Steam Humidification

During the winter here, it’s is cold and dry. Not so much in the house, although it’s is 68* and 40%, but mostly in my tent. Humidity during the days right before I water is getting down into the 30s. I’ve used a cool mist humidifier but this is actually and issue. At Night the temps drop and humidity spikes, the cool humidifier only makes it worse… I have constant low speed ventilation, so the tent doesn’t hold much different of the environment I put in it, so I’m adding a lung room.

Anyways… Adding heat and humidity would be beneficial for my vegging plants, does anyone use this method of humidification? If so, what do you use? I’d love it to come in under $100, ideally cheaper and or self made. I don’t mind working with electronics, but I’m struggling to figure a way that’s relatively fail-safe.

4 Likes

My humidity is super low too…I’m scared to run more equipment, as I’m almost maxed out. I just threw in another 20 clones and humidity now sits 40-50%…still not great.
Hope someone can give you some ideas.

5 Likes

Same situation here, but with the air just blowing into the room and the door is closed, the heat and humidity built up to tropical levels, then at night it just spikes. I’m about to just cut a small hole through the closet wall into the closet of the next room and vent it all through there, but then I’m afraid it’ll be too cool and dry :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

I have considered metering the airflow, but no good way to.

3 Likes

I’ve never had any trouble with low humidity. Currently it’s winter and my sensor reads 38%. I see no reason to fix this. The plants are doing just fine.

Don’t over think it. Pretty close is just fine. If it was 20% I might try to rig something.

If I were cloning I’d probably use a dome but that’s the only change id make.

Also my room gets as cold as 16C-18C and as hot as 28C on a regular basis. I have no way to fix this and so have to live with it. No big deal.

Life finds a way.

All the best.

7 Likes

I also deal with very low humidity . I have actually just learned to accept it. I have a mobile electric oil space heater I run outside my flowering tent during lights off and that combined with my constant exhausting keeps the humidity under 90 during lights off.
As for the low humidity most of my girls don’t seem to care and I remind myself it is much much better then having the opposite problem lol

4 Likes

I ask more out of desire than necessity, yes.

Although I do wonder if the question is HOW but is it worthwhile… in this case yes. During the winter heat and moisture can totally be “wasted” and dumped into my basement. It’s not going to cause issue until all this snow melts. Our indoor comfort would improve too, but it’s not a priority as I prefer it dryer anyways. This would be for a self-use grow so I’m not looking to make money, just not hemorrhage it.

I would say, the low humidity hasn’t been an issue, except for my seedlings. I just want to give myself another element of climate control.

2 Likes

Hey go for it man.

There are lots of reasons why you might want to modify your environment.

I bought a big ass dehumidifier but I don’t use it anymore because the difference was negligible and it ran 5amps (which is more than my whole grow).

I could get a heater for night and an AC for the daytime but by then my whole rooon would be full of gear.

Just don’t worry about a few degrees is my
point.

All the best.

3 Likes

Small pond fogger in a 5 gal pail with a computer fan to blow the humidity out .google homemade humidifier

5 Likes

In this case I’m speaking to maybe 20% difference. The heat is more a means to an end… albeit a happy one. I don’t know 100% my setup will work for younger plants, the humidity then was 50-60% in the house, and a little higher in the tent.

I’m trying to setup a second tent, I’ve figured I can plant about once or twice a month that way, and stay in my state limit. Gives certain household members less reason to complain.
But I will have to see what the tent environment looks if the tent ever arrives.

They’ll be under fluorescent tubes, and not a lot of them. So I worry cool mist will see temps plummet. I can add a space heater, but this is power I don’t want to use if I don’t have to. Gas is cheaper here to heat the house.

1 Like

I’m fighting low(ish) humidity too. My plan this winter is to run 3x 3 Gal cloth pots in 14" saucers (which I’m bottom watering) in order to help bump up the humidity.

I also have a couple 1020 trays from which I’m bottom watering 10x 1/2 Gal pots.
Once I got the least amount of air being exhausted (Infinity controller) I was getting 12~15% boost from the cloth pots and about another 10% boost from the 1020’s.

I am going through 2~3 gallons of water a day doing that but I got 35% (house ambient) in the lung room and 55~60% in the tent :+1:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

I use a cool.mist humidifier from wally world $30 keeps me at about 50 to 55 rh

They also heatvregular humidifiers thatvwill throw warm mist about the same price

3 Likes

I hand noticed that, the 1 gal pots in 12” saucers bottom watered increased humidity 10% from the room. Conveniently 3 gal pots in 12” saucers doesn’t, so when I transplanted to flower I “turned off” the extra humidity. I have them in 4 in 3 gal pots, maybe I should move up to 14” saucers… would cost <$10 to test so worth a shot.

I get nervous about leaving standing water around though. Haven’t figured out how to keep biological life away, short of spending cash on an air filter, which is on my list of to-do’s but not high up.

2 Likes

The standing water evaporates after 12 hrs. or so.
I noticed some ‘white fuzzies’ starting on the cloth pots so I sprayed that down with some 50ppm bleach mix.

@potdaddy4x4, are you running regular water or distilled with the cool mist humidifier?

Cheers
G

3 Likes

ii made a emergency kinda humidifier out of those little ultrasonic fog devices and a bucket. Bought mine before covid was 9.99

6 Likes

This is my current plan if I can’t get something hot. Which… I don’t know. Seems as easy as an immersion heater. Either way, I have a 55 gal trash can I can use for it, which will also feed the Tropf-Blumat watering carrots. I just need to attach a duct to it to pull air through. I worry about how cold it might get though. Might just wait until I can seal the lung room, and humidify it with the fogger in my water tank.

Distilled rodi

2 Likes

Hi @Who,
How much power does that rig pull?
From what I remember about piezoelectric elements it should be efficient.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

That makes sense, my wife warned me off one because she heard they leave white powder. I figured it was because folks were using tap water instead of distilled.

Thanx & Cheers
G

1 Like

I have this issue with mine, just hard water deposits indeed.

1 Like