A Revolution in Drying

When you live in an extreme environment you do what you gotta do:

I feel like one of those tube worms that live only in water heated by a magmatic ocean vent…

9 Likes

From what I’ve gathered over the years is that
66% and up is the mold zone
65% - 56% is the cure zone
55% and down is the flash zone
And I base this entirely on bro science :sunglasses:

10 Likes

I have noticed too with things I have over dried too quickly, you can bring them back a bit but it usually has negative impact on texture even if you retain aroma. The buds don’t like to break up as nicely, and generally will smoke more harshly.

I have also noticed that if given a good slow dry and cure, that even if it gets dryer than ideal it holds up well.

I would love to know more of the science behind the dry and cure, but every time I look I don’t really exactly find what I’m looking for.

In terms of exact numbers I have no idea, but I do know that biological activity continues inside the plant tissue after it is removed from the roots, and that below a certain level of moisture that activity halts, and even if you bump that moisture level back up that same activity will not resume. Some biological activity will, but not all the same activity.

14 Likes

Under normal circumstances I’d dry at 60% for 7-10 days and it’s perfect perfect.

But I figured my error might lead to an interesting new workflow. Not going to change my methods even if this is a resounding success. Just neat is all.

4 Likes

I did the same. I chopped my last auto and went on a cruise. Two weeks later, very very dry.

3 Likes

U don’t think super drying will botch the curing process? :thinking:

3 Likes

My suspicion is it will be fine but we will know for sure in a few weeks :+1:

6 Likes

Okay bro I’m here for it. I’m curious to see how that turns out for u…cause I’ve done this before (back in my rookie phase) and when I rehydrated and cured the bud the smoke wasn’t really good…I could still taste the chlorophyll in it. So my hypothesis is that super dying could possibly “perma-lock” a good majority of the chlorophyll in the plant matter…permanently…its like trying to breakdown dried cement with water, it’s gonna take forever.

3 Likes

Yeah wen your drying that fast the outside will dry at a different rate. This is why when your jarring the inside including inside the stems that haven’t dried evenly will spread the moisture back out an raise the humidity in the jar back out. The whole point of taking time to dry an under the right humidity is so that the bud dries evenly an the cannabinoids get a chance to activate an change to what we recognize as peak potency an time for the clorofil to breakdown an full scents to come out. People have been doing this since the start of indoor growing an there is atried an tested formula to get the best quality, peak activated potency and scents an full taste.

7 Likes

@Foreigner , itl probably still come out ok at a 4-5 day dry. Ive done it myself before. When you wrap it up an now an then open it it will continue to keep evenin out an curing awell. Just it could have been abit better by taking a bit longer. I used to slow the drying of mine down an keep humidity good by just hanging the whole plant as it is with no trim. Around the flowers this keeps conditions good.
Im sure many street growers growing for sale in the old days probably dried in about 5 days an usualy put it out with no cure. An i never used to see too many ppl complaining.

5 Likes

Yes, what is acceptable depends on how desperate/where you are.

I don’t imagine most of the weed I smoked in my youth was cured ever and I’m unlikely to lodge a complaint based on +/- 5% of drying.

We are nerds who demand a certain degree of precision but your average smoker wouldn’t know the difference. Or even care.

9 Likes

I had a few cok ups a long time ago though. We cut down some plants, wet trimmed them an then my mate put them in a small room to dry. He called me about 3 days later an said they were done which had more than puzzled but he insisted i see. I went round an all of it was bone bone dry very dark an looked an smelled like hay. An then he told me he had put a small blow fan heater in the small room. Smoked quite bad too. Got slightly better after being wrapped up a week as it got slightly stickyish again an had a faint scent to it but still smoked like crap. But you could call it “how not to dry your crop, a lesson learned”. Still had one or two other cok ups after that but that’s another story.

1 Like

Chemistry isn’t exclusively biologic but if you believe in evolution you can learn chemistry. Probably why it’s not very popular in the states. Jesus says no science, or else.

The science of the dry/cure is the science of break down and recombination. Oxidation and polymerization. Hydrolysis is the water factor, the component of curing that stops when bud dries out. Exposure to heat, metals, oxygen or light can continue chemical reactions for years after the bud is dry. Cannabis gets more acidic with age. Unless it doesn’t. Depends on the chemicals it has in it. It doesn’t take weeks or months to build up or destroy stinky oils. Chemical reactions can happen instantaneously. Like vinegar and baking soda.

Curing pathway in a floral varietal.

The desirable aromas of this varietal lie in the malonyl-coa pathway. The hay aroma is also in this chain, and many generic aromas that may arise given opportunity (availability of chemicals, ph of cells, presence of enzymes and dna [in]activation ).

Chemistry requires chemicals. That’s all plants are, chemical reactions. Noble Skunk for example requires cleavage of the isopentyl side chain of a-linolenic acid. The markers for a-linolenic production don’t make any skunk, let alone Noble Skunk. Biotin, cysteine, methionine, and 350-500nm are needed for Noble Skunk to be Noble Skunk. If you don’t provide this, you won’t be licensed to grow Noble Skunk. If your alpha linolenic acid is tied up in a calcium soap, you got Urinal Cake, not Noble Skunk. Baby Shit at best. The breeder of Noble Skunk won’t let you grow that Urinal Cake OR Baby Shit as Noble Skunk. He spent lots of money identifying what makes Noble Skunk Noble Skunk. Chemistry matters. Seems most wanna pass half assed weed off as something it’s not these days. Not going to happen under fed legalization. Counterfeit weeders will be punished just like other counterfeiters. Dole would not accept a banana grown from seed with general hydroponics flora nectar, like the green rush industry currently does. Look at the price of banana compared to hash. That’s probably why misdirection is so strong, culturally, in Cannabis. Companies go out of business spending r&d on monoterpenes, which makes no sense, then recoup by selling the same narrative alongside special curing bags, terpene blends and terp fridges?

I still don’t know if people are too lazy or if they’ve had their head tied in a knot. I’d publish a book on the chemistry of 20th century cannabis, the de-evolution of the plant in the hands of the west, but all anyone wants is a adhesive patch for their 420 vest and an easy bake oven recipe for financial success. Or to claim pastry paraffin cookie crumbs is a good skunk flavor. The weed has been cleaved from 420 culture. It’s weird, the packaging is worth more than the contents 'round these parts. Botanicare never put a Sweet Skunk in their sweeter lineup. What does that tell everyone? Commercialization predated legalization… Baby Shit was the turning point. Calcium soaps… Now it’s all baby and no shit and people are nostalgic for shitty mids.

4 Likes

There is something very familiar about this :point_up_2:
Hmmmm :thinking: it couldn’t be…

7 Likes

I do realize there are several chemical reactions and conversions at play.

I honestly would like to here more specifically about how all these work together to get the most desirable end result. Practical application of environment to steer said reactions, how and why they are being by steered that way, and why sometimes you might want to steer them a different way (cobs, etc?).

I’m here listening, but I’ve seen many posts similar that start with what seem like Nuggets of knowledge wrapped in snark, and degrade into angry scattered ramblings of how everyone are idiots.

Yet, I’m still listening. And asking, if you have this information, and able to explain a little further in detail the points I mentioned could you please do so? No need to dumb it down, but make it some what approachable.

Or point one in the direction of good resources for this information?

If not I’ll assume the best way to cure is in a high boron environment…….

10 Likes

I didn’t want to say boron… but yeah I think that’s the key :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

Mine is an iron on. It dries faster at 30%.

Also boron is an excellent desiccant.

7 Likes

Id love to see how these scientists pull up rks . Some of that post would make sense if most people were doing things almost the same but what we have is things like the same cutting being grown many different ways, under many different conditions an feed combinations an doses leading to different looking plants an finished products. An done over many years so people are bound to over time fine tune things to get to the best possible. Granted in some areas such as breeding too many take short cuts an do it the quickest way.

2 Likes

Hmmm this sounds about as revolutionary as plastering che’s face all over a bunch of sweatshop hoodies and selling em for $99.99

Sorry bro, slow and low that’s the tempo, lol.

3 Likes

That was a marketing revolution. I even owned one. I was as original as everyone else.

I dunno man. I’ve overdried before and boveda saved the day and no complaints about shitty curing or no terps or bad burning or whatever.

We will see. And it will not be televised.

7 Likes