Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 2)

if one simply does some research into what landrace plants are ,
the word diversity is ever present ,
this means there are variations throughout the variety,
and as i mentioned , this is what makes landraces so valuable …
here is just one of the definitions …
landrace…
a local variety of a species of plant or animal that has distinctive characteristics arising from development and adaptation over time to conditions of a localized geographic region and that typically displays greater genetic diversity than types subjected to formal breeding practices.

4 Likes

“Typically” …

So not always then?

:sweat_smile:

in most cases; usually.

3 Likes

Are you feeling ok, Hempy :joy:. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you post that a haze is anything other than what came from Neville via Sam. Me, I’ve been sick as a dog with a god forsaken virus for two weeks. Has completely destroyed my smell. Stuck my nose into my gas tank. Nothing. I’m really hoping this isn’t going to be a long term problem.

I did wet two dozen Tom’s Positronic Haze today, so at least that’s a positive.

8 Likes

That is simple, to answer Open Pollination.

1 Like

You get covid ? Hope you’re on the mend mate, smell and taste should come back with in a month.

All Haze leads back to Sam, that is a fact.

2 dozen THH in the Cali sun will be fun to watch, you going to take clones ?

2 Likes

Well that just doesn’t even exist.
Think about it in terms of the number of alleles that would need to be identical for a plant to breed true for all traits and then consider the mathematical logistics of achieving that. It’s wishful thinking on a practical level, and it’s not even desirable due to the inbreeding depression that would result. You would need the genotype to produce the same phenotype, every time. Meaning that every allele has to be identical. Given that cannabis is an obligate outcrossing plant and many if not all of the traits are polymorphic/linked, some attributes are dominant/recessive, some are additive, some are driven by over dominance and then combine that with the complexity and variability of the genome etc. Now consider that a breeder has to be able to select in such a way as to have something not only homozygous, but homozygous according to the traits of interest for all progeny, not just homozygous and shit, but something worth while, and consider that the only way to do that is via heavy selection pressure and repeated inbreeding and then careful maintenance etc. Does that sound like the kind of sophisticated effort that was going on in the 60’s and prior? Was the original haze hybrid ever selected by the original growers over enough generations for it breed true to type? The variability still found would suggest not right?
Also if your variety is homozygous or breeds true then in theory it’s one of the few occasions that open pollination is a good strategy, so long as you maintain enough numbers to minimize inbreeding depression via bottlenecks.

3 Likes

True breeding lines should be homozygous for the alleles of interest. Since Nevil himself found various phenotypic expressions in Sam’s work, we can say with certainty that haze was never true breeding and who would want it to be.

Landraces should have very similar genotypes, but can still produce varying phenotypic expressions. Hence more diversity then a single mating or some attempt at inbreeding, selfing etc.

Its been many years since I took biology in college, but these things hold true. If Mendel wants a pea that is both tall and purple, he best mate those plants that have the alleles (TT) and (PP). In doing so, he guarantees a true breeding offspring. If he mates a (TT) plant with a plant that is (Tt), his F1 off spring will be 100% tall; however, his F2 offspring will not.

3 Likes

So you’re clearly disagreeing with the science then.

Growers before forums inbreed there genetics they crossed there most vigorous female and male and made seed of their favourite strain or strains and kept them pure, I know I did as did everybody I knew.

A Polyhybrid takes 10 generations.

Therefore, it may require over 10 generations for a polyhybrid to become an IBL. You can create an very stable line by inbreeding your plants, thus creating an inbred line (IBL).

The selection and selfing cycles are repeated until inbred lines that no longer show significant phenotypic variation between individuals are generated. These lines are often called “true breeding” inbred lines.

Thanks, mate. Negative on Covid, but I’d feel better it that’s what it was. Smell usually comes back from Covid. I’ve read that there are other viruses that can knock out sense of smell and it could be months, years or never for it to return. I doubt that’s where I’m at, but as I like to cook and smell the weed I’m smoking, it’s bumming me out at present. Plus just being sick for two weeks now is a real drag. No smoking for me at all for several weeks. The shit coming out of my nasal discharge and lungs is pretty horrific. Feel like I’m getting a grip on it.

3 Likes

Just remember inbred for the traits that are important to you. It would be impossible to have an inbred line of marijuana that is identical for every allele. As there are a number of phenotypic expressions that require multiple alleles (like scent since I’m so hung up on it atm), it would be pretty much useless to try to breed for a line that always smelled exactly the same. If you want it to always have a high level of myrcene, then breed for that and you can achieve a very stable expression.

2 Likes

Yeah not true we can turn a haploid species into a diploid one and bingo, bango, bongo homozygous at every allele …

Probably what happened in nature :wink:

2 Likes

landraces and inbred lines are not the same thing at all ,
and polyploids are something different again …
this discussion is all over the place , hahaha …

5 Likes

I intentionally am starting late so that I don’t end up with 20+ 10’ plants. I’m going to try to put in some work to clone as well OP them. Save pollen in the freezer as well any stand out male plants too if there happens to be any real show stoppers. I’ll knock these 100 seeds out this way in a few seasons and repo the line as I go. The next round will get dusted with this rounds pollen in addition to its own male selections pollen. Next year I may be in position to run 100 at a go, but this year I’m going to try a smaller bite.

2 Likes

Sounds nasty, so many nasty viruses out there now, hopefully it’s over with mate.

When I work or as I like to call it preserve a modern line I always select for the high, I don’t care about yields flower times or smell only the high and type of high matters to me. I find when you do that the rest comes with it as that seems to be connected because the plants used to create Haze were true breeding.

Take Haze if you’re after the Colombian high, and you select for that you’re going to get a broader leaf and a fuller flower like it or not.

If you select for the Thai high, then those plants will have airy flowers, and more vine like frames.

With Land races/Heirloom varieties, it’s all been locked in long, long ago and why they breed true.

2 Likes

Only they don’t lol. Research what a landrace is, it doesn’t appear to be what you think.

9 Likes

To me there is one purpose to open pollination. You’ve got ten seeds of a varietal. You open pollinate those. You plant multiple seeds from there and are highly selective of which seeds end up being used to breed the next in line. All that open pollination does for you is preserve the genetic diversity of the seeds you have in order to set up the selection.

5 Likes

So basically maximizing the amount of segregation/variability of the next generation. I agree. Though the tiny god complex in me still always wants to cull the weak ones lol.

This whole landrace discussion has been around post and pole so many times on the landrace and heirloom thread lol, I think the general consensus was that it goes something like:

Wild(exctinct)>Feral > Landrace>Heirloom>varietal>IBL. With increasing amounts of selection pressure and with a bit of a grey area between what constitutes a real landrace vs an heirloom, but I think that’s probably almost as controversial on that thread as trying to define what the ‘real haze’ is on this one lol.

6 Likes

I agree with your comment on potency/quality of high being paramount for selection.The benefit of introducing landraces is they possess the potential for genetic diversity or new blood. If they bred true they wouldn’t be of use except to stabilize current lines.Breeding true and adapting over time thereby looking roughly the same are different things. The pheno may look similar but the geno is diverse which makes it easier to adapt. Maybe you are thinking of inbred lines?

2 Likes

I have grown them for over 4 decades, My research is hands-on.

You and the old wally seem to go against science when it involves trying to win and point, I would have thought keeping the information accurate was the real goal people should be aiming for.

You never told me how old you were Slain were you growing back in the 70s and 80s ?

1 Like