7's Workshop of Weed

Seems like I’m always just checking when you post but eh. Love what you are doing and it spawns questions for me haha! got your email by the way, Thank you again and I’ll be watching for the postie. :+1:

Is that a single flush from your tub? If so I’d love to know a bit more detail on the size of your tubs. Mine are looking like they will be an inch or so deep in a 13 by 8 inch tub. Apologies if you have already mentioned this in previous posts, memory is short and reading back over things every time isn’t my forte.

4 Likes

No worries! I like questions, it provokes conversation and adds to the wealth of knowledge of the internet :smiley:

This was 2 flushes. Had one big flush that I picked over a couple days, then I soaked the substrate in another tub for about 6 hours and then put back into original tub, then harvested another load over a couple days adding to about 14g dry total. This grow was made with 7 140ml BRF jars with about a 1:1 ratio with coco for the substrate

These are the tubs I use, from B&Q

This is my lil tent

In each lid I have a little hydrometer hotglued. Super useful, I have the same ones minus the external rod for my curing jars

This is the first rye grain tub. 6x 490ml jars of rye grain inoculated with Fiji agar with coco + vermiculite + gypsum more info

This is my setup. its a bit messy atm though

5 Likes

Ooh that’s right i can bulk it out with coco, was figuring id just case it in vermiculite and be done. I like your setup and doubly sealed with that tent is pretty cool.

My setup is literally a tub ontop of my grow box/shelves with the lid cracked. Temps are kept up by the grow box and I just tune the humidity by watching the condensation on the lid and walls, less means close it and drops forming that look like they could fall means crack it open more.

3 Likes

Now Bob, that is true ol’school!
My youngest is ‘hot to trot’ on growing 'shrooms. I keep pointing him at 7’s thread…

Cheers

G

2 Likes

Yeah man, they are surprisingly hardy once fully colonised and i figure if they do it like this then why give em more :rofl: just got to make more tubs! Then more shelf space haha

A thing to note is the shelf is above the top of the window so they are never got directly by light and any contamination is pulled immediately and outside of tubs and shelf are cleaned weekly ish on the soaking day.

1 Like

If they need some links here’s a few bookmarks I have

Updated PF Tek Guide - Mushroom Cultivation - Shroomery Message Board

BRF to bulk/Cakes as spawn : Post your BRF Bulk grows - Mushroom Cultivation - Shroomery Message Board

BOD’s Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elementary coir tek by Damion5050) - Mushroom Cultivation - Shroomery Message Board

BRF CAKE to COIR BULK START to FINISH Updated 4/15/18 - Mushroom Cultivation - Shroomery Message Board

Very simple grain tek. Easy as the PF tek. - Substrates - Shroomery Message Board

Rye bitches RYE !!! - Substrates - Shroomery Message Board

Agar portal - Mushroom Cultivation - Shroomery Message Board

Reishi Mycelium or Not? updated-- Reishi Grow Log - Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms - Shroomery Message Board

Shroomery - Simplified Cultivation Methods, Easy As Fuck link list, Trusted Culvator links and methods and other cultivation info

8 Likes

HOLY CRAP!
What a library! Thanks!!

I’ll pass those links on (they are gold)

Cheers and Thanx
G

2 Likes

I decided in the end not to adjust the feeding, and im glad I did because growth has exploded and them seem to have gotten over the N toxicity, which im thinking now was just transplant shock.

Some great node spacing coming along, you can tell they are satvias. Will veg these girls for another 2 weeks or so and then start looking at making clones. Need to find some good links to do cloning, I always get stuck on which nodes to cut and which nodes to leave to grow. I read that you shouldnt clone from a clone, but how do people keep producing them if they dont do that? surely you cant keep a mother alive for that long?

4 Likes

Thought you might be amused by this or had a similar experience :rofl: last time was a free 3ml syringe and this time…

6 Likes

My first order I got a lil choc bar as well as a freebie, but not in the second one. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

A week of growth and 1 shake

5 Likes

The Lemon Hunt day 36 (25v)

All plants are growing nicely. No signs of deficiencies or toxicities. Big ol’ fan leaves, now under the Cree cob lights (about 500w draw) in 16ltr smart pots.

Still feeding with the regular schedule at around 5.5-5.8pH and 2.0-2.3 EC. I have dropped the Rhizotonic as i’m almost out and I dont think they need it now they are pretty thicc

I topped them 2 days ago in an attempt to manage their height. As I’m looking for the best performer to create a mother from, I will want to keep them from getting too big (and they are Satvias!). I took these tops (one from each) and made an attempt to clone them. Checking them today they’ve all completely wilted which is annoying, this pretty much always happens when I try to clone and I think, to be fair, its because the stalk is too thick. So I decided to have another go with a few from the lowest node (to also make a bit more space under the plant). I took both stems from plant A and D (currently the best performers) and put them into pots with a bag over them, under my Mars Hydro 300w blurple - The first cuts were put under the Bridgelux so could also just be too powerful and they wilted?

Hopefully these ones do much better, but these are just technique tests for when the mothers are a bit older and I can start taking multiple clones (once the nodes start alternating)

Really nice node spacing, currently the favourite for a mother.

Pretty bushy but over all nice strong growth. Might make a good mother, although its quite small for a satvia, the buds might pack on a lot nicer.

The second favourite for a mother.

Group photo!

7 Likes

Last night vs this morning. Getting there! Tubs need more FAE, don’t think the holes ive added is enough so i’ve cracked the lid and rotated it to allow for more air exchange. Not sure if I need a small fan or something to circulate the air more.

5 Likes

What signs make you say you need more FAE? Just wondering cause if mine looked like that id be well happy haha

1 Like

If you look closely at the bottom you’ll see some fuzzyness. If that grows bigger than just a small point where the mushroom grows out, it needs more FAE. They’re not too bad, a few of them are (look middle right - fuzz is over 50% of the stem)

1 Like

I see, I get that on a few of mine too to be honest but its not harmful to my knowledge so I didn’t really bother much about it.

1 Like

second tub looking a bit… special

7 Likes

Thought i’d post my process here copied from a comment I made on reddit that might help someone

For my agar I use water I had used to simmer the rye grain I was prepping for my jars. I filtered that through a coffee filter and then took 900ml of it and 20g of agar agar powder and mixed together. Boiled for about 15 minutes whilst stirring which reduced it to about 800ml. I poured 200ml into 4 glass bottles and pressure cooked for an hour at 13psi.

So these were transfers from other plates I had growing. My process for making transfers is to set everything inside my SAB that i’ve wiped down with disinfectant. Wipe down my table, my scalpel handle, the dishes im transferring from with iso alcohol.

First i put a clean blade on my scalpel and flame sterilise until red hot, then open the receiving dish and press the blade into the edge to cool it, put the lid back on. Open the first plate and cut a small section. I find it easier to just press the blade in and then rotate rather than cut. Poke the wedge and lift out, put on the receiving dish and then set aside. Wipe down the scalpel with alc and then repeat.

Then I wrap in parafilm and store facing up for a day or so, then flip upside down.

For spore syringes its pretty much the same process except you squirt a few drops onto the agar. You sterilise the needle until red hot then squirt a few drops across the plate. Then isolate using transfer process.

You can also just scrape spores from a print directly onto the agar and it will grow out.

The pictures labelled S are originally from spore syringes where the ones labelled T are from a mushroom tissue sample.

3 Likes

Big harvest this morning from the first rye grain tub

The aftermath

Caps off for more spore prints -> syringes

Into the dehydrator

The special one in the second tub

11 Likes

Do you prefer spore syringes to liquid culture?
Looks great man!

1 Like