Agent Orange/Cuvée/SledDawg ScrOG

What’s up everyone! Decided to attempt to finally keep a proper diary on here, and figured my first attempt at a scrog would be fitting. Current setup is Agent Orange (OV dom.) Cuvée (50/50) and Sled Dawg (White Dawg dom.), under a rapidled onyx panel in a 2x2.5 gorilla. Not much, I know, but it’s enough to keep me humbly satisfied. One day maybe I’ll have a nice open room or even an outdoor plot. But for now I work with what I have and I do so happily. This being my first scrog, and although I’ve done extensive reading on the method for years, any tips or advice will be welcomed. I have yet to take clones, so the frame is a little more full than it will be in a day or two. Plan on flipping in about a day. The frame is literally resting on the canopy, pushed down a bit. If this is detrimental to keeping the level even, and if anyone else thinks the plants will just push the frame up please chime in! Like I said open discussion is invited.
Thanks for stopping by!
Zoo

15 Likes

Ive seen you around and in the shadows. Nice clean operation your running. I’ll be following along, happily, to pick up some pointers for when I start to run in the same SOG/SCROG style.

I think the screen resting on top of the plants unsupported will be fine as long as it doesn’t weigh a lot/too much. Cannabis is strong. Check on them in a few hours just to make sure no major stress has happened, but really, the weight should probably help make them stronger.

2 Likes

rusty shackleford uses chicken wire on the canopy to limit stretch during flip

2 Likes

Tried that… it gets too hot under hps… would need to be in some plastic material to be good…
Ds

2 Likes

Damn, as in the wire was getting too hot? That doesn’t sound very safe.

I’m thinking to rig some PVC into same box dimensions then use green flexible garden wire to make the net. Stuffs pretty inexpensive, durable and shouldn’t hurt stalks. Nylon cord would have been a first choice, but not so much if it would just melt. That would suck.

i used trellis netting from amazon and zip tied it to the 4 poles of my tent. 2"x2" plastic trellis for the first row and have 4"x4" squares nylon or something for the 2nd row

2 Likes

Thanks for the support everyone! A few days later, I’ve done extensive pruning and took cuts to basically bring it back to the original main colas, (4 on cuvee and sleddawg, 8 on agent O), and the screen has stayed at the same height and the ladies are reacting really well and healthily. Seems the weight of the screen frame is just enough to steady itself on top of the canopy without breaking any stems. Over the next couple weeks I plan on weaving the mains through the screen while extending the immediate lowers outward to fill in the squares in the rows next to them in a grid pattern.

6 Likes

Nice setup, how do you like the agent orange?
I had a nice pheno but unfortunetly I put my mother in flowering and didn’t take a clone so I don’t have it anymore. Wasn’t my favourite but was still very good, strong orange/fuel odor.

2 Likes

I love it so much dude, soo much.
I grew out Jillybean long time ago and had the marmalade pheno (orange velvet dom) and the plant damn near saved my life that winter. Unbelievable mood lifter for me. So I hunted a pack of agent to find a reallyyy orange girl and have harvested her twice so far. I’m a big fan of orange terps as they work harmoniously with my mind and body effect-wise.
As for the plant’s structure she’s a beast. A little fragile on the stem sometimes she likes to split but she’s so strong she heals no problem with knuckles.
Unreal stacking and she’s doing great in the scrog setup right now. She responds quickly. Only negative is the stretch, this girl likes to double her height, a trait presumably attributed to the orange velvet. Definitely wait on chop as long as you feel necessary cause she puts on weight like crazy the last week or so starting near day 55.
The bud, top notch flavor. Pure orange taste and smell, to the point where it almost doesn’t smell like weed. I’ll be using her as a mother in my first personal chucking projects. Got some good plans with really unique strains. TGA is definitely where it’s at for unique flavors.
The effect is really uplifting and happy. I don’t get too dragged down either and she’s my favorite daytime smoke.

1 Like

My first indoor grow was a scrog with Joey Weeds C99 f2s, single plant under a 400W MH deluxe ( more orange and red) 200+ g. You’re more than on your way to success

1 Like

UPDATE:
Day 19
Finished tucking branches a few days ago and everything has finished out the stretch pretty nicely. I’m still looking for AO to stretch a little more over the next two days, but I think I managed to keep her on level as much as I could with the other two smaller cultivars.
Going forward I’m just taking out the rest of the fan leaves that get in the way. Some side fans I leave a little longer but have heard to just get rid of them in a scrog. Looking forward to seeing the girls fill out!

2 Likes

End of Week 4 Update:

I believe I’m just about ready to sit back and watch the girls do their thing. I’ll probably thin her out once more depending on how I feel (usually the case, “depends how I feel at the time” haha).
I’ve heard two basic schools of thought on the matter of intensive lollipopping and pruning:
The first is that once you’re past day 20 or so and the stretch is done, hormones and energy paths are locked to the bud sites that are present. If you prune past this time the energy does NOT get redirected to the top sites, as the hormones are now focused on building on the available bud sites and not healing lower sites to produce more weight up top.
The Second school of thought, and this is one that makes more sense to me, taken with a grain of salt (as with most things), is that it doesn’t matter. If you remove a bud site, given it’s not the END of flower, the energy that would have gone to that site will now bypass said bud site. The nutrient uptake will continue to travel to the next sites up to pack on more weight up top. Actually heard a day 22 and 42 pruning is amazing.
So basically I’m just reaching out for opinions and conversation on the matter. I guess you could call this a diary/conversation thread. I think I’ll carry out a late pruning but what do you guys think? I’ll try to upload some shots soon.
Thanks for stopping by!
Zoo

1 Like

yes i like a heavy pruning between the 2nd and 3rd week of flowering and after that just removing leaves that are blocking bud sites (that can’t be tucked). maybe next time i will try a week 5 or 6 prune but with a 49 day strain i’m not sure how much benefit that would be for increasing weight, i’d imagine it’s beneficial for increasing airflow to prevent rot and mold

Here are some shots of the canopy and bases. Learned a lot already so far. I managed to keep them nice and low for the most part. Next time I scrog though I will definitely cut veg time by at least 2 weeks

4 Likes

Yes as with most things I’ve found it all depends on the specifics. Naturally with a 7 week strain I feel like you’d want to stop removing anything after around day 35

2 Likes

wow how big is that container? do you just have 1 big bed for all your plants?? they’re looking nice!! i abandoned my scrog 2 weeks in to flower because i couldn’t reach the back of the tent to defoliate/prune and i had a thrips problem to take care of. i’m sure my yield was reduced by removing it and not putting it back. next grow i think i’m going to just double the amount of plants and grow without a scrog

All three are in a single 15 gallon bed. My philosophy is bigger roots, bigger fruits! It’s tough to get substantial buds under an led in a 2x2.5 tent but so far it looks like a single bed under a scrog is the way to go.

1 Like

a quick scan of the thread and i couldn’t find it so sorry if this has been asked, but what light are you powering this grow with? roots = fruits but light can also be a limiting factor!

I use a rapidled onyx panel. 250w 28x10w cree diodes.

1 Like

nice, should be able to get a good yield with that! your tent looks pretty packed with bud sites. so that photo is only ~7 days after your last defoliation?!