AC Infinity Cloudray S6 Gen 2 (clip fan)

So a few weeks ago, I had water drip on the UIS port of one of my AC Infinity clip fans and shorted it out, and so I pre-ordered a replacement from AC Infinity. Got the shipping notification about a week and a half ago, then I saw them announce the gen 2s were available. Went back to the website & sure enough, they have the gen 2 for pre-order with a ship date in 4-6 weeks or whatever.

Fast forward to today and I found I received one of the gen 2 fans so thought I’d share some of the differences and my thoughts.

First off, there were a couple tidbits of info that I found in the FAQs in the included manual. The best one is that the fans are now supported to run 24/7 due to the new stepper motor. The other I’ll talk about after noting the difference in fan appearance/connection.

The UIS, fan speed, and oscillation control buttons have been moved off the back of the fan to a box shaped section where the clip pivot arm connects to the fan.

The UIS connector is situated deeper into the fan and is default covered with a silicon plug that fits snugly and assumed pretty water resistant due to the claimed IP44 rating.

Good for those just connecting the fans to power and running with them or those who don’t currently daisy-chain their fans into their Controller 69/69 Pro/69 Pro+. If, however, you daisy-chain your cloudray s6 gen1 clip fans, you’ll quickly notice that the right angle connector of the daisy chain adapters cannot be used in the gen2 clip fans. Further, the 90° end of the right angle UIS male to straight UIS male cable also will not fit into the UIS port of the gen 2 fan. As noted in the FAQs in the included manual: daisy-chaining or interconnection of additional clip fans is not supported, but multiple fans can be connected to a UIS controller for Smart Control.

I quickly pulled up a chat with AC Infinity to confirm what I read in the FAQs. They noted the only reason daisy-chaining is listed as in supported is due to the lack of fitment of the daisy-chain adapter. If you use a 10ft UIS male to UIS female cable, you can still use the daisy-chain adapter & functionality. No info on shorter UIS cables or revised daisy-chain adapters.

So if you’re getting the gen 2 clip fans as replacements for your gen 1 clip fans, be aware that daisy-chaining them requires an extra 10ft UIS male-to-female cable solely to connect the daisy-chain adapter, and even a quick swap may also require replacing the UIS cable between the fan & controller if using one of the right angle cables.

15 Likes

Hell ya!

Thanks for the write up :+1:

5 Likes

Well put. Thank you! I suppose an additional 10ft cord is not terrible. Gen 2s may likely replace the first completely. 🤷:seedling::green_heart:

2 Likes

Nice detailed review. Looked at those, but the mixed reviews on the gen 1 kept me away. Nice to see they’ve potentially beefed up the design. Thanks dude!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. :fist:t3::feather::feather:
I submitted the form to have my 5 gen 1 fans replaced. I’m pretty happy about that.
Before AC finally put out their UIS splitter I made my own to run 4 fans off one controller port. Based on the new fans port design it looks like I may have to turn all my cables around and plug the 90 into my splitter at the controller and the straight end into the fans. Small amount of trouble for new fans! :partying_face:
I know they have the splitters and the 8 port controllers out now but here’s a link to my write up on making your own splitter using stuff AC sends ya free anyway. I’ve been running a 4 way for fans and a 2 way for humidifiers for a year with no issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ACInfinityAdvancegrow/s/Rd0vFFhtKM

I’ve seen folks use this on as many as 6 fans on one port so far. :+1:t3:

4 Likes