Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 1)

Lol exactly probably none of them actually grow haze. Too funny…beautiful flower btw. Agreed haze is not fruity at all to me more exotic spice and incense.

3 Likes

Oh Gsus!!! I was only going to run the MH IBL on my next run. I shall try the MH x Z99 as well. No doubt. Beautiful.

3 Likes

i grew plants with that haze-type of expression too.
very beautiful indeed :sunglasses: the effects are really rare nowadays

19 weeks (and still not done, imo.)

this is still not a pure haze, tho … just a hybrid. (1989 NLHz via nev)

__

EDIT:
btw, i did hit her with c5bx-males and shared those out as “schoolyard haze” :wink: (= NLHz bx3-type)

37 Likes

How do you know its not related.Haze originated in California and what i read Oldtimer was hosting hippies from California at the time.When you compare Oldtimer’s Haze with the photos from the 1980 Haze calendar, i would say its Haze.

Oldtimer’s Haze

46 Likes

faster flowering pheno @60. She’s a stinker

25 Likes

If that’s the case then why haven’t equatorial sativa evolved for shorter flower times as obviously open pollination is the natural way? You would think that if open pollination naturally selected for shorter times we wouldn’t have long flower sativa’s at all because they would have been outcompeted somehow by the shorter and shorter flower times by early dropping males and early females.

As long as people are letting the flowers fully finish the late dropping males will pollinate the late reflowers and longer flowering shouldn’t be selected against. Saying open pollination selects toward shorter flowering is generally wrong.

You have any pics to share? I believe you were calling people out for not not growing haze yet you haven’t shared a single pic of a grow of your own yet…

7 Likes

Here’s the longer flowering keeper, Ill add anything that finishes under 120 days is about all I can handle for longer flowering plants. Anything over that is not kept. They just never seem to finish flowering even after 6 months.

25 Likes

In reality, some selections are usually automatic. I would say that for most people breeding in a tent, there’s some selection towards quicker seed maturity because most people are typically not going to wait for every seed to mature. So only earlier seeds will have the chance to live.

It’s just like seed germination timing. Outside it’s better that seeds have different sprout times because some of the them are going to sprout at the wrong time and die. But any plant cultivated by humans, very quickly (within a VERY few generations) will evolve such that its seeds will start sprouting as soon as they get damp. That’s automatic too.

1 Like

For sure I agree with that. Variety is the spice of life when it comes to survival.

Selection is based off pressure and if there isnt a pressure like say the monsoon season in Thailand selecting a population that can finish flowering after the wet conditions I would imagine shorter flowering plants would dominate.

Its not open pollination in itself that selects towards shorter flowering I would think, but rather other environmental pressures. I personally don’t believe that open pollination done in a greenhouse that allows a variety to fully finish would effect the overall of flower times. Again as long as they are fully finished.

Im not an expert but I have a passing interest in genetics.

Do you have a source for that? I would love to read about it more.

1 Like

"The idea that plants quickly evolve in response to human cultivation to have seeds that sprout more readily when exposed to moisture is not supported by current scientific understanding of plant evolution. Evolution is typically a slow and gradual process that occurs over many generations in response to various environmental pressures and genetic changes.

When humans cultivate plants, they may inadvertently select for certain traits that are desirable for agricultural purposes, such as higher crop yields, disease resistance, or improved taste. However, the specific trait of seeds sprouting more readily when exposed to moisture would need to arise through natural genetic variation and be advantageous in the cultivated environment to become more prevalent in a plant population over time.

While some plants may exhibit adaptations related to seed germination in response to specific environmental conditions, such as fire or cold stratification, these adaptations typically result from natural selection and long-term evolutionary processes rather than rapid changes within a few generations of human cultivation.

It’s important to note that plant breeding and genetic modification can accelerate the development of desired traits in crops, but these processes typically involve controlled and deliberate manipulation of plant genetics rather than rapid evolution through natural selection."

I found this tidbit :v:

4 Likes

Haze is a hybrid or poly hybrid and the only real explanation why we see faster flowering plants along with longer flowering Haze plants has to be a faster flowering line was introduced some were along the line.

How do i know OT1s Haze is not related to the Haze Sam took to Holland ?

Quote from Vic Highs BC Forum- Wolfman who was given the ot1 seeds.

The ‘Pure Haze’ lines discussed in the thread on CW and at our site are from a differing line of ‘Haze’ from California in the '60s and not the same as the ‘Haze Brothers’ legendry ‘Origional Haze’ lines…

The Thread at CW was the Mr Nice forum were Wolfman selected 10 people to pass out what is now called OT1s Haze. Wolfman was the guy that got the seed from Ot1 and managed to germinate preserve and share the line and who Dubi and others got it from.

This is what Haze flowers looked like back in July 1980 High Times Mag.

10 Likes

OT Haze is haze to me. I grew it alongside NL5.x haze some years ago and the similarities were more than striking. High’s and taste was incredibly similar, the main difference that the NL5 haze was muddier in the high, and of course the OT took way longer to flower.

7 Likes

incorrect , successive selection for earlier flowering will result in earlier flowering , this is what breeding is about , reaching ones goals , whether they be about flavor , color , earlier maturing , later maturing ,

11 Likes

Nothing about my post was incorrect.

Haze is a hybrid or a poly hybrid so flowering times will depend on the lines used.

If the plants used in the Haze were all long long flowering like Thai and Colombian then your not going to magically have 10 or 12 weeders pop up are you.

That is why breeders in the US and breeders in Holland introduced indicas into their breeding to speed up flowering times.

I am fully aware of what selection or selecting set traits is.

3 Likes

in order to make a variety flower faster ,
you can select faster types within the variety ,
its really that easy ,
its not magic at all , its breeding for a trait over successive generations and eventually seeing results …

look i dont know what is in any of the haze, because i didnt make it , but i do know about selecting ,
so yes you are incorrect , it could be either things , crossing to an earlier type , or selecting for earlier flowering … both can produce earlier flowering plants within a line …
there is more than one explanation , you said , “the only explanation” , which is not right …

12 Likes

To select for faster flowering you first need to have a line with faster types with in the long flowering types with in the line and that normally indicates hybridization.

2 Likes

What advantage do you see in lengthening the growing period?

if you grow enough , you ll find some ,
you just need a large amount to select from , there will be some earlier ones ,
we saw them in old strains that came here back in the day ,
the odd one would flower earlier than the others ,
they were not adulterated , you would have seen that easily …

this is doable , there is no doubt about it …

11 Likes

i dont really see much advantage to extending the growing period on plants that are already long flowering ,
one may have to experiment with planting times if they are trying to avoid specific weather patterns that might hamper their crops , like late finishing monsoons etc ,
we are experiencing such events where i live now ,
so even pure sativas are running into trouble with rainy seasons starting later and going longer than they usually do ,
the only answer is to grow in dryer areas , further from the coast and higher mountains that attract rain …

9 Likes