Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 2)

Yes the purple flower but purple leaf with green flower is okay going by what I remember Tom saying.

It’s a personal preference at the end of the day to what each of us like to smoke or even select from with in a hybrid. No right or wrong, just win-win when we find things we like.

5 Likes

I’m talking about purple everywhere even the stems. The most purple flowers ever almost purple star purple. Yum I love the taste and what a buzz!

2 Likes

I agree, mostly. lol. But we all have lived experience, some people might be older, some might have grown more plants. Age and experience do not necessarily equate to knowledge, and personal ‘knowledge’ may not always align with objective reality. Many old people live and die ignorant and such is their right. I didn’t even see this as argumentative or anything like trolling, and it definitely isn’t anything about semantics, because it’s not about the words used, it’s about the established facts, which are very simple and universally accepted: land race varieties of any crop are well known and exhaustively documented and researched to be genetically diverse as one of their defining characteristics. It’s just a fact, not my opinion. By simply open pollinating any plant without regard to any selection you are essentially creating a feral variety as all you have is natural selection pressure.

4 Likes

I have only come across two purple sativa lines in my life, one was green with a purple flower (unknown origin) the other was a Durban non-dutch amazing highs.

2 Likes

I mean this sincerely, with no negative connotations that may be derived from how these words are usually used, so please dont take this personally. I dont really care what you, or hempy, think or believe.

I find hempys experiences equally, if not more valuable than your data sets. This isnt because the statement in question is an empirical citation of cannabis cultivation truth, but simply because its a far more interesting.

For what its worth, I think what hempy said is entirely plausible within the framework of your dataset if for no other reason than the terms we use are colloquial in nature. Case and point, a landrace can be a IBL. Its not my place to say that is what happened, I wasnt born yet lol

5 Likes

Which is fine; we are all entitled to our opinions, but if we can’t agree on a common set of facts, then there is a potential problem no?

Here is an exhaustive paper on this exact topic.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this point; to me they are mutually exclusive.

4 Likes

This thread gives and gives and gives. Always learning here, excellent.

2 Likes

a landrace and an inbred line are not the same ,
just like a landrace and a feral variety is not the same,
and a landrace and an heirloom is not the same thing …

personally , i think its important we use the right terminology…
im a little surprised at folks thinking its ok to rebrand , or rephrase already well known terms ,
i know its been done before by the stoner world , but it should really be discouraged …
doesnt matter if it sounds good ,
might seem more interesting , or a good story even ,
but it should be correct , or corrected …

9 Likes

Kind off-topic in the current discussion, but comes to my mind.

Most people understand what tolerance to a substance is. However, we struggle to grasp how tolerance affects our perception of a particular substance’s use. Consider the uninterrupted use of a substance; what will tolerance look like after 20 years? This should be taken into account when referring to old strains of Cannabis. The idea that the old days were better has a name: nostalgia. That’s it. Nostalgia is nice, I like combustion engines, but that doesn’t mean they were better. Saying that only the lineage descending from the original is true, or worse, supposedly descending from the original, and the only guarantee you have is the word of someone with bills to pay, a mortgage, lawyers, and all that, is worth nothing. The Cannabis community, even long before the forums or the Dutch, is surrounded by arrogance and the idea of “Look how much better I am than you because I have these plants and you dont”, just like “I have a bigger penis”. BS.

If I cross an African Sativa with a Colombian Sativa, a Brazilian Sativa, and a Himalayan Indica, voilà, I have a Haze. A new name like “wedding cake” or “dirty kuntz” just messes everything up. I work with logic and abstract systems and I see no logic in what has been done regarding cannabis classifications. Similarly, if I cross my Bahian Sativa with an Indica from southern India, voilà, I have a White Widow. It won’t be the original, but it will be a WW, and it might even be better than the original. None of these names are patented; if I have the recipe, I make the cake. Whether the inventor of the cake likes my version or whether people will eat it and ask for the recipe to reproduce it is another story, but I replicated the cake. If I’m not sure whether it was wheat flour or oat flour, no problem, I’ll make the cake anyway. Genetically, it might take more than one batch for my cake to be stable and all that, but these are just details of genetic science, simply procedures that need to be followed for the result to be considered valid.

This puritanism about heredity is completely misguided. It only serves as escapism so that some people can claim a supposed advantage over others.

The legend of Skunk mentioned above has a thread in the international section of another forum known by the folks here, asking for Brazilian Sativa seeds. Seriously, with all this pomp and supposed relevance, do you need to ask for seeds in a random thread on a forum X? Saying that the old days were better and “I know and you don’t” seems to me just talk to sell seeds, clones, and to make oneself seem bigger than they are. It’s just ego.

4 Likes

A landrace just by its very nature is open pollinated with the exception of some places where males are pulled from the fields. But most are just massive amounts of plants all growing together that can’t possibly be selectively bred because of the numbers. The smart growers find the better females to save seeds from but the rest just use whatever is left over from processing tons of buds

5 Likes

:100: :100: :100:

BRAVO!!! Well said, Wallyduck

2 Likes

People confusing landrace and heirloom.

3 Likes

And it’s this approach that results in their genetic diversity, the reason being very simple: less selection pressure results in greater diversity when compared to say line breeding. Though it’s true that there is usually some selection pressure, whether deliberate or not.
Also the idea that any landrace is locked into its current genetic makeup for all time is incorrect, as there is commonly external gene flow into existing crops, either deliberately or unintentionally.
They are living evolving organisms, not fossilized museum exhibits forever fixed in time.

There also seems to be confusion between heterozygous and homogeneous when they are not necessarily the same, i.e. an F1 for example is said to be both heterozygous AND homogenous. In my experience, landrace varieties when grown in large numbers have a mean, they have lots of common traits, but also significant variation between plants. In a perfect world will not find this same thing if you grow lots of an IBL for example, now you may find significant variations in a lot of modern hybrids, but they will tend to have less of a definable mean.

Another point is that it is extremely common in various food crops such as rice, wheat and other grains to have severe genetic bottlenecks due to the extreme selection pressures, and so breeding programs will often look to landrace types in order to try and breed in some of their features in order to improve the commercial varieties for any number of attributes.
It is universally accepted that this is a long, arduous and frequently cost prohibitive process with no guarantee of success, otherwise we wouldn’t have the problem of such genetic bottlenecks rendering our food crops vulnerable to disease, intolerant to variable climatic conditions, reliance of external inputs for consistent yields etc.

Also consider that as soon as you take a landrace out of the environment it has evolved in, or start to apply selection pressure, it is no longer a real landrace, merely a selection made from a land race.

6 Likes

im down to a few last nh x c5 mango ,
some had to go early due to the poor conditions , ie rain causing a bit of mold in places where there was damage from caterpillars ,
but the rain has gone , so the last ones can take it easy , i probably wont water them though ,
they can survive quite a while with whats in the ground , despite it seeming quite dry now ,
they are definitely pumping out some resin ,
its wet resin , wet to touch , a little greasy …

17 Likes

We still going strong over here on the west!

No tropical or sub-tropical climate here just a bit of plastic glass and some N7 ingenuity!

Greenhouse life is the best!

SSSTN

Question for fellow greenhouse grower Wal re potency… Do you think plants need direct sunlight when possible on a nice sunny day(~23c here)? Or it’s fine to leave them behind glass 100% of the time?

10 Likes

mmm im sure it wont hurt them just to stay behind the glass ,
but i expect they would enjoy the sunshine too man ,
we are not noticing any real difference between the ones we had outside ,
or in the greenhouse , except the lack of rain on the green house ones has them looking a bit better and not suffering as many issues ,
i think the green house plastic i have , solar weave , blocks out a little of the uv ,
not too much though …
maybe u need to do a side by side test run next season to see mate …

4 Likes

If it’s a two month thing, I suppose I can live with that. First things first is to get rid of all the multi colored phlegm in my head and lungs.

1 Like

All science starts with an opinion.
Scientific opinion(s) can be “partial, temporally contingent, conflicting, and uncertain” so that there may be no accepted consensus for a particular situation. In other circumstances, a particular scientific opinion may be at odds with consensus.

Also, one could argue that hypothesizing about something is just an educated opinion before proving a theory. the science behind where our opinions comes from is also a type of science
And one more example of opinion in science would be in the many scientific magazines or websites that are filled with scientific opinion pieces like the sites listed below.

https://www.science.org/commentary/opinion

Anot trying to argue just pointing out that opinion does play a role in scientific discovery.

2 Likes

You have feral populations that in most cases had some domestication before they became wild then had zero selection, and then you have what some call Land race or Heirloom varieties that have been farmed and domesticated for 100s if not 1000s of years. Those plants are what we call Land Races or Heirloom varieties.

Not sure why people think a domesticated cannabis crop needs to be open pollinated.

MJ Botany.

MJ Botany.

4 Likes

I kinda feel like that was a sales tactic, to convince people to buy his $200 bag o seeds and not get too bummed when most of them came out lacking :joy::rofl:

2 Likes