A Basic Guide to Autoflowers

Well actually no but your also correct. All the seeds aka your F1’s will actual all be photoperiods “all of them”, its the subsequent cross of those f1’s to make f2’s is where you will see that roughly 25% being autos.

A lot of the “Fast” version photoperiods are just those F1 seeds or made up of those f2’s

6 Likes

I have just started growing auto’s while my photos are vegging it is the way to keep your room full and get the most out of the space I love them going to run 2 3 bears OG next

2 Likes

Ah … the recessive gene ( auto) kicking in at f2, makes sense… cheers for clearing that up @Mr.Sparkle. Happy growing
Gaz

7 Likes

Question, I’ve read conflicting information regarding this all over the net,

If you use CS to make femmed seeds, does the bud become “Unsmokable” and is only suitable for extracts?

1 Like

If you spray CS on a bud, it is no longer fit for consumption at all IMO. Concentrates do just that to the CS. Burning silver is toxic. Not worth it, just flower a small clone in a beer cup. You don’t need much pollen to make lots of seeds.

11 Likes

If you only spray one bud, is the whole plant shot? I think that’s my last question for this subject and i’ll be clear lol.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t risk it, personally. Its just one plant (sorry I said clone earlier I assume this is with autos). I kept the plant in a totally different room (under my bathroom sink) in a cut down 500ml soda bottle. It never got big, but made plenty of pollen. I fed it to my worms when I was done with it.

8 Likes

Good to know, thank you for the clarification :slight_smile:

Any reliable breeders making non fem autos? Mephisto?

Probably want to make your own seeds hey ;), so you don’t always have to buy. Reason why i make my own fem seeds.

But to the question Mitch “mephisto” hasn’t released any standard autos yet, he’s talked about it, and im definitely on that train when it comes along.

But honestly their are very few, Stitch from Flash Seeds has a bunch of regulars, he went through some issues with having others produce seeds for him and those seeds having germination and other issues as he didn’t have control over it, but that’s been sorted for a bit now.

Another option is some of the lines over at the auto flower portal they get decent reviews, and some such as the dragons were bred by a fellow “Stone” using some of mossy’s gems which a lot of people liked shes a member over on AFN “autoflowernetwork” im over there as well, just haven’t posted in a awhile since moving here to OG

But if looking for regular auto’s those would be the two places where i would start. I haven’t tried any of Stitch’s or the AutoflowerPortal seeds yet so i can’t really comment on them, but i will get some of both eventually to try out.

Other than that its going to personal growers with their own auto lines or crosses they have done.

5 Likes

I got a regular Lowryder2 mix from Seedsman about a year ago. Made a TON of F1s most came out male, except the Lowryder x La Diva. Want some?

5 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but could the ruderalis be more sensitive to intense light? I think i am seeing the first signs of light stress and my regular plants are closer and loving it. I have no experience with these so am guessing. Don’t they come from cold areas and jungle with lower light levels?

1 Like

High light levels in nature occur whether because of higher altitudes and or longer daylight duration’s. So high or low latitude area’s in summer typically have significantly greater light levels than places closer to the equator.

But saying that could ruderalis be more sensitive to light i don’t know. But i would probably attribute it more to genetics in how it was bred than just being an auto, something else could also be at play too.

3 Likes

Interesting, thank you for the quick reply. It is probably breeding but if i read different i will reply here if you are interested. :grin:

2 Likes

So in 2018, what is your pick for best autoflower for the 2018 season?

All year is a season to me, but i will stand by my previous statement that anything from sweet seeds, or Mephisto would be good. Playing with a FastBuds plant right now that looks promising, so i’ll have to order some other of their genetics, but they aren’t accurate with their names.

4 Likes

Thanks man!

so the name isnt a good basis for what to expect? lol

Its more that they have been know to use names that aren’t true to the genetics such as “Girl Scout Cookies” that may not actually have those genetics in them just so they can jump on the hype train.

I have seen them being called out on that, but plant wise their genetics are well liked and grow very nice plants from what i’ve seen, but i haven’t run any of them in the past because of that issue as i like honest companies, that and they had some “questionable” marketing add’s out there that were a bit bad taste especially at what they were implying.

That aside coincidentally im growing one of their GSC right now as i got one as a freebie, and i will say its turning out to be a very nice plant. So much so i’ll be grabbing some of their other genetics to try out even with the issues above.

1 Like

Here is that GSC the photo doesn’t do it justice but it’s gonna finish out nicely.
Currently its at day 49 from sprout and grown in a 500ml fabric pot just for reference.

16 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle, those are some gorgeous little girls you got there. :kissing_heart: They look like the top of the main stalk on everyone of my plants. You got the proverbial muffin tops. You made the muffin with only the good part. What kind of harvests does each of these tiny beauties give you on average? What is the actual size of each plant?

2 Likes