Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 2)

Yeah, but not 4 plants at a time in a little closet. Hundreds to thousands in an open field, with no means of controlling pollenation. I don’t know why you have to be so stubborn on this point hempy, you’re just wrong :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Landrace= survival of the fittest,if they genetically bred true and were all similar, then environmental pressures would eventually eliminate the plant,which it does to many that are genetically similar. The ones that are not as diverse perish. It is this genetic diversity that enables some of the plants to adapt and survive the vast pressures on it in it’s native area . They do this by absorbing each others genetics to increase their defence arsenal so it benefits the plants to have as much different genetic diversity as possible to combat the different pressures. Inbreed plants and don’t introduce any new stock and see how weak they become.It is not a matter of opinion,it’s the way it is.

5 Likes

If we’re talking true breeding then I think the question is true breeding for what? What specific traits.
You can breed plants to consistently give purple offspring.
But your never going to breed a plant to throw the exact version of itself to the next generation. Like was already stated that’s why we clone.
Also personal experience is not the same as going through the scientific method.

4 Likes

You still have to factor in combining ability,the selection chosen may not pass on the trait/traits you aim for but an open pollination may give you that in some offsprings.

2 Likes

Marijuana Botany came out in 1981. Right around the time the first genomics company was founded. I wouldn’t use that as any reference to genetics. Just what it says really doesn’t even make sense.

“a pair of genes are equal in their effect upon phenotype.” Most of the plants will have similar genes in a population but express differently based on a lot of things that they didn’t even know at the time (epigenetics.) It is a bro science book… Don’t get me wrong, I admire and like the author and think he is one of the best but it is still bro science… “handed down history.”

There’s a ton of modern research now into cannabis genetics and at least 15 genomes have been sequenced. If you want to get into it then i’m sure you could find the genes that express certain things but that is in its early stages.Check out this thread…

and this

5 Likes

Tom has said the “5% comment” is not his, he was repeating Sam “Bruttally honest description” and
“The honesty turns some folk off, but not me” -Tom

HERE is SAMS “brutal honesty” that Tom is often blamed for, check the bottom for the % (percentages)

And Tom advice on hunting them…

Hapi Haze growing

18 Likes

Oh yeah I’m a weed nerd too. Read all that stuff before more than once. Are the percentages really that different from other varieties? I mean how many times have you grown out 10 or 20 seeds to only find one or two keepers? It happens to me regularly I don’t know about you. This just seems like a weak argument to not grow Haze. If you keep them small you can easily fit 25 plants on a 4x4 table. Just take cuts off every plant and when you find some keepers the selection work is basically done. This reluctance to even try out Haze says more about the ability of the grower than it does to the quality of the genetics.

6 Likes

I start plants early in a south facing window in early spring. They get full sun and do fine there but I do notice some improvement when I can set them outside where they are not behind glass. :grin: :rainbow:

2 Likes

Ohaze

17 Likes

That appears to be a post by oldtimer1, actually. He quoted an old positronics catalogue but it looks as if the 4-5% comment was ot1’s, added after the quote :eyes:

3 Likes

Your right.
This could lead to a Rabbit hole. But let me try to clarify. ANYONE with better information PLEASE jump in and correct me or clarify. Just a couple of points that I come to understand to be true, but if information changes or update, so will I.

1. Sam and Wernard Bruining use to be room mates, and Wernard got seed stock from Sam and sold at Positronics

2. Tom points out that the stock he bought from positronics was in 94, before the dilution to the OH in 96
    94 seedlist

Tom then points out the Seed list from 96, to his disliking.

Tom:“Told told everyone I picked up from Posi in 96 when clowns like him worked there and had hardons for crossing out from narrow pools, thats a lie, got it in 94 before all that crap ensued, it came from Sam and he has said as much”

Tom has said “Sam has released several variations labeled “Original haze”. The stuff Nevil got I believe to be colubian, the stuff Positronics and TFD was heavy Thai”

So chain of Command…Sam to…Wernard… Positronics (94 thai, 5% stock)…to Tom Hill
The point of the “Seeds list” from 94, Regardless, even without OT1 writing

The original Positronics Seeds list says" APPROX 5 %-10% of plants are special, the rest just so-so 75% of plants are female." thats the first time I’ve seen the 5% added was on seedlist
So Tom did not assign the “5%” label on the seeds, he just pointed out the 5% stock he had and reproduced in 2023 snowstorm.
.The rabbit hole is deep, who is Wernard Bruining?
whaen did he work there? when did he know Sam etc…Information is all over IC and other platforms, I just dont have time today to compile.
If I missed anything, or anything should be added by ANYONE, please do
Hapi haze growing

10 Likes

Whether or not Sam said 5% doesn’t really change the fact that these numbers basically apply to finding EXCEPTIONAL stock for any given line

7 Likes

Exactly! This isn’t some exclusive thing with just Haze genetics. It’s the reason why we need large populations to select from no matter what you’re breeding with. Yes you can find some good phenotypes in a smaller group but you don’t know what you’re missing out on that could have better potential. It’s always been a numbers game and if you say it’s not you’re not informed on the subject matter. Universities doing plant research will grow half a million plants to find one or two that will make a new variety.

8 Likes

100% true username,
plus its maths , doesnt necessarily mean u have to grow 100 of them ,
u could get one of those in the first seed u crack , or the 21st etc ,
or it may mean 95% are quite good , and 5% are exceptional ,
it wont mean 95% are shit and 5% are exceptional ,
some folks seem to think that though …

9 Likes

JMO ,but if you can find 5% representation in a seed batch of 100 that actually has the claimed rip your head off effects, I’d say that’s a fantastic seed batch. Where else will one find that?

2 Likes

As a youngster smoking Thai sticks I can say that 100% of them were excellent. Never had one that was a dud, or hay. I’m sure there were some that were more excellent than others, but from the imports here they all seemed consistent. I doubt the Thai’s were using clones. Not trying to start arguments, just food for thought.

If I was wanting to sample Tom’s genetics I’d be more inclined to go with hybrids of those 5%ers that someone else has already found.

3 Likes

Rob Clark quoted Luther Burbank in MJ botany.

Luther Burbank was an American botanist, horticulturist and pioneer in agricultural science. He developed more than 800 strains and varieties of plants over his 55-year career. Burbank’s developments included those of fruits, flowers, grains, grasses, and vegetables. He developed a spineless cactus and the plumcot.

1 Like

What you’re describing is a feral population.

1 Like

He is a botanist and he is not a molecular biologist.

I saw this on his wikipedia page

1 Like

You can avoid this stuff by promoting stuff you like with examples of why you like it. This way you’ll find like minded people making plant choices for the same reasons you do and likely have some common ground. That’s why I’m on a cannabis forum, looking for common ground and improving plants based on selection with folks selecting for similar traits. .

5 Likes