A Basic Guide to Autoflowers

That’s a big space

1 Like

Consider that barring other factors longer time span autos would be able to take advantage of more root space say >5gal, though say a 9-10 weeker should be able to use say 3gals maybe more if it’s happy

3 Likes

Right? I’m intimidated a bit, but I have a buddy that needs help.

That’s enough to make a man cowboy up where I come from.

I was just hoping somebody would have some ideas to help make it feasible. I thought about grabbing a 50 lb sack of bio live, and scratching it into the tops, and hydrating them with some diluted compost tea to get the life started again, the pots are all dried out.

I dunno, I just need some OG auto ideas to bring this place to life.

Edit: I’d love a truckload of ewc :rofl:

3 Likes

I would think early, I may want some of the larger variety. Colder weather will surely slow the growth some.

2 Likes

Proabbly bang out a shit load of auto plants if the weather was right

My mate grows out door autos in Ireland
Get some rolls of heavy duty plastic tent that off big ass green house

2 Likes

Hey, if you could get me a little advice, it would be hugely appreciated man. I’m freaking drowning here! :joy:

We will probably have it all made into oil. The kind made with alcohol I believe, or prerolls if it’s good enough.

1 Like

With space like that, you’re going to have to go by the square footage type of planning, like distance from hole to hole for planting. That would be determined by the final size of the plants though, as bigger/wider plants need to be spaced further apart or you just do lots of training/pruning. I would look at the growing guidelines for tomatoes and peppers as much as cannabis bro science.
If the soil is dry/depleted, it could be revitalized easy enough. Check local waste management/tree removal services for cheap/free compost/mulch!

1 Like

I wasnt sold on autos right away either. My dispensary had feminized seed and i didn’t pay attention to their being autofem, at $25 a pack of 6 I figured why the hell not give them ago.

I’m impressed. The first month was slow going, they grew about 1 1/2 ft, then the 2nd month they shot right up to almost 6’. I think i am impressed by the yeild, i vegged at 24/0 but a few weeks into flowering i lowered it to 20/4. Ph at 5.8 and ppm at 1500. Used gh, but also used microbial mass and overdrive (overdrive was late, next run i’ll do it a few weeks earlier).

I have to admit after this run there will always be a place for autos in my garden. Every summer in september the rain comes along and turns everything into bud rot, so using autos i can harvest in june, july and august and avoid mucking about outdoors when it starts to rain.

Last year i was helping my buddy grow photoperiods but they rotted. I tried to build a growbox to move them into to finish but missed the time window and figured that dirt isn’t reslly good anyways just contributes to problems, so the space wound up being run with a dwc system (which he was hesitant to do because of the water in there, leak potential).

Thanks to autos this year is going to be completely different outcome.

2 Likes

Shang Los has some interesting stuff on his podcasts at Shaping fire. Maybe you can get a glimpse of things being done with autos.

Most people think autos are crap because initially the :100: ruderalis aka autos had grass/hay they lack the exciting terpenes and aromas like indica or sativa strains.

Then the fact that most growers don’t know its origins and that its roots are what trigger the flowering process doesnt help. C.ruderalis has roots that contain a hormone that is released once its root system can no longer develop or if it it finds obstacles like rocks or too hard of a soil.
One must go and understand why this happens. Originally found in certain parts of Eastern Europe, Central Asia and Russia (Siberia) this variety of Cannabis had to survive in harsh environments, in some places it has to overcome near freezing soil and permafrost that is barely thawed at the surface. The plants developed the mentioned above mechanism that triggers the flowering (light schedules is crazy at times… never ending days in summer and never ending nights in winter) so rather than depend on light they depend on the soil/growing medium to “let them know” when its time to stop growing and concentrate their efforts in flowering.

So if you have a good root system to promote big growth one needs to provide an adequate growing medium.

You can get big auto plants.

Hope this helps

Peace

2 Likes

That does help. Maybe the large pots and beds will work great for them. I’ll look for some of the larger varieties. Thanks

1 Like

cool glad it could be usefull

1 Like

Badger the concern with huge pots/grow area is how much of the plant will devote its energy to producing roots versus foliage and buds. The plants have a finite time to grow and produce buds, so understanding will put you in the right direction for a successful venture. Choosing the right strain is equally important. Pardon my ramblings if you already know this. :v:

3 Likes

No buddy, any advice is welcome. I don’t know a bunch about autos for sure. What is the ideal sized pot?

1 Like

For me, I have found the 3 gallon pot to be the right size indoors and outdoors. It produces a nice size plant and yield.

2 Likes

Here is a short article that may answer some of your questions, Best Pot Size for Autoflowering Seeds | Fast Buds it also addresses planting in beds too.

6 Likes

You’re a good man, thanks!!

2 Likes

Put em 102 liter homedepot tough totes…

4 Likes

Question. If I put my autoflower plants in week 1 of veg outside early (12 hrs of light or less) in a heated greenhouse, will they flower early? Or will they continue to veg until they would normally flower? (Approx 4 weeks for this strain)

1 Like

Anyone run any chef Anna autos?

Am looking at their selection and pricing and liking the fact that they have reg autos too…

Autos have an internal clock persay, saying that they wont really speed up or flower early unless they are truly hampered in some what such as drought or bad mishaps, in your case if anything due to the reduction in light hours they will take a bit longer to finish vs say indoors.

3 Likes