Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 1)

It was just like NH in both looks and affect when it was in test seed form then as a result of only two people Me and Jesse growing them out as the rest of the testers 8 culled them claiming the plants were not practical for indoors Shanti then re worked it before it was finally released.

7 Likes

Pregnant Oaxacan gold cryptic labs 60 days flower.

21 Likes

Very good info…thanks. makes sense now. Overall I like the Mango more, phenos mot all over the place. I love carrot terps bc it’s a rare one.

2 Likes

The last unicorn. Unicorn Poop x Ag seed co original haze. A few weeks to go and she is not the happiest, let her get way too big for the pot she’s in but it is what it is.

16 Likes

Well, Puerto Rico, where I am from, now is indeed a cannabis hotbed if by that you mean the availability of high quality cannabis, similar to California or Colorado. Prior to the legalization of medical cannabis though, weed has always been grown in Puerto Rico, at least as far back as late 19th century, early 20th century.

In fact, my uncles had been growing and making their own crosses of colombian, panamanian, and mexican weed. All of these varietys did not even need to adapt, specially if they were from the mountains with moderately dry weather, as is the case in the south of the archipelago, or those varietys that adapted to tropical rain forests in those countries of origin, suitable for our northern part of the Central Mountains. I still have tons of seeds that were handed down to me by my uncles. Some people, specially Californians, have made fun of me when I have told them that the most potent, trippiest, but also the happiest highs, comes from cannabis I have tried that were grown by my uncles and that came from these regions.

I had the chance of growing some and there seems to be a slight possibility of hybridization, but most grew and smoked like sativas.

Anyways, here is the Amnesia Haze x Chocolate Rain f1s I grew this year. Very impressed with the effects of these plants and will have to grow them again:

Kept them very small for security purposes, but they were all very excellent.

Raspberry-Grapefruit pheno:

I get funky with it. It is very uplifting and it gets you in the mood to be playful, closer to people, even affectionate towards people, and if you like to dance, you WILL dance. The kind of cannabis that has you singing to the songs over the commercials and that fills you with big expectations of what is ahead to come. You almost feel glad you decided not to give up on life because, suddenly, you feel full of energy and filled with what it takes to tackle life.

Raspberry Syrup Pheno:

This is the only phenotype with a slightly sedative effect peeking its nose at the otherwise dreamy high. There is no heavyness, only full relaxation, while having a powerful psycoactive effect. Perfect for long saturdays lounging about the house while intermitently active on the kitchen and the house in general.

Raspberry-Cherry Pheno:

This phenotype is done after 9 weeks of flowering. You could say that it is my favorite out of the three in terms of the loudness of the terpenes. It is just great. The high is the cleanest and without less ceiling, but it is also simpler than the longer flowering phenotype- aka the raspberry-cherry haze- in terms of how far you can get away from earthly centered thoughts. This one keeps you grounded. You can even use it to think in creative ways to optimize things in life, like daily chores, and I actually use it to work. It keeps me motivated and focused.

I will repeat the grow under much better conditions and will also grow Mango Haze IBL (Wally) and regular Mr. Nice Mango Haze, along with Ace’s Super Panama Haze (Neville’s Haze x Panama). The future holds great promise with these lines out there. Imagine if it were all … well … you know what.

I only wish I could grow these outdoors back home. I am absolutely sure they would grow 10 times better.

19 Likes

That was exactly my point, places like Puerto Rico are perfect for Cannabis, but here you admit that your uncles were working with Colombian and Panamanian varieties and not local heirlooms.

2 Likes

Indeed. i´m just chiming in with a little bit more light. I think in our case there are various sociological factors that distinguish it from other places of the region.

1. Size of the territory: It is in a small archipelago that is highly populated and so growing is very risky. There isn´t a lot of space to hide the cultivation of landraces, usually grown in large scale operations, like in North America (Mexico and the US). The Dominican Republic, however, could be different. For comparison, look at the difference in population relative to the territory:

1. Racism and Xenophobia: While not being a ¨white country¨, Puerto Rico does have a relatively large white population (direct descendants of spaniards) that has historically governed as colonial administrators both under Spain and the US and, beyond that, its average population tends to be a predominately mediterranean multi-racial population. Historically, not nowadays, but this certainly had an influence even over my grand-parents generation, this segment of our population related cannabis with blacks and a ¨decline¨ of the Hispano-Roman culture in an archipelago surrounded by ethnicities deemed inferior. Disgusting, but this was our past.

2. Political Ideology and Penal Law: Historically, we have been a moderately conservative population, something that has changed greatly since the 1980s, specially regarding cannabis. To this date, the highest penalties within a US jurisdiction for possession (even after medical legalization) are usually seen in Puerto Rico. Imagine illegal cultivation. The people who created the legal infrastructure for medical cannabis were the ones who most fiercely supported prohibition and now they are the ones writing down the regulations for medical cannabis, making it so expensive to have a legal grow that most of the population, who indeed nowadays has a deep relationship with cannabis, can´t afford to comply with such regulations and grow for themselves. These hypocrites now control the medical cannabis market and own most dispensaries. In their narrative, cannabis can only be cultivated for medical purposes, not recreational. They also have ties to the two party system or come directly from that system.

I guess that it will come down to the newer generations to take cannabis plants suitable for the different climates that we have, just like the Mexicans, Colombians, and Jamaicans have historically done with varieties from other places and have eventually given way to their own landraces. In 50 or so years we might be talking about landraces in Puerto Rico if we defeat the paradigm of medical cannabis and go for full legalization.

I am sorry if the post was too long. I just thought it was interesting to explain given that it is a place with an ideal environment to grow our beloved plant.

13 Likes

I thought the post was interesting and not too long.

2 Likes

Are there cannabis strains that are indigenous to Puerto Rico?

2 Likes

No. At least I have not been aware of that possibility. It was illegalized in the 1930s, way before imports started arriving in the 60s, but I have no real knowledge regarding the possibility that an indigenous strain has ever existed. What we have had for at least 65 years are locally grown seeds from imports.

I could and should research more about this since I have been collecting seeds from the Lesser Antilles when on vacation on a cruise ship. The goal is to spend at least two decades selecting the best antillean strains from both the Greater and Lesser Antilles to make what I would call Antillean Haze or Arawak Sativa (Arawaks were the indigenous tribes living there before the Conquest).

We do have autochtonous varieties such as Mango Piña and Chocolate. These are most probably from Colombia. Time to research about this old school style in the libraries from universities and contacting experts. There isnt any info online as far as I am aware of.

There is also this, but I would not know how to classify it and being a predominately indica variety it must be fairly recent: Puerto Rican Indica (Primordial Beanz) :: Cannabis Strain Info

However, something tells me that historical memory has been erased.

“Historical account from 1561 suggesting that cannabis joints, known as “porros,” were possibly invented on an unspecified Caribbean island. During the harvest season, people would cut cannabis leaves, tie them into bundles, and dry them by the fire. When they wanted to use them, they would take a leaf, insert another inside, tightly wrap them together, and then light one end. By putting the other end in their mouths, they would inhale the smoke (Salvat, 1997).”

Blunt Origins

" The origins of blunts go back to the Caribbeans during the XIX century, where Jamaica and Puerto Rico locals started smoking marijuana using tobacco leaves. The reason is still unknown, but it is thought that the lack of rolling paper (as carriers couldn’t reach the area due to tropical storms) forced them to create new ways to consume cannabis."

9 Likes

The Sativa Dom Sibling of NH x OH x APPSS…

21 Likes

Getting these wet today. Im looking for males to hit a Malawi gold x Grinspoon female., I will happily take any quality females found lol.

Originally Bred by: Spice Brothers

Female
“Hundreds of Neville’s haze f2s were grown out to show recessive parental traits. After careful selection and tasting we decided on a very sativa dominant side of Neville’s haze that had a flowering time just short of 15 weeks and had the trippiest profound smoke quality with no paranoia or couch lock. Easy letdown and no hangover”.

Male
An extremely early flowering Vietnamese male carrying an almost pure single cola shaped growth.

Reproduced by Madmac
Lieu Hahn=(Nevils Haze x Vietnamese male )

20 Likes

Also consider the high humidity likely made tobacco leaves much more practical. I think I saw an interview with one of the Marley sons saying this is the reason they add tobacco to their paper spliffs. Iv tried it it makes me sick, even when I smoked cigs

2 Likes

Certainly, but this would apply to the North and the northern face of the Central Mountain Range that divides the main island in half from the Northeast to the Southwest. In the south of the Island it is not humid at all. Have a look at the transition from one face of the mountain to the other:

This is how it looks going up from Caguas to Cayey:

And this is how it looks coming down from Cayey to Guayama by driving down the southern face:

My wife is from Castille and she says that the south of Puerto Rico is a ¨secarral¨ just like Castille in the summer. I think Indicas and hybrids can easily be grown in the south. Cactuses actually grow here and at the peak of the summer we have some fires too. I believe this dry and harsh climate does not exist in Jamaica or Cuba, but I have seen it in the DR and Haiti, along the south of the Hispaniola.

And this is my family’s rural town: Las Piedras

In this climate, only pure tropical sativas would thrive.

Conversely, the Northwest is characterized, just like Cuba west of Havana (Pinar del Rio), by having Mogotes. This rock formations that we call Mogotes or Karst (composed of limstone) are hollow and inside there are subterranean rivers. It is not seen outside the Pacific Southeast Asia and can only be seen in Western Cuba and Northwest Puerto Rico.

I still am amaze at how much diversity a small archipelago like Puerto Rico can have.

15 Likes

Back in ‘03 in spent a year in Aguadilla area and loved the island, food and the people.

4 Likes

I live in Spain, but I am in Puerto Rico every summer and winter. If you are ever down there around these months (december and august and july), let me know, I´d like to meet, have a good smoking session, and hook you up with local seeds.

11 Likes

Unfortunately I haven’t been back since, but I think about our time there regularly.

2 Likes

23 Likes

Whats FP buddy? Also brackets help me separate the parents. Its hard to tell in that format your using.

1 Like

I normally use Brackets. Ive posted them and a few others multiple times. I just got lazy adding them again… This post has all the info

FP=Snowman x Bio Diesel

I got some Lieu Hahn seeds soaking now=(Nevils Haze x Vietnamese male )

4 Likes