Are USB fans viable for a grow tent?

They have some really cool USB fans out there. Would they push enough air to be a viable alternative in a grow tent, or are larger fans necessary? Could the number of fans just be increased?

How much air movement is necessary? I know that air movement is necessary to avoid stale air, but how much would actually be required to strengthen stems? Any ideas or thoughts?

3 Likes

Enough to move the leafs, it really depends on your grow area size but in short answer is yes pc fans work.

I used a small usb fan in one of my mushroom grow setups… I dont think it lasted even 3 weeks. just burned out.
I’ve had so many cheap plastic clip-on style fans burn out too. They never last more than a couple months.

The AC plug 120mm/4" axial fans are the only thing I’ve found that will run 24x7 for years without dying.

3 Likes

I was just wondering, they have all these mini tower fans, why haven’t they made one to clamp to a tents pole, so it’s slender, runs vertically and can oscillate in place.

3 Likes

@GreenCaciqueHawaii uses one that’s like a ceiling fan he posted a link on his page I’m gonna order a couple

3 Likes

My brother in law found a car fan that is designed to clamped on a head rest pole in a car. It looked perfect for tent poles, but did not oscillate.

1 Like

Get a clip fan or two

7 Likes

That was my plan, but we are looking at other options. Some of the USB fans are pretty dang cool. Like I said the ones look like they would clip on a pole. That will keep the clip from slipping and it falling on my plants.

1 Like

I actually had a combo of both USB and the clip fans . The USB didn’t really hold up. I ended up getting a bigger one that was metal n it hangs well from top hole on my new tent. The vivison has lots of ports n stuff makes for a not so cluttered tent

1 Like

The clips don’t hold to the tent poles, keeps slipping or just sliding down. I’m going to eithe have to hang a board from the top support to clamp or wall mount, or order the ones made for clamping onto the round poles.

Super easy, super reliable, quiet, adjustable speed and move decent air. And they have a bunch of sizes.

6 Likes

I believe if anything is going to last, it is going to be the ac infinity fans. They are way above the rest on quality. Good point tappy!!!

3 Likes

Ok, other than this secret jardin monkey fan, I can’t find the clamp fan for the poles. $40 for a small fan is a bit steep.

2 Likes

I believe I am going to add some 1x2 's to my tent poles for my next grow. I will clip the fans to that. It will be much cheaper than ordering the poles for sure, and the rectangle shape should work well with the fan clips.

The USB fan was the one that would clamp to the poles also. The picture shows it in a car.

2 Likes

I’ve had my little ac fan running for roughly 13,140 hours straight (a year and a half)!! Unplugged when cleaning or moving it, that’s it.

3 Likes

Found it, but out of stock https://vivosun.com/collections/6-inch-clip-on-fan/products/vivosun-6-inch-clip-on-oscillating-fan-2-pack

1 Like

I will never purchase another brand of inline fan. We can hang out near my tent and not yell now. It makes a huge difference.

2 Likes

I’ve had great luck with the clip on AC fans lasting, the clips work better on some tents than others but you can always hang them from the top and just use the clip to position.

Definitely +1 for AC infinity inlines, love them! Even the cheapies. Can’t say the same for the plastic bodied vivosun inlines, had one burn out very quickly. A stray pop tart wrapper may have come into play as well… :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Stupid pop tarts! :joy:

I’ve had a hard time getting them at the right angle to get them to blow where I want. It is hard to work them into the corner far enough to get a good bite. I’m pretty new at this, but I wanted one to help move air below the canopy as well. I started with them up top, but have since moved them lower.

1 Like

I use to work at a Brookstone (like a sharper image) and we sold this little fan. It didn’t last very long, but if they made a better one in this same profile, and added a clamp for the round poles, that would be golden Robot or human?

2 Likes