A Basic Guide to Autoflowers

Was wondering if anyone has LST on an auto and if so were you successful, will be running 2/3 autos outdoors and want to keep them low profile by just bending the apical growth tip over ! Questions, comments , concerns needed plZ!

2 Likes

Hey @Tinytuttle mt, Yeah I’ve topped , fim’d and trained auto’s a lot and they have responded very well…! Wait till they’re a decent size- hopefully within 3/4 weeks and fim ( if fem) , try or even just train them - tuck leaves, encouraging side shoots to grow out bigger etc… ( i must say I’ve only been growing Mephisto’s auto’s and training em)…
Give it a try, keep feeding grow nutes a good bit into flowering, fortune favours the bold lol…
Good luck and happy growing
Gaz

Ps. Bending the Apical grow tip ( main stem) will work well too, but let them grow a bit 1st and bend the stem…
What strains you growing - auto’s.?

1 Like

@Gaz29 I believe I have two WW auto fem and maybe a blue amnesia

2 Likes

Do you know the breeder.?
Anyway auto’s do well outdoors, they’ll get lots bigger than indoors ,are they in containers outdoors or the ground.? If looked after and trained , they can yield well , the blue amnesia will probably be big.
Good luck with them.
Happy growing
Gaz

3 Likes

They’ll be in containers and soil out doors I’m a little worried about the transplant thing though I’v heard they don’t like that type of thing one will be in a soulless mix with the capability of getting its roots into soil through a raised bed

2 Likes

How much does it affect the size of an auto if it’s outdoors in a container. I would think the size of the countainer would play a role also. But say 3 or 5 gallon? Would they get root bound?

2 Likes

If it’s possible to stick plants in the ground then the plants could get quite large and bushy etc but failing that, then 2/5 gallon containers would still be sufficient for a good crop… i don’t think they’d get rootbound before they finish… hope this helps…

The one with the capability to get the roots thru a raised bed into soil will probably grow biggest - maybe stick your amnesia in that one.? I start auto’s in small pots and up-pot when it’s a couple of weeks old or big enough and I haven’t noticed any problems, but as long as you transplant carefully and early, they’ll grow just fine …
Hope this helps too…

Happy growing guys
Gaz

5 Likes

Thanks @Gaz29. Appreciate the help. I’m going to put some straight into the ground in a good hole. Was just curious.

2 Likes

Maybe try injecting some James Brown or something, cant have a soulless mix bro she might finish early and leave you frustrated :grin:
A blue Amnesia xxl at 9 weeks from start, grown by my significant other and soon for the chop.

8 Likes

Looking good! How’s the smoke on that one?

1 Like

Cheers i’ll pass that on :thumbsup: It smokes quite well, has a little of that residual tarry taste from the ruderalis that autos usually have but not bad at all, quite sweet actually but she aint got one yet to taste of berry. It’s potent that’s for sure and can yield well given plenty of light. That’s the third time she’s grown it now and she recently had me order more of those beans so yeh it’s decent.

2 Likes

@Tinytuttle yeah you can lst to keep them under control. They behave no different than photo periods, its only that we have a running count down timer. So if you need to tie down things half way through their cycle then you just do it.

Our plants are resilient so long as they are healthy they wont even notice and will just push energy to where is needed to be most efficient.

@dank-a-saurus no different than a photo period, your pot size dictates how big your plant is, bigger pot bigger plant. As for root bound sure but that’s not a bad thing as really its all in how big you want to grow your plant. If going for max yield sure the bigger the better also going for longer flowering variety’s increase yield, because the longer they get to flower the more they will get to produce so long as they have unlimited media capacity for their roots.

@Cobra50 my little plants average around 12-14g+ per 5-600ml of soil volume (1/2oz per 1/2qt for the Americans :wink: )

14 Likes

Thank you very much @Mr.Sparkle

1 Like

@Mr.Sparkle, that is VERY impressive. Those little beauties must be all flower. How tall do they tend to get on average?

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Need to know how much light to run autos on

Should comment that i have now hit have hit around the 15g per 150ml range now

7 Likes

I’ve been hearing about these “Super Autos” for years and haven’t seen any or been able to find any online; “super auto marijuana seeds” isn’t a very good set of search terms, unfortunately. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Is there a list somewhere or a breeder that specializes in them?

All the genes in an “R1” would be the exact same as an “F1”, so it’s still an F1, as much as any multi-polyhybrid is. I usually mark mine F1-fem or F1-reg for my notes.

5 Likes

heres a brooklyn sunrise and a blue dream auto in a 1.5 gal container under 10 leds with lenses cut off…gonna chop in 2 werks or less

9 Likes

Hi,

Auto flower seeds are usually listed as ‘indoor and outdoor’.
When I look info on strains I usually see only one ‘height’ listed. many 1.0m tall, some 1.4m (nearly 5 ft) tall. Should I assume this is outdoor height or indoor height ?!?

As I understand … pot size and lights play a major role in AF size

I guess I am correct in assuming that IF the listed height IS indoor height … that would be the upper end of size? Meaning large pot and plenty of light.

I have a spot for autos but height is an issue … with pots (~30cm 1ft) and lights and gap between plant and light ( ~30cm 1ft)… 1.00m or 3 1/3 ft should be available without tricks … As there are many autos that LIST their potential size as over 1.00m … (so total of 1.6m or 5 1/3 ft to be used for this)
Should I ..
A) assume that plant grown indoor are bound to be smaller and ~1.00m or 3 1/3 ft should work fine?
B) accept that some plants might grow too big and plan to limit the size (and yield) by using bit smaller pots to limit plant size (or alternatively use lights that promote less stretch if such light solution can be found).
C) play it safe and try to work out how to increase the available grow area to accommodate bigger plants (No free lunch on this department… allocating more space will ‘cost’ in other ways/ in other areas.

Thanks for reading and taking time to advice! Ciao!

2 Likes

You can keep autos short by using small pots. They tend to stop vertical growth once they hit the pot. That’s one of the reasons it is suggested to plant in the final container.

This thread is a great example of growing autos in small spaces:

9 Likes