A Different Bug. Black Aphid

Just about the time I thought I have all the bases covered, along come the curve ball. I have delt with spider mites, aphids and whitefies, fungus gnat and other nasties all without using anything stronger than spinosid and rarely neem but I have recently got a bug that I’m not familiar with and am struggling to eradicate. It first showed up last year outside on some Okra plants, kinda freaked me out but it was just Okra and only one or two.

Fast forward around September I begain to see some white flecks on my indoor Cannabis plants. I can’t begain to tell you guys how heartbreaking it is to compost entire crops. In a matter of three days, this bug can populate an entire plant and cover it in sooty whatever and skins.
I control them now with 10% isopropyl spray and wipe the underside of the leaves with fair results but overnight they repopulate at a slowed rate.
I asked a member here for advice, very helpful guy, he suggested I post up here so it mite(he he) be of help to others.
The Okra plants above are extremely bad. Heres pot pics populated with Black Aphids…
First is the dander they leave as they first show…

this is the skin as they are molding into adults I guess. heres adults…

I hope this helps other peeps here and I thank The guy that helped me I.D. this bug.
Happy growing, p

8 Likes

Howdy pal,

An app that may be helpful in the future is iNaturalist. You photograph the organism you see and then upload it. Their AI then gives you choices of what it believes it is, and you make your best guess selection. After that, expert identifiers will typically verify or correct the selection you made. You can also tag the top identifiers of your organism to check your post out. It’s been extremely useful for me, as any insect I see I identify.

3 Likes

Here’s this if you haven’t seen it. Where roughly are you located?

3 Likes

South Central Taxes lol

1 Like

i know what its like im still battling my fuckers i can only minimize their damage so far
i really wanna try jps one and done

1 Like

Funny not funny. I saw them for the first time last summer. Pretty confusing them being black, but Lens helped me out.

I’ve never released ladybugs indoors before, but I’d think that once they get established, they’ll wipe out the aphid army to the last man.

2 Likes

I’ve found those same black aphids here in Alaska as well…had never seen them up until that point.

2 Likes

Maybe get some green lacewing larvae (aka Aphid Lions).

3 Likes

if you do let me know how it turns out

I have some plants outside so if I bring them in with aphids like last year, I will.

BTW black aphids are the worst kind. https://www.planetnatural.com/black-aphids/

1 Like