Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 1)

Final lap over here. @hempy , awesome work. Same passion for N.H.
Now I’ve been pressurized by family to finish my artwork. Relax mamma, let me finish it :grinning:
Seeds available.

19 Likes

8 Likes

I have a few more laps left on the NH.

Re-running the selection from the last F2 run, she’s being flowered under 7/17 hoping to see less running flowers. I had a few issues, I tried a new nutrient, but they did not like it.

17 Likes

My ACE Panama Haze a little before harvest. My first haze run. There will be more.

43 Likes

This may be accurate, but there’s more to it… For example, the founding fathers were known to grow “hemp” in America, so though the Mexican “marijuana” did come in later, there was in fact weed in the states prior to the 1900s.

7 Likes

“In 1619, Jamestown announced the order for all farmers to grow hemp seed, and as more colonies popped up hemp cultivation laws became more mandatory. Cannabis hemp quickly became legal tender in most of the early settler days of 1631 into the early 1800s. Taxes were paid with hemp for over two hundred years, and between the 17th and 18th centuries it was illegal NOT to grow hemp in some areas. Some colonies even enforced jail sentences for those who did not participate in what was quickly becoming a patriotic act, especially during the revolutionary war.”
I found this on the internets :grin:

I actually have ancestors that were “planters” of hemp in Virginia that then moved to the Little Dixie region of Missouri to continue their Planting of hemp until the civil war freed their workforce.
Apparently, hemp cultivation on the large scale was so labor intensive that it was usually performed in the US by slaves.

I do remember reading in The Emperor Wears No Clothes that there was a processing machine that was invented right before the prohibition of Cannabis that was the equivalent to the cotton gin for cotton, getting hemp ready for prime time.
By the hand of Dupont and the Hearst newspapers stirring up racist fears of Negro and Mexican psychopathic sex addicts smoking the reefers.
Prohibition, ushering in the use of synthetic fabrics.

6 Likes

The decordicator I believe. A machine so efficient, they made the entire industry illegal.

4 Likes

You are correct. There is a difference between fiber hemp and psycho-active hemp history.
The mexican strains were brought by african slaves and adapted in SA.
The route Africa to South America is an import historical happening for us sativa lovers.

The unkown factor is the Vikings, who allready had settlements in Canada in the golf of Labrador.
Many centuries before the so called discovery of the new world.

Thank you for all your knowledge sharing guys. I can only agree with everything.

5 Likes

This is an urban myth that Jack Herer propagated that has no basis in historical fact, unfortunately. The hemp decorticator (flax and hemp use similar processes) was invented in the 1860’s, as evidenced by this English article about it being shown at an industrial fair:

https://hempology.org/DECORTICATORS/1862%20FLAX%20AND%20HEMP%20GIN.html

The head of NORML himself Dr Dale has addressed this in interviews:

“ Dr. Dale Gierenger, head of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, in his paper The Origins of Cannabis Prohibition in California. He writes:

Herer has never produced an iota of evidence to substantiate this theory. To the contrary, according to Hearst’s biographer, W.A. Swanberg, Hearst’s newspaper empire was heavily dependent on imports of Canadian newsprint, rising prices of which left him seriously strapped for cash by 1939. It therefore seems that it would actually have been in Hearst’s interest to promote cheap hemp paper substitutes, had that been a viable alternative.

This tracks with me because I know the industrial history of southern New England well, and Connecticut River paper mills made much of the newsprint Hearst and his contemporaries used to print the New York newspapers. Those mills started to shift production or die off when Canadian newsprint was able to be transported down expediently, first with the building of the Erie Canal in the 1820s, with traffic peaking in the 1850’s, then around 1900 the railroads took over almost completely by the peak of the steam locomotive era when they had the power and speed to make it economical. Newsprint was also shipped down the coast on the Atlantic straight into the Tri-State with steam freighters, it’s a big part of the shrinking of the world through commerce actually. Previously paper had been a largely local commodity for everyday uses, but newsprint especially became one of the first mass manufactured disposable goods that was shipped over great distances.

This is a related article with some good links to historical primary sources:

Sorry guys Hearst was a terrible dude but this one isn’t true. The yellow journalism and monopoly-building is plenty to dislike him for without adding in myth.

9 Likes

That was probably the first conspiracy theory that I had fallen upon.
I read that book in 1991 and never tried to substanciate Jack’s claims.

1 Like

Absolutely understandable, I think it has spread so much because it’s one of the few things in that book that’s actually wrong. Jack was a great researcher and scholar of cannabis, but he didn’t have the benefit of working in an era with the archives of the world all at his fingertips on the internet like we do, and he wasn’t able to engage in peer review as an academic since his field of expertise was highly illegal. I don’t blame the guy but it deserves saying that he got a couple things wrong and that’s the big one that people tend to remember. Most academic books of that age have some sort of “oh shit” thing like that in them unless they were really well edited reviewed fact-checked and peer reviewed.

4 Likes

I always thought (read somewhere) that cannabis will naturally, without mans intervention through selection, become more THC dominant in the tropics, and will naturally turn to hemp, in temperate lattitudes.

Of all the places that African slaves were brought to America why didn’t cannabis consumption become more prevalent in other places other than Mexico and Colombia. Seems like the indigenous Americans may have had a hand in the selection process, especially considering their fondness of altered states of consciousness.
I’d also like to point out that another cannabis smoking culture, the Indians had an important influence in the world.
Indian merchants traded high and low throughout Asia and then traveled around the globe, with the British,
after becoming subjects to the crown.

Jamaican cannabis culture for sure and possibly South African - Rhodesia, were influenced by Indian Merchants and indentured servants.

Could the Indian influence help explain why no one ever thinks of Hatian, Puerto Rican, Venezuelan, … as cannabis hotbeads?

3 Likes

@Dope_Heffalump @eskobar I have a few more of those maps saved in my phone from other academic papers, I’d have to dig out the PDFs from downloads but I think they’re probably posted by me on here somewhere in the Landraces and Heirlooms or Haze threads. That one’s from Barney Warf, PDF link here:

Duvall:

Temporal-and-spatial-distribution-of-cannabis-achenes-ca-5-000-2-000-cal-bp-and-wheat

3 Likes

My first thought on that picture too. Probably the ways it took are correct but not the dates.

1 Like

NH X OH X APPSS at 40 days

17 Likes

Mango haze getting a nice fade going. Smell is like carrots and spice today. Think I’m at 9 weeks or so. Sorry the pics suck i have a cheap phone, but you get the idea. Buds are quite fluffy but loaded with stickiness. This particular pheno doesn’t have alot of foxtails. Mainly marbles up and down the arms. Anybody had this pheno? Smell is what it’s all about on this one. I ask bc sometimes I wonder if my seeds were mixed up and I got maybe ssh? Smells more musky spice than Mango, but the mango is def there too. Leaves alot funk in the air too. Plant usually gets light purple tinge with lower temps as well. Guess it doesn’t really matter, I’m just curious.

18 Likes

Mango haze and ssh are almost the same strain. The female plants in the crosses are sisters. Same father. I thought the same thing growing out 2 packs. Most of the “good” phenos were lemon lime spice(what I think of ssh), half were nl5ish(resinous, bland, stony).Only one was outright sweet mango carrot another was sweet lemon acrid grapefruit with a hint of mango. A couple of were earthy spicy with hints of mango after a long cure.

• see Hempy’s correction below.
7 Likes

The Mango Haze and the SSH mothers are sister plants YES, but they are very different to each other.

They don’t share the same father, the Mango Haze Father is SK x HzA.

The SSH father is an SK x HzC.

8 Likes

Thank you for the correction.

3 Likes

@hempy , When you say mango haze was like NH in that early iteration; Was is just the structure or was it in flavor or effect also? And could you please describe the general flavor of each, Please

4 Likes