Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 1)

The genome is the same size so when you are introducing more numbers then you are increasing the amount of individuals that are different from the rest of the population due to the process of cross-over. More heterozygous the genome depending on what chromosomes are in question will produce more areas of cross-over because the loci are more distant. When you inbreed you are basically selecting for a certain trait and reducing the variability by closing the distance on the linked chromosome thus reducing the chance for other unique characteristics that occur from the heterozygous condition. Not sure we are looking at the big picture. We have a whole forest of trees that include oak, mahogany, pine, and mesquite. If I am wanting to smoke brisket I can go with oak and/or mesquite. That will be good for the brisket, but what if I want to say build a cutting block then go with mahogany and oak. What if I want to build a house pine would be a good choice. I keep the whole forest and cut down the trees I need for whatever purpose I intend to use them for. Keeping the diversity of the forest is what Tom Hills method is.

You can find the 5% and use Allards process of recurrent selection and go from there. I only hope that if I go a wrong direction or want to go a new direction I have the whole forest to choose from not just a stand of pine trees.

9 Likes

Been gone a minute. Had to catch up. I think this can all be summed up by simply realizing most breeders produce seeds for growers while some produce seeds for breeders. It seems Tom Hill is the latter.

7 Likes

Bandaid Haze 7 - Doc D/Bodhi - 89 days - beyond the basement mildew gamey smell there’s something slightly floral. Not too much longer here… 105 days and she’s done.

37 Likes

Nice chat :point_up:

The more I grow, the more I cherish variation in a line. I welcome the runt and am thankful when I find one at the opposite end of the spectrum :slightly_smiling_face:

Weed is clonally propagated. Find one you like and keep it around. That’s much more fun than the years of headaches of forging nature to your will.

10 Likes

I bought a pack of purple diesel haze and got eight males, two females and both were an all green pheno, no purple :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

My most recent runt, looking silver, purple and ooey gooey, definately the outlier of the pack, I like small runty plant too

12 Likes

She doesn’t look too runty to me :laughing:

I welcome the occasional runts because they stand much below the average. Also means the occasional much higher than the average plant should show up.

That, and somehow I doubt nature ever made something useless. I look at a runt and ask it - what is your purpose, show me something - :wink:

10 Likes

Nice way to look at it. I agree.Sometimes if a plant doesn’t make it in the tent it becomes a beloved house plant rather than meet the chop. I have a few on various window sills. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Absolutely Right 100%. Math is putting the numbers to observations(nature) and then you get an approximation a 100% of the time.

4 Likes

I concur, the runts usually are either really loud or super frosty or both basically all the goods but no structure :slight_smile: lol like the difference between a jock or a nerd :slight_smile: lol

3 Likes

Not sure if this answers any question, or if there even was a question, but Todd’s is full of variety. I’ve gone through probably close to 100 of them and have had both very weak and very strong highs. Some will flat out blow your head off, but it is rare. Some will do next to nothing. Plenty will give the always welcome strobe visual, and many will give a delayed effect, that I call the “ninja kick”, because it’s like you are walking down a hallway, not expecting much, then it hits you out of nowhere. There are lots of “deep-dive” into your head kinds of effects to be found in that haze line too. The smells usually fall into one of these catagories: Pineapple, Gingerale, Frankincense, Szechuan Peppercorn, Panama Lime, Pine-Needle Piss, Mango Soap, Rain Forest, Old Spice with rare ones leaning into more savory things like butter or a super saturated smell that could come across as leathery, but can also lean to a wooden vanilla extract type thing. I’ll add that after reading so many people equate incense to liver, I’ve come to the conclusion that most people have no clue what incense smells like. WTF kind of incense smells like liver? The only Haze line I’ve found that consistently smells like liver, is Metal Haze, and some of the stuff coming out of the Mr. Nice camp can too, but Shanti’s Haze seems to also give off more onion-y kind of smells. Todd’s is different than Tom’s, or at least the Tom’s that comes from Mac… I haven’t been lucky enough to try Tom’s from him directly. There is a strange “reptilian” quality to the one Todd has… it’s hard to describe, but a lot of them will look like a fucking iguana. Breeding with Todd’s has proven to be a crapshoot too… some crosses have been great- I was smoking one the other day I made a while back, and it was the kind of weed where you could convince someone a setting sun was actually a sunrise- but then today I was smoking a sister to that cross, and it didn’t do much at all. IMHO, anyone who exclusively grows Haze for their personal use, is out of their mind. You can put in so much time and effort looking for something, and it may never appear.

19 Likes

hemp is extremely resistant to inbreeding depression, it shouldn’t be much of an issue

4 Likes

Cannabis is a dioecious wind pollinated obligate outcrosser and is very much sensitive to inbreeding, as opposed to self pollinated crops like tomatoes that can be inbred many times without Ill effects.

7 Likes

science is constantly evolving, we find out regularly that things known as scientific fact were just not peer reviewed enough under the right variance.
cannabis science is at its inception in that official field, up until recently it was mainly trial and error by growers hiding in the shadows and posting anonymously online.
i laugh when people get extremely technical about it. i want genetics from someone who understands they cant control everything and focuses on the things they can control. good motto for life.

8 Likes

Diogenes wandered the streets of ancient Greece with a lantern in broad daylight, shoving it in people’s face telling them he was looking for an honest man.

Science that contradicts itself every 2 months isn’t science. It’s fishing for funds at best and straight untruth at worse.

I saw a report a year ago proving that cannabis causes heart failures.
40 pages in, it said “we did not account if heart problems started before or after cannabis use.”
Having a heart attack in 93 and starting to toke in 2007 don’t exactly add up to cause.
You’d think timeline to be important to find causes.
Peer reviewed, big budget science rainbow emoji

I say never drop your lantern folks.

14 Likes

From Allard (1960):

Although the majority of higher plants show inbreeding depression of greater or lesser degree, there are some species in which inbreeding can be carried on indefinitely with seeming impunity. The self- pollinating species obviously fall in this category, but so also do a number of the normally cross-fertilizing species of plants. The cucurbits, although monoecious and cross-pollinated, have already been mentioned as an example of a group of species in which certain lines appear to lose little vigor on inbreeding. Hemp, a dioecious species, is another example.

p. 219

There are also great differences in the effects of inbreeding, ranging from little or no deterioration in such crops as hemp and the cucurbits to such drastic effects in others, for example, alfalfa, that few lines can be carried beyond the second or third selfed generation.

p. 45

:man_shrugging:

9 Likes

This definitely goes against what I though I knew hah.

I’ll read what Allard has to say when I get off work, must be some kind of distinction or I’m missing something.

7 Likes

Almost there with some A5 Killer Haze (A5 x Malawi)
Definitely impressed, have had some humidity issues here lately due to weather and she’s showing some amazing resistance, smells definitely Malawi dominant

39 Likes

@Mithridate @ChongoBongo Both of you are correct I think? You say that the hemp plant can take inbreeding and stay vigorous; You say inbreeding has a very high degree of segregation and when practiced enough by specific trait selection can lead to loss of variation but still be vigorous. All Good.

4 Likes

We really need to distinguish hemp from drug type cannabis. Hemp is like breeding corn, this can be done from seed, not too complex. Drug type cannabis is an entirely different matter. Way more complex. You might as well try to breed strawberries from seed, hence, we don’t.

6 Likes