Afghaniganza 5: Auto Cherry Queen

As for the SSC…doesn’t seem like much you can do…just grows like that haha. She just likes to be purple and claw-leaved. She’ll be like that and the random plant next to it is greener than kermit’s ass haha. I took her at 75 last time could have easily done 85 if you wanted.

CQ looking beautiful…no she isn’t shy about nutrients. She’ll fade hard even with normal feeds. Smoking some old cured buds recently…goes golden color and loses a bit of the hippie funk, but the lemon rind and exotic spice get stronger…extremely pleasant. Very much looking forward to crossing it to the (Golden Goat x Scott’s OG). Reduce leafiness, increase stretch, get the buds even bigger and a touch more “modern”.

4 Likes

The orange/brown spots that develop yelling around the area is definitely Ca deficiency?

1 Like

Spots, necrosis at the top. Calcium is an immobile nutrient so usual when I see deficiency showing up in the top leaves, calcium is my first thought. Most other macros/secondary (N,P,K,Mg) are mobile and will cause problems in lower leaves.

6 Likes

A couple more shots of the SSC @vernal cut getting chonky. This thing is going to be quite a producer. I’m having to tie up branches for bud weight.

15 Likes

Very nice!!! Love it when ya gotta stake and/or tie up the plants from weight :v::v:

2 Likes

What day is she at? Purples near the end past 11 weeks, and that metallic-dryer sheet note you’re probably smelling is gonna turn catpissy/musty/churchy as it gets near the end and dries. Leaves are gonna crispify and look bad but don’t sweat it. Must be a cough trait because the MNC does the same thing.

3 Likes

I think they’re about 7 or 8 weeks by now. I lost track. :sweat_smile:

The cherry queen looks like it’s getting close to finishing up in maybe another week. If yours went ~9 weeks from seed, then that’d be about right.

4 Likes

What is the SSC again? She’s getting some personality! I like the bud structure.

1 Like

@GMan I’m liking the bud structure too, that main cola is definitely some top heavy stuff

2 Likes

I’m loving this project, very interesting. Having bred a few autos from scratch myself, I might have some good news for you on your quest.

If you get your cherry queen to f3-f4 and stable for the day neutral trait and decide to backcross to the clone or original parental stock, you might get lucky and find between 25%-50% autoflowering plants in the bx f1 as opposed to having to breed towards the f2 before seeing them.
It seems the auto trait is not as recessive in the backcross…atleast in my experience.

Now this is merely my observation with my auto godzilla grape line and I haven’t attempted this with any other lines as of yet…maybe I just got lucky.
Just some food for thought.
Maybe it helps, maybe not.
Regardless I wish you the best of luck and
Good wishes on your path…
I’ll be following along.

5 Likes

That’s really interesting… I’ve never heard of that before. Have you tried it? Seems like a nice shortcut.

3 Likes

FWIW I didn’t notice any auto traits in the CQ line.

Fast, really fast for one plant especially, but didn’t flower at 18/6 even clones.

6 Likes

Yes…I did this along time ago in an attempt to create a better auto…around a decade ago, when autos weren’t as advanced and accepted as they are now.

I was just trying to create something better and further away from the lowryder genepool, while keeping the day neutral flowering trait and at the same time creating an autoflowering variation of the Godzilla grape photoperiod.

Godzilla grape#5 is Godbud x Legends ultimate indica.

So first I created the auto godzilla using smoke-a-lot seed company’s Godzilla grape #5 photoperiod female and lowlife seeds Auto Ak47 male and then inbred to day neutral at F3.

Then I grew out more photoperiod godzilla grape seeds and pollinated them using males from the auto godzilla I had previously just created.

Instead of finding all photoperiods in the bxf1 as I had expected with the auto trait being recessive, I found roughly 40-50% of the plants were autos…
which was a surprise and a great savings on time and resources.

5 Likes

Cherry Chop @vernal cut

First with the ugly leaves…

This calcium hose beast really went nuts with a few weeks left in flower. I really needed to crank her up in EC, but I don’t think the other plants would have tolerated it. No bigs though, what are fan leaves for amirite? :joy:

I cut away a bunch of fans to get a look for the first time. I haven’t trimmed a leaf since I started. This girl is a spitting image of her mom. A couple nanners right at the end, and the distinctive look of dark sugar leaves and light lime green calyxes. The smell is the same – not the cherry pheno, which finished a bit earlier. I didn’t like that one as much. These buds are just super similar to the ones on the mom.

Density is high, resin is great, smell is great, spices and a little funky. Not a bit of botrytis on the main cola either. Fortunately, it looks like the Cannabiogen Durban pollen took off of some I had saved from a really great male. So there are going to be quite a few “DurbyQueen” seeds. Cannabiogen’s Durban is a really high yielding, resinous, spicy and strong sativa… mine weren’t like the more hybrid looking Durbans, but airy (very sativa) with good size calyxes.

That cross is going to be nuts… especially for yield. I’m thinking about packing out a tent and taking cuts. Durban and Afghan are a pretty classic combo and both sides of this equation are stellar.

13 Likes

Also, I’m about to break my arm patting myself on the back, but I looked back at when I collected that Durban pollen and it was September 2019. I think that’s viability for 1 year 8 months, which is the longest I’ve ever attempted.

Dry that shit well, seal it in a heat seal bag, purged of air, toss it in the freezer and that shit lasts.

13 Likes

Helllll yes. Look at that monster. Mine didn’t get botrytis either. Must be resistant with those colas.

Apparently we have similar taste if we picked the same mother haha.

Shit looks like an old catalog Afghani. Love it. Glad you like it too. Keeping it as a mother kind of sucks, just a hedgelike pile of nodes lol.

Man confirmed pollen viability for near 2 years. Even better. Congrats. I look forward to trying some of the “DurbyQueen”.

8 Likes

Lmaoo. I’m about to break your back patting you on the back :laughing: awesome update and that must be some super pollen too. You preserved it well.

Kinda random, but these lyrics went through my head when I read that part :joy:
roll-that-shit-light-that-shit-hit-that-shit-hold-45323322

Dry that shit, seal that shit, purge that shit, toss that shit, in the freezer, yo, so the shit can last long, bro

6 Likes

:joy: :joy: :+1:

@vernal I’ll definitely sling a grip your way. Even better is the Durbans from cbg were F5, so it’ll make a nice F1. I feel like the yields are going to be off the charts with the density of this girl and the big buds on both sides.

Let me dig up some pictures of the CQ F1 mom buds for a side by side. It’s like a flashback for me.

9 Likes

Two different plants, but which is which?? :thinking:

5 Likes

The non-sequitur

Here’s the Super Silver Cough @vernal cut still humping it out in the fungus gnat playground. Very fat.

11 Likes