A Revolution in Drying

That will always be the dream.

In my case the four-day dry was performed out of necessity, and I accidentally got a great cure. I wouldn’t bank on the technique working every time based off of one good run but it’s great to hear others sharing similar success.

Always nice to know you’ve got options when you just can’t make things work.

It’s either one or the other.

2 Likes

A while back, I had a bunch of various plants drying in brown paper bags, then into jars for curing.
Well I had so many bags, that one of the bags got overlooked and left hanging for WEEKS in very dry (28%RH) winter conditions.

I finally found it many weeks later. The bud almost turned to dust when you touched it, it was so dry.

Just for kicks I threw it into a jar with a big boveda 62 packet.

After a week, it was rehydrated and the bud was not negatively impacted at all. In fact, the smells were better than the other jars of the same strain.

The only difference with this was… it probably did dry slowly for the first 5-7 days, but then it just kept drying.

So. Maybe this rapid dry/rehydrate method will be great.

6 Likes

Cheers to looking on the bright side :fire:

Viva la reve… ah never mind :dash:

2 Likes

I love that song and they play it on the station I listen to alot.

2 Likes

I think there are two sides to Gil Scott Heron. The militant young side and the regretful old man side. They are equally good.

4 Likes

Still holding steady:

On another note this jar was dried and cured the “proper” way. It is almost a year old now. Happy birthday!

Straight into the jar at 60% no burping, it’s only been opened a handful of times to get some out.

It’s the OGer from the seed run.

Hope everyone is getting some sun today.

8 Likes

I’m with you. I’d like your thoughts on LABS / milk kefir culture used as either a foliar or just to water in, to provide the gamut of B vits, aminos you listed as well as some of the more complex compounds that this gentleman is contemplating:

4 Likes

FYI - plant weight will loose 70% of weight after drying _Nice plants - do anything special to get those results ?

1 Like

Thanks.

No nothing really special or different. The biggest difference is that I grew them way bigger than I should have so got some bleaching and had to cut some branches off mid flower.

But a pretty straightforward grow cycle. Nothing major.

2 Likes

Update -

So it’s been 9 days in jars holding at 55%

The smells are definitely maturing. Subtle, but it smells like it should at this stage.

Jury not out yet. I figure I’ll try it in a week and we should have a pretty good idea of where we’re at.

Cheers for waiting.

6 Likes

Forgot to reply to this thread awhile ago. I was trimming all my plants in a rush and my back was fucked from bad posture and the weed was starting to dry out (but not too dry). I was worried I wasn’t gonna get to it in time so I put the humidifier in the room where the plants are hanging and set it to 70% for 5-10 hours and then back down to 65. It worked to rehydrate the nugs enough for them to not turn into crap and it has let me trim at a super slow pace now.

I actually haven’t trimmed much in almost 2 weeks now I’ve just been a lazy ass I really need to get back to it. :joy: Trimmed for 50+ hours the first week hating it now I’m going too slow gotta meet somewhere in the middle.

Weed is still fine doesn’t seem to have lost any smell at all and I have periodically been smoking some pinners of some quick trimmed stuff and it tastes fine/burns fine to me.

4 Likes

I used to do the same you know rh 50+ keep them moist for a while and burp n shit so it basically gets pungent…then i read what someone posted on thc farmer basically saying the faster u can evenly dry in cooler temps the less aromatic phenols you lose and less oxidation becuase of sitting in open air. Basically that’s how commercial does it with freeze vac dry.
Anywho i dried this in fall cracked window for cool dry airflow, 4 days outside gets crispy easily brush it off, jar with boveda to brim(less air) it will rehydrate and no burping just close it.
I finally got to taste and smell top shelf and if u keepem cured in cool place it wont smell much until u break it open and ure sesh buddy regrets talking shit.
Anywho imo came out much better than letting it ferment and degrade in stank air.

1 Like

iirc chlorophyll, cellulose, etc. get broken down microbially by fermentation

Cellulose takes a long time to decompose, you could put away a joint and find it twenty years later and it will still be full of weed. I know a little of hemicellulose decomposing in wood and do not think it is something that happens with weed. The chlorophyll, I have not sound something pointing to it as what makes weed turn into good weed yet. I would love to see someone identify what goes on.

3 Likes

that’s very interesting, but I have a few more tidbits that might interest you…

cellulose might take a long time to degrade under the conditions present in a dry joint, but if my googling is accurate it takes maybe 2 weeks(?) for it to happen in the stomach of a ruminant. Very different environments for sure, and the cow has all its own enzymes and gut microbes to help speed that process along, but curing is typically a 3-6 month process, there’s plenty time for some kind of action to happen. Especially for cob curing, which is a lot like the environment of a ruminant’s stomach(s). Food for thought.

for chlorophyll, tobacco growers seem to take it as an established fact, and I don’t see any articles trying to debunk it. The wiki article on tobacco curing states chlorophyll reduction is the main aim of curing, AKA color curing because before they had a name for chlorophyll, they were managing its degradation to make their leaves more yellow. A secondary aim is the degradation, oxidation etc. of carotenoids producing new flavors and aromas, which we all recognize from our experience in burping. I suppose I wouldn’t be able to hit a joint and say “oh yeah, you got way too much chlorophyll here buddy” but all I know is cob curing can turn green weed brown in a single night, and the smoke gets much, much smoother in that same time. Food for thought

How many people cob cure? Take a look at a nice looking bud, is it nice and fresh green looking or the color of dead leaves. The green color is chlorophyll. Go up the page, I have links to papers on tobacco curing, more toward the beginning as that was my starting point. I my last night’s smoke was more mellow than normal. But we have been drenched here lately. I don’t buy the chlorophyll as no chemical process of it being degraded has been shown. Bro science does not mean much to me.

My year old jars have a very low chlorophyll count. They start to brown a bit.

Age before beauty.

I finally got to removing the bud from a plant from my last grow that I cut down months ago. There is some browning of the leaves, the rest that is heavily frosted. (hit two keys with one finger and right clicked spellcheck, gave me the option of sugared heavily or heavenly, I debated for a few seconds) I find the thing that effects the smoke the most is the amount of moisture in the bud.

1 Like

More than a few :wink: Yeah I know most bud is green these days, and I like it plenty fine. But then you hear oldschoolers reminiscing about the weed they can’t find anymore, weed they swear was better than anything today…punto rojo, columbian red, acapulco gold, malawi gold…but then some say thai stick was the best and the first green weed they ever saw :rofl: Who knows…but hey, you asked about chlorophyll degradation so I answered; tobacco growers and researches say it’s a rapid, early part of their curing process (under the conditions they consider ideal) and consider it so fundamental they repeat it while barely elaborating on it, old legendary weed sounds like it was a part of their process, and with cob curing it just can’t be questioned. Ask anyone who’s smoked green hash oil or brown cob, chlorophyll matters. Not enough to make good bud bad, but plenty enough to make good oil bad. The question remains, does removing it make good weed better? Some seem to think so :eyes:

but to avoid blabbering on about one single point, here’s some more bro science to tickle your fancy - I find it amazing how many of the observations and questions we’re asking today were discussed empirically over a hundred years ago

Asparagine Synthesis during Tobacco Leaf Curing

Cigar Tobaccos. Chemical Changes, that Occur during Curing

Curing and Fermentation of Cigar Leaf Tobacco

Research Studies on the Curing of Leaf Tobacco

2 Likes

Tobacco curing, go up and see the papers I found. Also the tobacco curing is done at elevated temperatures, something a reputable weed purveyor would never do.

1 Like