8k_feet's trying to ride the lightning - Ace Malawi x Panama

I found a seed I had missed in the paper towel with a huge tail.

We have liftoff! The bottom left dude is playing ostrich with its head in the sand but I see its cotelydons so I think it’s going to pop itself loose.

I think everyone even the buried plant have shot a root through the bottom of the rooter so they’re going into tiny coco pots tonight!

4 Likes

4 fired taproots out so they got new homes!

7 Likes

4 survivors looking alright. Other 2 couldn’t get their taproot into the rooter and corpsed.

4 Likes

I have grown these out, both indoors and outdoors, it was good indoors, and virtually indestructible outdoors, we had one of the worst summers for rain I have ever seen, 3 small storms all summer and they still managed to survive.
I posted some shots in the "what are you smoking today’ a while back. This strain is awesome, the ones I grew out had an incredible oily mango skin aroma and were very potent. It’s reasonably leggy and has sizeable buds so it can flop over if you don’t keep and eye on it.

I am in the process of crossing this over somango to see what I can get a shorter faster plant with that intense mango aroma. The F1 is reasonably homogenous, if you use it to breed some more it will get less so, for instance in the next generation I made, there was a lot more variation with some leaning more towards the Panama red, and others leaning more Malawi.

3 Likes

Thanks Slain!! Exactly what I wanted to hear.

I was worried a little about the bud to stem ratio so I’ll rig some lines and add some silica to my feedings to pump up the strength.

I’m hoping to get a male out of this batch so I can run some F2s or throw it on something that will do what you’re trying with shortening up the run and lankiness.

2 Likes

I found lower nitrogen levels helpful in keeping the stretch down, also if you have AC, driving the temp down below ambient by 10 degrees for 2 hours before lights on and an hour after does wonders to reduce stretch and leggy growth.

4 Likes

Day 16

The kids are happy and healthy after I went down to the keys for 10 days of vacation.

All thanks to @lefthandseeds for babysitting.

They’ve been chucking out nodes, at 3 now.

I’ve flipped them to 12/12 because I’m terrified of how tall these will get.

7 Likes

Day 20

I let them go without water a day longer than they probably should have, so they are drooping just a touch.

Per advice I’m doing two transplants this grow so they don’t have a huge shock trying to stretch into the big pots. We found these intermediary 3.5" pots that I dropped them into and watered at 1.2EC.

Root balls were looking good so I’m happy!

10 Likes

Day 23

Things are chugging right along, a bit of sag on two of the plants, might be under watering related, they got fed today.

They were both drooped pre-transplant and pretty dry so I think that’s the culprit. They should bounce back.

4 Likes

Day 25

I moved them to daily feedings and everyone pounded on a huge amount of growth just overnight, and perked up!

I also bumped the light up to 20k-21k. I’m also reading 72deg and 65%RH which I’m happy with.

Scale for size ref

@lefthandseeds and I also pounded out a shitton of dry ice hash yesterday!!

I got two 30g balls from around 3 24oz jars of flower, should last for a long time.

10 Likes

Day 27

Everybody except one are thriving. I bumped lights to 28k and gave em a feeding.

They’re probably ready to go into their final homes in 6" pots based on the roots pokin out of the bottom of the 4 inchers.

No sign of sex yet.

6 Likes

Day 32

Man @lefthandseeds idea to go to intermediary 3.5" pots with coco in veg and early flower is really paying off. Not nearly as much awkwardness as moving to the big 6" from tiny pots.

I’m really happy with where everything is at but I have at least 8 more weeks to go!!

Still no balls which is a bummer I’m really hoping for a male or two to pop up.

Hooked up auto feeding and made a huge batch of 1.5ec in the res.

7 Likes

Day 34

Well I wanted males… And I got balls on 3/4 plants! :triumph:

Would’ve liked one more female but whatever.

Moved them to 2x feedings at 1.4 because they are hongry!

10 Likes

I really like your setup. :thumbsup:

6 Likes

Thank you for the kind words, high praise coming from a fellow grower blasting out colas like you do!

2 Likes

Day 36

since I got 3 males and @lefthandseeds has too many females (shocker) I’m going to be plant trading to fill out my flower tent with some more ladies!

it’s a little early to judge but I got a really nice looking and super vigorous female and male combo - the king and queen. (male on left, female on right)

The whole gang has put on at least 3" since 2 days ago, they’re all really happy - I’m stoked because strangely the female is leading the charge! (2nd from left)

8 Likes

Man, they’re looking very healthy and happy. Gonna have a gang bang huh? oh, your going full swinger and trading some men for women… nice…

I need to come back a little less high tomorrow and think about this a little. I like that you’re getting your males showing before going to a larger pot. I may pick your brain in the next day or two.

I have males that I’m trying to manage and collect pollen, but I moved them into 6" pots and they grew big and tall and I have flowers everywhere. I’ve been trying to think of a better way to keep males around but be able to manage them more efficiently.

My eclectic mix of terps this run is going to all be seeded I’m pretty sure. I know an early plant or two are. I want to selectively hit the females with their matching male brothers for some f2s. I’ll mark the stems I hit to make sure I have what I think I have.

I’m gonna follow along, bro. I’m interested in this cross. I have afropip’s Malawi Gold and I have some old, “possibly old school” Panama Red seeds. I was gifted them as the young guy couldn’t get them to germ. I got the first one to sprout and it looked legit from the pics I’ve seen. Unfortunately, I lost it to PM and insects while I had to leave for work out of state.

But, I know they sprout, and it looked perfectly legit, so I’ll be trying again soon. And it would be fun to make that cross myself if you like it. Best vibes. peace

3 Likes

Sure must suck having @lefthandseeds as a friend.

5 Likes

We go back like 12 years now. We’ve had a lot of fun in the grow arena!

We’re about to do a massive pollen collection on his current male clusterfuck of a tent

10 Likes

Sounds good! I’m going to preserve the pollen from the best male and I’ll make f2 seeds which I’d be willing to send off.

4 Likes