African landraces and heirloom thread

Ancestral skunk x Turkish hash plant 25 days above ground.

11 Likes

Not that I’m aware of, you should definitely start one though! :slight_smile:

Oh wow! That is an amazing paper and very interesting, I’ve also seen/heard of them using a goats stomach for cheese making and I always wondered how exactly? Well now I know :slight_smile: it’s a microbial reaction! Fantastic :slight_smile: thanks bro

1 Like

I will start one later today or tomorrow, want to collect some links before I do. Seems like there’s a lot of interest, knowledge, and experience here and we could all work together to learn more about cannabis fermentation. There’s a lot of different cannabis ferments (both traditional and experimental) aside from cob curing that it would be nice to be able to discuss in another thread so this one can stay focused on African landraces / heirlooms and the culture / practices around them. I recommend anyone interested in learning more about fermentation / microbiology to read Sandor Katz’s The Art of Fermentation, an invaluable resource with a lot of info on traditional ferments as food preservation technologies.

3 Likes

Some highland durban from the landrace team.

20 Likes

As a contribution to the start of a Thread, here is one modern method that I have followed and had success with.

Great idea, I am Cobbing half of my Grows this Summer with this method.

16 Likes

if you’re interested in taking a deep dive into the fermentation, i invite you to check out the icmag thread from tangwena on the malawi style cobbing - it’s like a masterclass and if you have any questions, there are cobbing disciples ready to respond :pray:

8 Likes

That’s where I learned about it, but I need to read more of it and work on my process since most of cobs were using cured bud and higher % of non-acidic cannabinoids as a starting material and I had mixed success. I want to do it properly this year with my autoflowers (Moroccan Beldia Kif, LSD, Top Gun, Valley of Pines CBDV) that will finish in August with the sun drying step at the beginning. I have been hesitant about making cob from the flower that finishes in November outdoors because of the mold risk and outdoor microbiome at that time - perhaps this is why hash is more favored as fermented preservation method in cold temperate climates since the higher resin concentration is a better microbial growth regulator?

I will definitely bookmark and follow that OG thread you linked, thank you! Looks like there’s already a cob thread here, so I will make a general cannabis fermentation thread.

4 Likes

That sous-vweed approach is incredible. The potential to dial in a consistent cob or similarly fermented product and the potential to play around with the variables to see the possibilities is so cool. A portable terroir tool!

Just had the most random thought, but when my uncle mentioned the wacky weed he got to try he said the guy who had it, he had given some guy hitchhiking a ride and upon getting the dude to his destination he was emphatic that my uncle wait for him to run up and grab him something to say thanks for the lift. He brought out what he says was some weed wrapped in tinfoil and all it was was little black crumbled up bits. It was surely shaved or broken up pieces of a fermented cob.

I wonder what the approximate temperature a car gets here in the summer and how closely that temperature resembles fermentation environments across traditional cultivation regions in Africa. Sous Vide, cobbing, car weed. It’s all fermenting!

Holy shit. Ok, hear me out. Is that possibly why the best of the best long flowering tropical types really start to shine with these super controlled cures of up to and over one year? Could it be that some actually start to slowly ferment, and those are the ones that end up shining? Much love

8 Likes

It would likely get hot enough in a closed car in the summer for the sweat stage of the ferment.

Controlled aging even without fermentation has been known to increase the potency of cannabis. I know someone who has been deliberately aging their cannabis in jars for years as an experiment. I have had not had much experience with aged bud but the one time I have tried it it felt distinct from a standard D9 heavy cannabis high, mellower and stronger while not having the sedation that comes from high CBN.

This article talks about how CBD can degrade/isomerize into more active compounds under certain conditions, similar processes are likely happening with these ferment / long cure / aging techniques to all of the other cannabinoids.

CBD hydroxyquinone photo-isomerises to a highly reactive intermediate
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-023-33815-7

I will try to get that cannabis ferment thread created this afternoon so we can continue this conversation there.

7 Likes

With some of my search terms I’m coming across recent research where labs are supposedly synthesizing cannabinoids with yeast fermentation. Could that be happening naturally on these fermented plants too?

It’s not my intention to be taking things off topic, though since these are aspects of traditional cultivation and curing of African cannabis I think it’s ok in here too? I apologize if my comments are taking things too off topic.

Much love

5 Likes

Sous vide all day. Great for decarboxylating as well!

5 Likes

No apologies needed, good conversation and happy to find others interested in the topic. I am new here and I just wanted to make sure I don’t clutter up a thread, and cannabis fermentation is something I could talk about all day. My hypothesis is compatible bacterial and fungal enzymes are making changes to the cannabinoids/terpenes, combined with the fermentation conditions (acids / pH, alcohols, reactive terpenes(solvents), water levels, oxygen levels, temperature, UV light) present in the fermentation environment also making changes to cannabinoid/terpenes.

As cool as it would be for cannabinoid producing yeasts to live on cannabis buds, it is most likely not what’s happening here. Yeast populations are unlikely to develop the ability to synthesize cannabinoids through spontaneous mutation or horizontal gene transfer in a natural environment, which is why CRISPR is used to make yeast strains that can be cloned and used for industrial production of different compounds.

EDIT: here’s the thread, did not populate with links but I wanted to get it started:

8 Likes

Only been drying a few days but seeds were dropping out all over floor so just went ahead and gently tapped each branch on side of crate till the majority were out.Worked a charm.

Nice and frosty
Still very fresh but smells still sour fruity//floral

Going to try cobbing half and will keep the other half to cure a few months.
My other two plants seem to also be nicely seeded from the pollen I applied but the one seems like it may be putting out some male flowers -Im unsure if its just the change in light hours after the solstice or possibly from a light feeding I gave them.
Could also just be the genetics.

22 Likes

The evidence is that malawi gold miners were going down to south africa and working the mines from nineteen forty to nineteen eighty. Would you bring your favorite weed with you? I would
It’s pretty well known that swazi gold is a mix of swazI and Malawi. That’s where the “gold” moniker came from. South africa didn’t have any strains known as gold

10 Likes

Looks beautiful! Hope it smokes well for you!

4 Likes

we should make a World Map one day, where we insert the most authentic pictures from strains found at each region. And then make diferent layers beneath the Pictures,

• a Elevation layer ,
  • a night Temp./day Temp. Layer
  • a “suspected international Trades” Layer (past 50 / 100 / 200 years…)

and so forth.

So, and then we check…
It would be dooable in a simple Paint programm, just need to make a supersized Size, so we can insert all pics…

It would be cool to demonstrate the newbies what were talking about.

10 Likes

This is shear Genius ! :slight_smile: Absolutely Brilliant idea bro start out way back as old as me can we can docu pure, hybrid , hybrid from where ? All that:) brilliant bro! For real thanks @romanoweed

8 Likes

Here is the article on Malawi black I mentioned a few posts back.

20 Likes

Two Beldia’s - one pot…

10 Likes

I just pollinated some of the lower branches of my Beldia Kif female with the first bit of pollen from the Ethiopian Highlands male posted upthread. I had moved the male from where he was starting to flower under an 11-13 light cycle indoors into the fabric living soil bed and did some pruning so there was one main flowering stalk that the plant was devoting it energy towards. It also made the pollen easier to monitor. Going to let the male flower for a little while longer before revegging. So far so good :grin:

I’m hoping for a few hundred seeds, enough for a 50 plant phenotype selection run next year, and to give some away to those who want them for next summer. Will post some pictures here when seeds start forming.

6 Likes