A Shadey spot to grow, Perpetual organic no till

That’s basically what’s happening, plants are getting treated in veg and first 2 weeks of flowering, then when I stop, they start to appear. That’s why I got the predator mites to keep destroying them when I stopped spraying in flower.

4 Likes

I now have removed all cover crops, to stop them hiding there.

3 Likes

Spreading bacteria etc from an environment not your own. Who can say what they bring? Wilt? Fungus? PM? Mold? if you are actually getting lady beetles and not lady bugs…who says they are not infected?

7 Likes

That makes perfect sense. You are giving a welcome mat to something from another “grow”. Never thought of that. Great point.

When I worked at the greenhouse aphids got a foothold in the clover that was being used as a cover crop/ clay buster. The plants were being sprayed, but not well enough to coat the clover. It all had inherent risks I suppose.

You will beat this one way or another my friend.

4 Likes

@Shadey there is a product called tanglefoot(?) (sticky stuff) you rub on the stems I thought to try other than that. Cleaning the area, sealing openings in the cabinet tent. Increase the frequency of the ipm in veg and taking a break from flowering for a bit is my plan of attack.

3 Likes

That was actually my initial thought, they are living in your bin and you’re mixing em in.

Might have to reset your bin too.

I also remember you talking about your inability to avoid cross contamination and bringing stuff in on clothes, pets, etc… perhaps that played a role in the spread?

I am very diligent with that stuff I wont even enter my basement after walking through grass or being outside for extended periods. I’ll shower and change clothes first. Separate shoes/slippers and hat for basement only. I usually wont even allow both of my tents to be open at the same time. No visitors are allowed unless I know they showered and are dressed in fresh clothes. Houseplants go through extensive inspection and quarantine before coming through my door. The list goes on and on and is full of extremes like that.

You gotta be this way so when you do get these issues it’s easier to pinpoint the vector in which they were introduced, and can at least prevent additive issues.

Good example was when you came to visit that day with the blumats. All that stuff was quarantined, I had a shower and changed my clothes, and still didnt enter my basement for some time after. And that was before I knew you had the borg haha. Call it extreme (I’ve lost friends because of it) but it’s what we gotta do to keep things problem free.

10 Likes

One thing I thought of was the filter sock on the charcoal filter. I have an extra and have taken to changing it out and washing it every other week or so.

4 Likes

My filter is outside the tent but I change the filters I use on the intake regularly and sprayed them every time I sprayed anything.

Could be, the veg tent is in the room next to the back door and the dogs in and out 4-5 times a day, plus me going to the workshop. There is no where else I can use other than that space.

I will try and make some of this JWA and give it try, until I shut down for going to Kelowna.

5 Likes

Yeah I hear ya, I had to basically tear my basement apart before I had a spot that was completely out of the way of day-to-day traffic. Can only do so much though. Perhaps set up a clean room with some vapour barrier to at least keep everything behind a second barrier.

3 Likes

I have My woman trained on this. We call it decontamination protocol and it basically means all clothes get left at the front door

7 Likes

You…freaking…legend!

6 Likes

Yes, JWA, Making some next week.
Have Dr. Bronners here ,but always thought it was called Bonners? Two different brands? West coast Bonners , East coast Bronners? anyway , I used 2% in clean h2O an soak ever sq inch on veg plants to murderrize them 2spots, plants get a little stressed but it did the business quite well, plants bounce back pretty quick. Also flushed with strait H2O after soap soak. I got cats in and out ,so ya.

5 Likes

I have a legit huge smile on my face. I say it’s time for foreigner to earn his title and prove that! :joy:

For real though Trevor, if they cant understand that, they aren’t real friends. I would call all that common sense precautions. It only takes 1 mite to lay eggs and start the cycle. This is what we really need to avoid. I will be much more serious once I can knock out my issue, and more so yet when I can get a real grow area.

3 Likes

If you’re gonna go with the Jadam make sure you practice good safety procedures as I’ve heard of people getting seriously sick making this stuff in unventilated areas.

I’ve no experience with it but have done some research on it and it looks to be an amazing surfactant, if that’s what you’re after.

4 Likes

It’s the same ingredients as safers soap. It smothers. Tinytuttle even killed grasshoppers with it last summer.

The initial reaction will get hot. Relevant eye, clothing, and hand lab ppe should be used.

The fumes don’t smell great for sure. I don’t breathe them directly out of an abundance of caution, and use a large, well ventilated area with good air movement.

4 Likes

(Potassium Hydroxide) serious stuff ,take safe measures, for real.

4 Likes

I will mention that my friend who has a commercial grow has been using it on russet mites. He concludes it is working better than the commercial stuff that sells for 150 a gallon and up on his plants that are in flower, surfactant or not. He had added Peppermint and lemongrass oils also.

Edit: My tone sounds a bit antagonistic, I assure you it was not meant that way. I would just like a friendly discussion.

6 Likes

Oh for sure no debating its effectiveness when you understand the science behind it.

4 Likes

Yes mint oils in my mix as well

Edit
Sorry had tech difficulties on top of sleep deprivation.
Mint, citrus, etc. more for dog and cats and humans, but have used it in the garden as well with no ill effects. Dr. Bronners has several variations tea tree, lavender. Mints are good deterrent on their own.

6 Likes

I probably didn’t read it right lol.

5 Likes