Addicted to HAZE - Haze only thread (Part 2)

JJ’s Nigerian is the first make of JJ’s using the Nigerian Silk Clone only pollinated by the most haze of Nevil’s 5haze pre 90. Very old. The male that makes these would be 36 yrs old original pack.

About 3/4 of everything that has ranked at piffcon the last 3 years is all 3-5 generations down the line from JJ’s selection this make.

My buddy got one to germinate. This would be a sibling of JJ’s selection. I haven’t seen or heard of these being around for 5-10 years…longer. it just pollinated the Bandaid 7 cut. The CBH cut was from the 90’s and the A5t as well. It’s a 3 way early 90’s 5haze.

It also got on 2 of my favorite of the last 140 Alpine Haze and 2 of the original Nigerian Haze.

The remaining JJ’s Nigerian F1 are getting germinated this week

3405 3408

27 Likes

Dwight Diotta,

Nevil’s lifelong friend hunted the largest collection of Outback Haze. Nevil’s favorite of his final make.

Of those one of Dwight’s favorites was his #8

We talked about it for a couple years and I finally got him the pollen of Silk S. This was the highest ranking Ocimene, overall terps and CBG for 2 years of Piffcon. Not sure on this year. It’s also the parent of Alpine 1.0 which is my favorite haze line to date for effect and flavor.

Collectively this make represents 122 plant selection of Nevil then ~45 to arrive at Dwight’s #8. I found the Silk S in 88, but it had probably been 400-500 haze I didn’t keep till finding that one

I am relieved this pairing is preserved.

39 Likes

That looks dynamite, Stone.

2 Likes

That sounds absolutely mythical :man_mage:

4 Likes

You can’t make a landrace in a cupboard. No matter how much one tries to flog a dead horse.

Thank you both! I am very excited about these. It is about 5 years of hunting and collecting. Maybe 1500 haze plants with the backdrop of many more before finding much .

Along with the other collaborators I am confident this the parents make it the rarest haze collections I am aware of.

I had been looking for some of these for many years. It all came together.

I will be putting together a limited collection in July that will include the best of everything I have done to date. No holding back😅

19 Likes

You should research more and argue less, Slain.

Cannabis is one of the oldest domesticated plants, and current feral populations originate from domesticated crops. Land races or Heirloom varieties are and have always been domesticated crops from a set area.

4 Likes

Correcting the record is not arguing, it’s simply pointing out established orthodoxy as opposed to bro science. A feral population has zero artificial selection pressure, a land race does. In the absence of external gene flow both populations will eventually reach an equilibrium. Neither population will be homozygous . It’s just botany 101.

4 Likes

A few of you might find this interesting; from Angus of the Real Seed Company.
Edit: there’s a 3 hour podcast on that page as well if anyone wants a deep dive into the subject. I consider Angus as an authority on this, although he can rub people up the wrong way at times.

7 Likes

Brilliant. Thanks.

1 Like

Good share mate thanks

1 Like

What would you describe a Panama red as if it produced visibly uniform plants that all gave a consistent type of high, and the plants all had red flowers ?

Would you describe it as homozygous or heterozygous ?

2 Likes

@hempy Wouldn’t you have to grow it out for a few generations to find out? You can’t just look at a genotype to know something like that

1 Like

Why would you need to grow it out for a few generations to know if it was homozygous or heterozygous ?

2 Likes

Not a land race but an heirloom. If the population of them is growing in a local area over a long period of time by farmers who keep their seeds AND there is enough of a population to sustain their genetic diversity then it’s a landrace. If you apply selection pressure by line breeding then you are reducing the amount of heterozygous alleles because you are raising the statistical probability that both parents will have the same alleles at the same locus. In doing so, you are reducing the adaptability of the genome to environmental stress. It is no longer a landrace, and can then be described as an heirloom. If it is further line breed then eventually you arrive at a selected cultivar, if you intensively inbreed , then eventually you end up with an IBL, where you have uniformly heterozygous alleles for the traits of interest. This does not mean that you will necessarily end up with plants that are homogeneous. Morphological traits are notoriously difficult to get to the point of being homogeneous, and that is especially the case when the genome of cannabis is so varied. Think about how you define ‘traits’, when you compare the clumsy definitions most weed breeders use, its NOTHING like the amount of cellular level trait definition used by professional food crop breeders for example, and so we collectively have applied a medium amount of selection pressure in comparison, resulting in a widely varying genome in cannabis in general.

FWIW hempy, I’m not trying to be difficult here, just the systems engineer in me demands precision lol.

1 Like

Because in order to know where the different alleles are on the genes you have to reproduce and grow out the plants. Otherwise it’s just a guess

1 Like

To establish that a trait does in fact breed true between generations, consistently. Field trials in other words.

3 Likes

Sam_Skunkman said 10%

It’s in that handwritten catalog in the early Adam days …

Also more interesting is Sam’s Acapulco gold listing …

Well Sam says he never sold seeds he didn’t make but in his own handwritten catalog he suggests otherwise!

2 Likes

There is no other way to know what is in the genetics. There no test for that. How else would you know if a gene is recessive or dominant?

1 Like

Whenever people talk about dominant and recessive gened or traits it’s clear they have no clue what goes on at the actual molecular level!

Dominant and recessive genes are total “bro” science!

1 Like