Accumulation of somatic mutations leads to genetic mosaicism in cannabis

I found this article very interesting and quite possible the situation I experienced with a plant I had. This GG4 bagseed I grew had an amazing smell! Pungent and potent. Well I took clones and all the clones have been different and nothing like the mom.
Here’s the link If your interested in reading the title which is an article.

Here’s the original bagseed

And here’s the most recent clone harvested and gee are the smells and taste way different. The clone isn’t pungent or potent but still has decent effects just don’t compare to the original. Bummer for me.

12 Likes

Very cool. Thanks for sharing🍻

1 Like

“Comparing the variants among the samples uncovered that nearly 600,000 (34%) were unique to the top while the bottom only contained 148,000 (12%), and middle with 77,000 (9%) unique variants.”
Did I just read that clones taken from the middle of the plant contain fewer genetic differences then clones taken from the top and bottom of the plant? Strange science…only read the abstract.

3 Likes

Think I read that wrong. This isn’t the bdsm page? Lol.

This is why i never choose keepers from seed plants. Always run clones of my seed plants for the most part. They never act the same as clones as they do seed plants. Never seen differences in different clones from the same plant though.

1 Like

One note is somatic mutations do not pass to seed offspring. Terps are variable when it comes to somatic mutations and not very studied. I have retained much of a plants terp profile through each clone generation, the type of equipment you need to study these types of things is incredible and probably won’t truly begin until a federal legalization. I actually posted about the best place to avoid these mutations in my journal a few days ago.

Terrior is another important factor when it comes to expression potential that a lot of people misstep as input must be the same for equal output. You would need to guarantee equal input and this can only be done in a sterile system with equal light input. Look into information for other plants when researching will help you find more information.

Old lore states take your clones from the bottom I can’t remember why off the top of my head. To clear this up it isn’t a 9% change in the code it is saying 9/100 were unique and unlike the mother plant. So you have a 88% chance when taking from bottom to progress your clone generation without a significant change.

With somatic mutations we still don’t know if there is a total mutation potential or a maximum change limit.

Mutations of this sort do not just occur when progressing a clone generation they occur continuously and stressing a plant compounds this significantly. Not all mutations are a bad thing. Generally the plant is attempting to adapt to a new environment. I wonder what type of mutations a plant undergoes throughout the hardening off process.

Still so much we don’t know. Always learning.

3 Likes