiOGxC99(fem) and SilverLotus F2s from @iamyou_youareme were the first to go in my new small seedling tray and dome.

The BOG FireMix originally from @Indoornesian has started to crack and a few taps are emerging, they will go in soon. (Thanks @DougDawson!)

I had rising temps in both tents earlier in the week, and reduced output from the exhaust vent. I added another passive intake with a small 4" plastic drain grate (stuffed with some carbon prefilter roll cut into discs) connected to some ducting bent into an S with a 4" elastic filter sock on the other end.

I thought maybe a fan was dying or something was somehow plugged up. I ended up wiping down the cotton prefilter socks on both tent carbon filters and all my issues went away. Temps went right back to normal and airflow was restored at the outlet. :man_facepalming: I’ll need to switch to some distilled water in my humidifiers and/or check those prefilters every few weeks for buildup.

9 Likes

I had doubts about my sexing of both Wedding Cakes, so I left them alone for a bit. Instead of balls, I think I’m seeing some small female preflowers. I actually found some white hairs on WC1, and WC2!

I’m glad I just left them alone a few more days, the previously destroyed CorleoneKush had a much more pronounced ball on a stalk. I wanted to add some sort of bloom fertilizer, and I’ve seen people have luck with products from the Jack’s line. I’ve mixed up some weak Bloom Booster and will use it weekly on the girls in flower. I went ahead and up-potted both WC1 and WC2 and watered/fed everything. Here’s the new group shot.

And a quick shot of the seedlings

6 Likes

Those pics are girls for sure!
Congrats!
:robot:

1 Like

Hi @Dirtron , thanks for looking in. I thought they were girls, but now I’m having second thoughts again! I’m seeing some swelling preflowers that I hope aren’t signs of the WCs herming on me…

It looks like balls to me, but I’ll leave them be for a bit longer, see how they continue to grow.

I had a bit of a bad run for a few days, I was having problems controlling the heat and humidity in the veg tent even after cleaning off it’s prefilter. I was forced to change my normal seedling method and it seems I have lost a few seedlings during those few days. I found and fixed the problem, the tubing had come loose at the rear of the veg exhaust fan and wasn’t exhausting the tent at all… Things have been stable since.

A group shot, all flowering plants are in final 3gal fabric pots. The canopy isn’t very even, getting some stretch on the main on ST1 and UBQ, I’ll likely need to bend them over soon.

Some yellow discoloration on some leaves, only on 1 plant… Defeciency? Genetic? Did I spill something on it?

I’ve been adding funk infusions to my daily sessions, it doesn’t seem to be hurting!

The clones are looking pretty good, one had very vigorous roots and was uppotted to a solo cup, it has since had it’s humidity dome removed and is showing new growth.

Until next time :man_farmer:

2 Likes

Those are looking like full on Hermies!!!

Where did you get the Wedding Cake from?
@Purple-N-Hairy ran a pack from junk seed (seed junky) in which every single female hermied, and Purp’s setup is pretty dialed in.

You can find his thread… or better, here is the link…

So while your mix-up probably didn’t help any, it also was not the cause. Shitty breeder/breeding is the cause.

Regarding the auto’s, most people do plant directly into the pot they are going to finish in. This is because with auto’s the roots hitting the bottom of their pot is one of the triggers to start flowering.

However, I start my autos in small pots, then I do a pot-in-pot (stacked pots) up-potting before/just as roots start to grow out the bottom of the smaller 1st pot (the ones I use have a mesh bottom)

Here is an example from a male I just culled, this is a 3.25”x3.75” “waterdance” pot in a 1g square pot.

And the bottom of the 3.25” x 3.75” Waterdance pot, so you can see how the roots can just grow straight through the bottom and into the larger pot…

Hope it helps, YMMV,
:robot:

5 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation @Dirtron , I was afraid you would say that! The WeddingCake plants are both from bagseed, the smoke was good, but there were several seeds throughout. I knew I had a chance of going hermie using bagseed, it sounds like I picked a real winner with the seed junky stuff lol.

I like those pots, it looks like BOG’s method of up-potting to spare the roots some shock. I’ll keep my eye out for something similar.

Unfortunately it sounds like it’s time for me to cull some hermies!!!

1 Like

So I went ahead and destroyed the herming WC1 plant, all of the WC clones, and the still vegging WC3 that was the runt. I left WC2 alone, it didn’t show any signs of balls after I’d plucked a few suspicious spots a few days prior. I started training the heavily stretching ST1 to try to even out her canopy.

I have 2 phenos of SourTangie going, one is flowering like crazy, the other is barely showing pistils and hasn’t stretched much.

UBQ stretching, and looking sexy, I’m leaving her au naturel, barely any training.

Now onto the last Wedding Cake, WC2. I just couldn’t bring myself to kill it, nothing but hairs came of the spots I was suspicious of.

I went ahead and clipped a barely flowering lower of WC2 for another clone, just in case things continue to go well from here. The StrawBerryWine seems to be showing female preflower in veg so I’ve up-potted her to her final 3gal fabric pot.
I fed everything flowering mild Jack’s BlossomBooster 3 days ago, and I’ve fed everyone again today, nothing has burnt yet, so I’ll keep feeding instead of straight water until it looks like I need to back off.
Also… I ordered a worm farm a month or so ago to start making my own EWC, and noticed today when I went to dump some scraps that I had worm eggs! Proud worm father! :man_farmer:

5 Likes

Small closet update. I’m battling some fungus gnats, seemily winning the war with a vinegar trap and some Hydrogen Peroxide.
I got a set of clip on macro lenses for my phone, managed to get a few neat looking shots, but I’ve ordered a small scope to be able to check trichomes.

Wedding cake starting to frost the sugar leaves, no sign of herming or seeded bud sites yet

ST1 looking healthy still, the buds are starting to fatten up

UBQ looking nice and healthy

A few lights out shots after a quick water/H2O2 spraydown

I’ve got 3 seedlings going now, and 4 new ones to come soon. The BOG firemix seedling has mutated likely from the couple of days of high heat.

6-19 SilverLotus
2x more BOG Fire mix and 2x SilverLotus seeds have been popped to replace the ones that damped off a few weeks ago. All 4 were soaked/cracked a few days ago. I checked on them and all 4 had tails so they hit dirt today. The Closet has been upgraded with it’s own cheapo BT speaker so the ladies will get some music played daily. I went with some JS Bach the other night.

6 Likes